David Bowie and Elton John?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theMess, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone ever seen the two of them together? I seem to remember one of these 'looking back' programs showed some footage of them goofing around together in the early 90's, but I cannot find it anywhere. There doesn't seem to be a single photo of them together.
    The closest I have found is Elton's appearance in the recent BBC Ziggy Documentary.

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Wouldn't they have been onstage together for the UK Live Aid finale?

theMess likes this.
  3. theMess

Good point. There aren't any photos of them together on stage, but they must both have been up there.

4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

They don't get on.

Both performed at the 1992 Freddie Mercury Concert for AIDS Awareness, although, if memory serves, neither appeared onstage for the finale.

theMess likes this.
  5. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Maybe they are the same person.

Haristar, duggan, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  6. theMess

:D

7. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Interesting. I checked a book I have of Elton John and his career in pictures. No David Bowie in it.

8. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Now that you mention it, it is interesting that they "don't get on," as Stepeanut put it. I never thought about it before I don't recall ever seeing photos of them together. And they were both good friends with John Lennon for a bit in the late 70s, so you'd think they would have met through him, or hung out a bit.

Perhaps there were just one too many queens in the room when they got together. ;)

soka and JoeF. like this.
  9. drasil

drasil Former Resident

[​IMG]

well, there you have it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  10. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Another friend of both was Marc Bolan, which might also have lead to some encounters.

sound chaser likes this.
  11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I have seen photos of Marc with both separately.

Darryl

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The only things I've read about Bowie and EJ are the following:

1) Bowie always thought "Rocket Man" was a rip off of "Space Oddity" and apparently he wasn't too thrilled about it. During one of the live BBC recordings of "Space Oddity" from the early 70s, Bowie actually sings "I'm A Rocket Man" at one point.

1) When Bowie debuted his more theatrical production of the Ziggy Stardust "show" at the Rainbow in London (in August 1972 I believe) Elton John was in attendance. Apparently he was very "put off" by the androgynous production and complained about it (to the press?). Of course this was before Elton had "come out" himself, which might explain why he was so uncomfortable with the whole thing.

There's a page dedicated to the Rainbow show here:

http://www.5years.com/raincon.htm

The following quote is attributed to Elton regarding this gig:

"What will I see tonight? I think I'll see an amazing show. I've followed him since he was doing gigs at The Marquee - years ago. I remember him from the Lower Third and all that rubbish. I think he's great. I think Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust are masterpieces. The lyrics and the story in "Ziggy"? Well I don't know too much about that. I just enjoy the music". Afterwards, however, the same site reports: "Elton John reportedly walked out before the finale saying "He's blown it now. He'll never mean anything any more!" (an allusion to Bowie's outrageous camp act which Elton found to be an affront as he chose to hide his bisexuality at this time".

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

This is a really interesting thread. I had never thought about them not being photographed together before. Elton is on record as having an opinion on most artists at some point in their career, but not on Bowie it would seem.
    The big players in the early 70's UK music scene were Bolan, Bowie Elton and Rod. All had been releasing records since the 60's and lived in London, so must have known each other. There are pictures of Bolan, Rod and Elton together. Interestingly, both Bowie and Rod attended Bolan's funeral in 1997, but not Elton, even though they were great friends.

14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Bolan's funeral was in 1977.

Darryl

15. herky10

herky10 Forum Resident

16. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Tonight on Fox, When English Rock Stars Feud

JoeF., arthurprecarious and drasil like this.
  17. rokritr

rokritr Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

Post of the Year (so far), drasil.....LOL

18. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I can't remember where I read it--it's been a while--but Mick Jagger and David bowie made fun of Elton, referring to him as 'fat Reg'. Also, didn't Bowie refer to him as "the Liberace of rock & roll"?

Steve B likes this.
  19. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Great thread idea, never knew there was a problem between the two. Carry on...

PennyLanes likes this.
  20. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Oh, come on, it was obviously a typo.

Steve B likes this.
  21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

OK, I'll give him that.

Darryl

Clarkophile likes this.
  22. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

I remember reading an interview with Elton from around the time of "Blue Moves" where he recalled a dinner conversation with Bowie in which Bowie had professed a desire to be the "Judy Garland of rock": Elton thought it was rather sad for Bowie to want that!

23. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

There was film footage of them in conversation at the Freddie Mercury concert, but I cannot find the footage online, nor a still photograph. It was shown on ITV news in the UK. It does exist; maybe someone else will find it. Odd there's no photograph of this meeting.

24. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Here's Bowie, Jagger and Macca onstage with Elton on piano (and lots of others);

25. inigo jones

inigo jones Forum Resident

Bowie talks about that visit to see Elton John in the book "Moonage Daydream". It's a book of Mick Rock's photos from the Ziggy years that Bowie provided the text for. He paints a somewhat pitiful picture of Elton John, but I don't have the book at hand to provide the quote...

Steve B likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.