David Bowie BOWPROMO LP due April 22, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Really nicely done, this. The five photographs are great quality.

Happy to see legendary Bowie collector Ivor Jones wrote the sleeve notes. Not seen him in years, but top bloke.

Lost In The Flood and oldturkey like this.
  2. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

Worth every single penny

3. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I dont know how it is for you guys in the US, but here the in-store prices for BOWIEPROMO are insane !
    I managed to find two copies this morning, but they were tagged $72 !
    Needless to say I didn't buy one :(

I got the Floyd 12'' and the Zappa 10", though and that's good news.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I thought it looked thoroughly boring. So boring that I only found out at home that I actually saw it.

No idea what the idea behind this historically inaccurate release is.

5. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Haha NO

(Pic from Piccadilly Records in Manchester via Twitter)

[​IMG]

6. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I paid £45 in London, but I still think it's value. It's so well presented and some of the tracks are BETTER than on Hunky Dory. I'm normally quite tight, but I didn't mind paying out for this, I love it. Never gonna leave it.

Better value than £15 for Strawberry Fields.

footstomper likes this.
  7. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Saw three, one at € 62,50 and two at € 72,50 each ten minutes ago. Think it over this weekend.

8. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Oh wow! I knew it was cosmetically a really nice package but I wasn't expecting it to be a real treat for my ears too. It sounds so good, one of the best sounding bowie records in my collection I reckon. Worth every penny. Definitely worth my almost athletic dive for the shelf when I spotted a couple of copies (no actual need as they had more copies behind the counter to put out as space was made!).

9. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

I got it for (in our currency) 45 dollars...I was lucky I guess...Really like the package :)

10. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

My local shop had two copies of Bowpromo and three of Cracked Actor. I grabbed them all and flipped them on eBay already. Ka-ching! (I kid, but I did find a copy of Cracked Actor. Sounds good on first listen.)

11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

The store I went to had several of these but I just couldn't justify paying 60 Euros for this. I had it in my hand and made the call. I'm sure the music sounds amazing but just too much me for me to feel okay to buy.

timnor, Neonbeam, Davidmk5 and 2 others like this.
  12. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

Yeah, that price bothers me as well, but I wasn't able to resist. Damn

Davidmk5 and Todd Fredericks like this.
  13. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Well done, it just encourages this kind of fleecing of collectors. Nothing wrong with the release per se, but £50 / €60 / $100 ... @%#* off greedmongering corps.

14. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Have an order on Amazon Spain, and Italy for this I hope one of them comes

15. rrowley

rrowley Forum Resident

Just been listening to BOWPROMO and it is a nice needle drop.More air than the flacs of dana gillespies copy but it does have the channels reversed!
    What's funny is the included notes by Ivor jones describing the differences between the promo and Hunky Dory tracks so they make no sense now eg

Eight Line Poem: on Hunky Dory, the guitar is more central during the intro, drifts to the left and then back to the centre for the end. On the BOWPROMO version it starts on the right then switches between left and right during the second half, again ending in the centre. On the BOWPROMO, the piano completely natural sounding, whereas on the Hunky Dory it has a flanging effect applied. However, this version is best known for a different vocal take. Bowie sings 'The tactful cactus by your window' vs 'Tactful..' and 'They've opened shops...' vs 'Opened...'. The echo used on 'collision' in the line 'Mobile spins to its collision' is also missing on the BOWPROMO.

So Bowie is credited as playing 'phased piano' for Eight line poem when the liner notes say this version isn't phased.

It must have been Friday dinner time:D

scobb and footprintsinthesand like this.
  16. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Yeah i too saw them all day $53 - $55 and i too just could not justify paying that for one side either , i left them & the stores still have some today , it's just too much $$$ , i would love to have it as a fan & i'm certainly happy to hear those that bought it love it .........

17. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

if the above info on Eight Line Poem is accurately quoted from the liner notes then it's directly lifted from here: David Bowie - Illustrated db Discography > BOWPROMO white-label promo LP
    which in turn was modified from my own observations in a forum discussion re: differences between the promo and eventual Hunky Dory mixes.
    Parlophone have kept up the long-standing tradition of typos and misinformation on Bowie releases.

as for reversed channels, this was true of Eight Line Poem when released as the b-side to the Changes RSD single from 2015, although without an original to compare it to, the description above was based on the needledrop that circulates. however, It Ain't Easy on that version matches the final Ziggy Stardust release which suggests they got it wrong on the Parlophone. the only other officially released Bowie track is Bombers, but that's a different mix to the Rykodisc bonus track so not a reliable comparison. one of the Diana Gillespie tracks/mixes (Andy Warhol) was issued on a compilation and that too matches the channels of the circulating needledrop. what evidence there is suggests that Parlophone have messed up.

18. Neonbeam

Same here. Had another chance to get it for 55€ yesterday but I'd rather buy a full set of "Labyrinth" related 12-inches.

19. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

not too many years ago 50 cents would have got you the set.

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. Neonbeam

Ja! Incidentally a local seller had gotten an enormous Bowie collection (around 150 discs) last Saturday (R! S! D!) and the stuff that caught my eye were all these 1986/87 12-inches. I mean... wow... so many! Most are now 10€. And I thought I'd rather blow my money on these than on Bowpromo. Ended up buying "Baal" for 10€ eventually.

21. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i have several Baal 12"s (US, Canada, Germany, Japan) and they used to be in the $5 or less range even sealed. the likes of Day In, Day Out, When The Wind Blows and Underground were hard to give away for several years. times have changed even if the quality of the music hasn't.

scobb and Neonbeam like this.
  22. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

This is a nice set on all fronts, but for the price I admit I could have done with just an insert of the liner notes and photos and maybe shave $20-$30 off the top. It's not like the white box with the sticker on it adds all that much aesthetic value, especially when the same sticker is used on the sleeve itself.

23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

That is quite shocking after all the effort of getting six tracks back on a luxurious vinyl box release. Elvis says: return to sender, address on Lodger.

rrowley likes this.
  24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

25. rrowley

rrowley Forum Resident

scobb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.