David Bowie album ranking

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BruceWayne, Dec 15, 2021.

1. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Forum Resident Thread Starter

I doubt this warrants its own thread, but I didn’t know where else to post it. Hope that doesn’t ruffle anyone’s feathers.

I started going through his entire discography and writing down some brief thoughts on each album. Preface this by saying I’m a new-ish fan. I came to Bowie’s music only within the last several years with the career box sets and I've taken them just one at a time as they've been released. Tin Machine, the 90s, and the 00s stuff are all very new to me and as a result those albums haven’t had as much time to settle. I tried to give them their fair shot compared to the earlier albums though.

I’m also curious to know how other fans might rank David Bowie’s albums, so if you feel like it, post your own ranking. Here's mine.

DAVID BOWIE (1967)
    1/5
    This just isn’t my kind of music. I don’t do repeat listens to this album often. Maybe there’s just something lost on me. I feel guilty for disliking this so much, but it is not my cup of tea at all.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Rubber Band

DAVID BOWIE (1969)
    2/5
    Remarkably better than his debut album. Still, it doesn’t quite reach the level of greatness that I know Bowie will achieve later on but it's a good start.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Space Oddity, Memory of a Free Festival

THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD
    2.5/5
    Finally, the glam rock period begins. My favorite era. Despite that, I find this album to be a little uninteresting overall.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Black Country Rock, The Man Who Sold the World

HUNKY DORY
    4/5
    After Bowie’s first three records, this is a really nice change of pace. There’s nothing tedious about listening to this one from start to finish. Not one song bores me.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Changes, Oh! You Pretty Things, Life on Mars?, Kooks, Quicksand

THE RISE AND FALL OF ZIGGY STARDUST AND THE SPIDERS FROM MARS
    5/5
    I know this is the safe choice for picking as my favorite, but what can I say? I love everything about it. My favorite DB album.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Five Years, Soul Love, Moonage Daydream, Starman, It Ain’t Easy, Lady Stardust, Star, Ziggy Stardust, Rock ‘n’ Roll Suicide

ALADDIN SANE
    5/5
    The last Ziggy album, and it’s not as stellar as TRAFOZSATSFM but it’s still pretty great. This is an awesome follow-up. And it has my favorite Bowie song of all time: TIME.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Watch That Man, Drive-In Saturday, Cracked Actor, Time, The Prettiest Star, Lady Grinning Soul

PIN UPS
    2/5
    This is kind of disappointing and feels like a step back. It’s weird because I don’t dislike most of it. But nothing stands out either, and it almost feels like a struggle to get through the whole thing.

FAVORITE TRACKS: See Emily Play, Where Have All the Good Times Gone

DIAMOND DOGS
    4.5/5
    Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (Reprise) is probably my second favorite song in his entire discography. I prefer the iSelect version that meshes all of them together so that they aren’t separate tracks and play seamlessly. I think his vocals are just on pure fire in this song.
    Anyway, the Chant at the end is kind of jarring. That and Future Legend sorta throw things off a little, in the same way that the Seque parts make Outside a little awkward.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Diamond Dogs, Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (Reprise), We Are the Dead, 1984

YOUNG AMERICANS / THE GOUSTER
    4/5
    I know The Gouster isn't official, but I plan on including Toy so I wanted to include Gouster too. Since many of the songs are repeats, I’m grouping both albums together.
    This represents a big shift in style, and it’s really pretty great.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Young Americans, Fascination, Right, Somebody Up There Likes Me, Fame, Who Can I Be Now?

STATION TO STATION
    4.5/5
    Wikipedia says the Thin White Duke was sympathetic to Nazis and fascism. Weird. Anyway, I love this album so much. It’s so short though! I think this record displays his absolute best vocals. Especially on Wild is the Wind…wow, just a brilliant vocal take.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Station to Station, Word on a Wing, Wild is the Wind

LOW
    5/5
    Right from the get go, another change in direction and style. I wish Breaking Glass was longer. It’s such a cool song that ends so quickly. I’m not usually into instrumental tracks, especially when they make up a good portion of an album, but the ones here aren’t bad and some are actually great.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Speed of Life, Breaking Glass, What in the World, Sound and Vision, Always Crashing the Same Car, Be My Wife, A New Career in a New Town

“HEROES”
    4.5/5
    I feel this one gets bogged down with too many instrumentals. It starts with really strong tracks and then ends on a low note until the very final song. Having said that, I still absolutely love this album.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Beauty and the Beast, Joe the Lion, “Heroes”, Sons of the Silent Age, Blackout

LODGER
    4/5
    I like this a lot but it doesn’t reach the heights of the first two Berlin-triology albums.

FAVORITE TRACKS: D.J., Boys Keep Swinging

SCARY MONSTERS (AND SUPER CREEPS)
    5/5
    Another shift in style and I couldn't love it more. Would it be hyperbolic to say David Bowie was a musical/creative genius? Every song here is memorable, enjoyable.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Up the Hill Backwards, Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps), Ashes to Ashes, Fashion, Teenage Wildlife, It’s No Game Pt. 2

LET’S DANCE
    3.5/5
    This may be the most commercial album he ever released. I say that as a beginner fan, so I might be wrong. It’s also very 80s, but I know there are even 80-er albums coming.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Modern Love, Let’s Dance, Criminal World, Cat People (Putting Out Fire)

TONIGHT
    1.5/5
    I know a lot of people consider this to be either his weakest record, or one of his weakest. I think I have to agree. It’s just so…uninspired. I will say that although I’ve read a lot of criticism of his cover of God Only Knows…I kinda don’t mind it. Even so, Blue Jean is the only song that really stands out that much.

FAVORITE SONGS: Loving the Alien, Blue Jean

NEVER LET ME DOWN
    2/5
    Definitely an improvement over Tonight. I also will say that I enjoy the 2018 version of the album much more. I don’t think this is as bad as many people say.
    (Just to note, I listened to the version of the album that includes Too Dizzy. I know David didn’t like the song and wanted it excluded from all future editions. But I felt like I needed to listen to it here since it was originally released that way.)

FAVORITE TRACKS: Time Will Crawl

TIN MACHINE
    3/5
    A welcome departure from the Tonight/NLMD era Bowie. I’m actually surprised this is David Bowie. It’s a big change from what came before. I’ve noted how he’s shifted styles many times throughout his career but this seems to be the biggest shift so far.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Heaven’s in Here, Prisoner in Love, Working Class Hero

TIN MACHINE II
    3/5
    Seems like more of the same from the first TM album. Nothing really bad, but little that stands out. A solid listen nonetheless.

FAVORITE TRACKS: You Belong in Rock n’ Roll, Betty Wrong

BLACK TIE WHITE NOISE
    3/5
    This feels almost like a reemergence for him after an inconsistent decade. It’s a little too 90s-dance for me, but it’s also done in a way that isn’t terrible.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Jump They Say, Miracle Goodnight, The Wedding Song

THE BUDDHA OF SUBURBIA
    2/5
    Experimenting again. It just doesn’t hold my attention. I’ve said before how I’m not that into instrumental tracks, and that continues to be the case here. Unfortunately, there are quite a few on this album. I can excuse that, since it’s a soundtrack but those tracks bring things down for me.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Strangers When We Meet, Dead Against It

1. OUTSIDE
    4/5
    He's back strong. Honestly, the only thing that throws this album off are all the segues, but thankfully there aren’t THAT many of them. I realize he’s trying to tell a story, and it’s a concept record, but I just don’t care about it. The songs, though, more than make up for it.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Outside, The Hearts Filthy Lesson, A Small Plot of Land, Hallo Spaceboy, The Motel, I’m Deranged, Strangers When We Meet

EARTHLING
    4/5
    I’ve read a lot of criticisms about this one, but I don't see it. I think it’s a natural progression from Outside. The drum/bass stuff doesn’t bother in the slightest. It’s definitely a product of its time and some may say it’s aged poorly but I disagree.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Battle For Britain (The Letter), Seven Years in Tibet, Dead Man Walking, I’m Afraid of Americans

‘HOURS…’
    2/5
    It’s easy listening/adult rock with this one. I really dislike Thursday’s Child; some of the lyrics seem pretentious. Overall, a let down to a decade where he seemed to finally be settling into a consistent creative streak.

FAVORITE TRACKS: If I’m Dreaming My Life, Seven, The Pretty Things Are Going to Hell

TOY
    1.5/5
    Like most of his more mediocre albums, I don’t hate this one. I’m even more bored here than I was with Tonight.

FAVORITE TRACKS: I Dig Everything

HEATHEN
    4/5
    Back to form once again. I can’t shake the feeling that this is the beginning of the end of a career. Listening to the album with that knowledge changes how I’m hearing it. It’s thoughtful, insightful, beautiful.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Sunday, Slip Away, Slow Burn, Afraid, I Would Be Your Slave, Everyone Says ‘Hi’

REALITY
    3/5
    Not as heartfelt as Heathen, and therefore it’s a bit of a step back. There’s a lot to like here. And there are many moments throughout the record that still conjure up feelings of mortality.

FAVORITE TRACKS: New Killer Star, Pablo Picasso, The Loneliest Guy, Days

THE NEXT DAY
    4/5
    I’m at the penultimate album. I don't think (?) that he knew he was dying yet, but there seems to be a sense of urgency here. It might just be in my head.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Dirty Boys, The Stars (Are Out Tonight), Love is Lost, Dancing Out in Space

BLACKSTAR
    5/5
    This is it. It’s a man who knows he’s writing his last chapter. A man who knows he’s at the end. It feels morose, in that light, to say that I love this record. But I do and it’s one of his best. He ended on a high note. Lazarus may just be one of the most emotional songs I’ve ever heard. Same with the video. It reminds me so much of Johnny Cash’s cover of Hurt, and its video. Both have such finality to them.
    Like a last breath.

FAVORITE TRACKS: Blackstar, Lazarus, Sue (Or in a Season of Crime), Dollar Days, I Can’t Give Everything Away

Albingus, spindly, Spinone and 14 others like this.
  2. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Forum Resident Thread Starter

For anyone interested, here's how I'd rank them:

1. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
    2. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
    3. Aladdin Sane
    4. Low
    5. Blackstar
    6. Station to Station
    7. Diamond Dogs
    8. "Heroes"
    9. Hunky Dory
    10. Young Americans / The Gouster
    11. 1. Outside
    12. Lodger
    13. Earthling
    14. Heathen
    15. The Next Day
    16. Let's Dance
    17. Tin Machine
    18. Black Tie White Noise
    19. Reality
    20. Tin Machine II
    21. The Man Who Sold the World
    22. Never Let Me Down
    23. 'Hours...'
    24. Pin Ups
    25. The Buddha of Suburbia
    26. David Bowie (1969)
    27. Tonight
    28. Toy
    29. David Bowie (1967)

3. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Low
    Honky Dory
    ziggy
    station
    scary monsters
    Alladin sane
    Blackstar
    Let’s Dance
    young Americans

then the rest

4. zither

zither Forum Resident

1st Division
    Low
    Station To Station
    Ziggy Stardust
    Heroes
    Scary Monsters
    Hunky Dory
    Blackstar
    Diamond Dogs
    Lodger

2nd Division
    Aladdin Sane
    Young Americans
    The Man Who Sold The World
    Buddha
    Earthling
    Heathen
    1.Outside

3rd Division
    David Live
    Space Oddity
    Reality
    Stage
    Toy
    The Next Day

All the rest....

Roland Bart and J. Frank Parnell like this.
  5. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

5 * Albums

Station to Station
    Hunky Dory
    Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
    Aladdin Sane
    Ziggy Stardust

4* Albums

Heathen
    Diamond Dogs
    Low
    Reality
    Heroes

3* Albums

Young Americans
    The Next Day
    Blackstar
    1. Outside
    The Man Who Sold the World
    Lodger
    David Bowie (1969)
    Black Tie White Noise
    The Buddha of Suburbia
    Let’s Dance
    Toy
    Hours

2* Albums
    Earthling
    Pin Ups
    Never Let Me Down
    Tonight
    David Bowie (1967)

dennis the menace likes this.
  6. Woozoom939

Woozoom939 Forum Resident

Aside from the earliest recordings and pin ups, I’m a huge fan through to scary monsters, but after that lose interest

sound chaser and audiotom like this.
  7. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

Ziggy Stardust
    Low
    Station To Station
    Lodger
    Hunky Dory
    Aladdin Sane
    Heroes
    Scary Monsters
    Diamond Dogs
    Young Americans
    The Man Who Sold The World
    Space Oddity
    Let’s Dance

After that everything is still good to very good, but not worth it to me to rank against each other.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

So, after reading about it for a long time and being intrigued because I do like the early Bowie songs, it seems that Toy turned out to be a disliked album.

9. Bucks

Bucks Forum Resident

I’ll do my top ten and my least favorite, I can’t be bothered to rank them all. I’m including live albums:

Top 10:

I’m Only Dancing (The Soul Tour 74)
    David Live
    Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
    Young Americans
    Station to Station
    Cracked Actor
    Diamond Dogs
    Bowie at the Beeb: The Best of the BBC Radio Sessions 68-72 (Disc 2)
    Ziggy Stardust
    Low

Least favorite: Reality

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

David Bowie ***
    David Bowie (Space Oddity) ****
    The Men Who Sold The World ****
    Hunky Dory *****
    Ziggy Stardust *****
    Aladdin Sane *****
    Pin Ups **
    Diamond Dogs ****
    Young Americans *****
    Station To Station *****
    Low *****
    "Heroes" ****
    Lodger ***
    Scary Monsters ***
    Let's Dance ***
    Tonight **

After this I have almost all the albums but haven't played them enough to rate. A couple of years before he died I near completed my Bowie collection from the likes of Music Magpie very cheap. It was too much in a short time to take in though and the Let's Dance - Reality albums mostly sit on the shelf barely touched. They've all been played and I remember enjoying most of them. I found Outside annoying and didn't like Earthling, but both have their moments. I don't have Never Let Me Down, the Tin Machine albums or The Buddha of Suburbia (which I do want). I was very excited when he came back with:

The Next Day ****
    Blackstar ****

Of the live albums I love Bowie at the BBC, Santa Monica '72, Nassau '76 and The Soul Tour '74. The next priority buys are Welcome To The Blackout and Cracked Actor.

skisdlimit likes this.
  11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

The Man Who Sold the World [Mercury, 1970] B+
    Hunky Dory [RCA Victor, 1971] A
    The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
    [RCA Victor, 1972] A
    Aladdin Sane [RCA Victor, 1973] A
    Pin-Ups [RCA Victor, 1973] B-
    Diamond Dogs [RCA Victor, 1974] B
    Young Americans [RCA Victor, 1975] B+
    Station to Station [RCA Victor, 1976] A
    Low [RCA Victor, 1977] A
    "Heroes" [RCA Victor, 1977] A
    Lodger [RCA Victor, 1979] A-
    Scary Monsters [RCA Victor, 1980] A
    Let's Dance [EMI America, 1983] B-
    Tonight [EMI America, 1984] C+
    Never Let Me Down [EMI America, 1987] C
    Black Tie White Noise [Savage, 1993] C+
    Outside [Virgin, 1995] B-
    Earthling [Virgin, 1997] B-
    Hours . . . [Virgin, 1999] C+
    Toy
    [ISO/Columbia, 2001] B-
    Heathen
    [ISO/Columbia, 2002] B
    Reality [ISO/Columbia, 2002] B
    The Next Day
    [ISO/Columbia, 2013] A-
    Blackstar
    [ISO/Columbia, 2016] A

Tingman likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

David Bowie - I probably haven't heard it enough, but I didn't like it.

David Bowie (Space Oddity) 4 - newish to me, but enjoyed it

The Man Who Sold The World 4
    Hunky Dory 5
    Ziggy Stardust 5
    Aladdin Sane 5
    Pin Ups 2
    Diamond Dogs 4.5
    Young Americans 3.5
    Station To Station 5
    Low 4.5
    "Heroes" 4
    Lodger 5
    Scary Monsters 4.5
    Let's Dance 5
    Tonight 3
    Never Let Me Down 3.5

Black Tie White Noise 3 - new to me. Kind of seems like a latter day Young Americans... doesn't really work for me.

Buddha Of Suburbia 2 - really didn't think much of this, but it is a soundtrack

Outside 4 - a good return to form

Hours..... not sure, need more listens

Earthling 4 - enjoyed the one a lot too

Toy - not sure yet. Quite liked it

Heathen 4.5 - this is a much better album than word of mouth would have led me to believe.

Reality 4 - another solid album

The Next Day - haven't heard it yet

Blackstar...... I have given this a couple of listens, and I understand its significance, but so far it just isn't clicking with me.

skisdlimit and johnnyyen like this.
  13. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Rankings: 1-6 stars.

David Bowie **
    David Bowie (Space Oddity) ****
    The Man Who Sold The World ****
    Hunky Dory ******
    Ziggy Stardust ******
    Aladdin Sane *****
    Pin Ups **
    Diamond Dogs *****
    Young Americans ****
    Station To Station ******
    Low ******
    "Heroes" ******
    Lodger ******
    Scary Monsters ******
    Let's Dance ****
    Tonight **
    Never Let Me Down **
    Tin Machine ****
    Tin Machine II ***
    Black Tie White Noise ****
    Buddha Of Surburbia ****
    1.Outside *****
    Earthling *****
    ‘…hours’ ****
    Toy ****
    Heathen *****
    Reality ****
    The Next Day *****
    Blackstar *****

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

David Bowie **1/2
    David Bowie (Space Oddity) ***1/2
    The Man Who Sold The World ****
    Hunky Dory *****
    Ziggy Stardust *****
    Aladdin Sane *****
    Pin Ups ***
    Diamond Dogs ****1/2
    Young Americans ***
    Station To Station *****
    Low ****1/2
    "Heroes" *****
    Lodger ****
    Scary Monsters ***
    Let's Dance ***
    Tonight **
    Never Let Me Down*
    Black Tie White Noise**1/2
    Outside***
    Eathling***
    Hours**
    Heathen**
    Reality*
    The Next Day ***1/2
    The Next Day Extra ****
    Blackstar**

15. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

David Bowie 4
    David Bowie (Space Oddity) 4
    The Man Who Sold The World 4
    Hunky Dory 5
    Ziggy Stardust 5
    Aladdin Sane 4
    Pin Ups
    Diamond Dogs 5
    Young Americans 4
    Station To Station 5
    Low 5
    "Heroes" 5
    Lodger 4
    Scary Monsters 4
    Let's Dance 5
    Tonight
    Never Let Me Down
    Black Tie White Noise
    Outside
    Eathling
    Hours
    Heathen 4
    Reality
    The Next Day 5
    The Next Day Extra
    Blackstar 4

Incredible artist. I have rated his albums in the context of all other artists I have heard. Some ratings may seem high as a result. After all, Bowie was one of the best. All ratings out of 5.

No rating means I have not heard it or know it sufficiently.

16. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

It's disturbing that 'Pin Ups' is ranked so low by so many.
    It's a great album!
    Bowie rocks out on some British singles he dug when he was a young(er) dude.

17. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

David Bowie 2/5
    David Bowie (Space Oddity) 3/5
    The Man Who Sold The World 4/5
    Hunky Dory 5/5
    Ziggy Stardust 4/5
    Aladdin Sane 5/5
    Pin Ups 3/5
    Diamond Dogs 5/5
    Young Americans 4/5
    Station To Station 5/5
    Low 5/5
    "Heroes" 5/5
    Lodger 4/5
    Scary Monsters 5/5
    Let's Dance 3/5
    Tonight 1/5
    Never Let Me Down 0/5
    Tin Machine 3/5
    Tin Machine II 1/5
    Black Tie White Noise 3/5
    Buddha Of Suburbia 4/5
    1.Outside 5/5
    Earthling 4/5
    ‘…hours’ 3/5
    Toy 3/5
    Heathen 4/5
    Reality 3/5
    The Next Day 4/5
    Blackstar 5/5

Ludger and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  18. zither

zither Forum Resident

You're being very generous :laugh:

Rorsontherun, JDeanB, Shindo and 5 others like this.
  19. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Must check it out. Never heard it!

20. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

You left out ‘Bring Me The Disco King’, which I consider one Bowie’s Best Songs from his entire career.

Also, think ‘The Bewlay Brothers’ from Hunky Dory is one of his Best Early ‘70s Songs.

Also, think that ‘Ricochet’ from Let’s Dance is underrated and sounds like s Song that Peter Gabriel would have written.

I got into Bowie when my First Album bought was ‘Black Tie, White Noise’, and loved that Album, and bought the Singles 2 CDs Set around that time. Although, soon after bought his earlier Albums and love his run from Station to Station through Scary Monsters and Ziggy Stardust & Aladdin Sane. Also, love 1. Outside, Heathen and Blackstar among his later Albums. I like The Next Day, although a few of the Songs sound derivative of a few of his Older Songs. I am not dismissing any of Bowie’s Albums though, except for the initial 1967 Album and Tonight and Never Let Me Doen(actually never owned those 2 Albums, until I bought the LTA Box Set a few years ago).

The BLA 6 Albums also helped me appreciate the Albums, from which they were played for on the 1995-1999 Tours, although still irritated on the way those CDs and Vinyl Records were released by Parlophone, which became a feeding frenzy for the last few Titles(fortunately I was able to get copies). Probably a few better choices could have been made to release from those Tours for the BLA Albums. Hoping we get a Concert from the Heathen Tour, which included ‘Low’ played in its entirety.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    ericthegardener likes this.
  21. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

I was about to post that I seem to be about the only person on the planet who totally digs Pin Ups, but now I find I'm not alone.

IMO this a terrific collection of covers of songs Bowie loved. Bought the lp upon release and still play it regularly.

Bill

22. Willow Farmer

Willow Farmer Stamped “ human bacon “ by some butchery tool

Good potential thread .
    I am a Bowie fan and like most of his work .
    I’m probably going to get shot but as good as Blackstar is , I can’t help wondering if it was elevated more because of his untimely death two days after it’s release ( fourth best selling album ? )
    I know I’m probably in the minority but I don’t rate it as highly as I do with his earlier albums .
    Be constructive and gentle please !

Beechlander likes this.
  23. zither

zither Forum Resident

I think emotions were running high after his passing. I bought it on the Friday, played it over the weekend extensively, only to find out he'd died on the Sunday. I still believe it's up there with his very best. A poignant, artistic goodbye to his fans.

24. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Ziggy at the top

chumlie1 and Ghost of Ziggy like this.
  25. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Space Oddity 3/5
    TMWSTW 4/5
    Hunk Dory 5/5
    Ziggy 5/5
    Aladdin 5/5
    Pin Ups 2/5