DAVID BOWIE Cracked Actor LP due April 22, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. G E

G E Senior Member

Very exciting news! Count me in.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  3. downer

downer Senior Member

What. the. f***.

Surely THIS rather than the 'David Live' repetition would have been better in the 'WCIBN' box....

I surrender.

~ CRACKED ACTOR (LIVE IN LOS ANGELES 1974) 3 x LP SET

To commemorate the 10th anniversary of Record Store Day on April 22nd, Parlophone will be releasing two limited edition David Bowie albums, CRACKED ACTOR (Live In Los Angeles 1974) and a facsimile of the ultra-rare Hunky Dory era promo album BOWPROMO.

The former is the first official release of this Philly Dogs Tour show from September 1974, some of which was featured in Alan Yentob’s BBC documentary, Cracked Actor. The full concert is documented on this triple vinyl five-sided album. The sixth side features an etching of the Diamond Dogs era Bowie logo.

All of the multi-track tapes were finally reunited in one place in November of last year and mixed officially for the first time by long time Bowie collaborator Tony Visconti. The packaging features newly commissioned artwork with rare and unseen photographs from the 1974 Universal Amphitheatre show by Terry O’Neill and Jamie Andrews in a gatefold sleeve.

The album differs greatly from Bowie’s David Live album (also from 1974), as it features a new band line up including soul legend Luther Vandross on vocals. It also has a different set list including two tracks that had just been recorded for the album The Gouster, which was finally released for the first time last year as part of the critically acclaimed ‘Who Can I Be Now?’ box set.

DAVID BOWIE - CRACKED ACTOR (LIVE LOS ANGELES ’74) (3 LP SET)

Side 1:

Introduction

Rebel Rebel

Moonage Daydream

Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing

Side 2:

Changes

Suffragette City

Aladdin Sane

All The Young Dudes

Cracked Actor

Side 3:

Rock ‘n’ Roll With Me

Knock On Wood

It’s Gonna Be Me

Space Oddity

Side 4:

Diamond Dogs

Big Brother

Time

Side 5:

The Jean Genie

Rock ‘n’ Roll Suicide

John, I’m Only Dancing (Again)

Side 6:

David Bowie logo etching

Recorded live at Universal Amphitheatre, Los Angeles on 5th September 1974. Produced by David Bowie. Mixed by Tony Visconti at Human Studios, NYC in October/November 2016.

Musicians:

David Bowie - vocals, guitar, harmonica

Earl Slick - guitar

Carlos Alomar - guitar

Mike Garson – piano, Mellotron

David Sanborn - alto sax, flute

Pablo Rosario - conga

Doug Raunch - bass

Greg Errico – drums

Backing vocals - Warren Peace, Anthony Hinton, Luther Vandross, Ava Cherry, Diane Sumler and Robin Clark.

4. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Do you guys think this will come in digital format at some point?

That looks like a tremendous release?

5. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I sincerely hope this isn't an RSD exclusive. I hate having to fight for RSD exclusive releases.

6. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

No way will that be RSD only, it'll likely get reissued a couple of months after RSD.

vonwegen, jimhb, obi and 2 others like this.
  7. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Mixed after the box set was released. Wonder if this was originally planned for the last box, but didn't come together in time...

Mr. Explorer and TonyCzar like this.
  8. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Is the list out yet for rsd?

9. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Is the common b00t also from Sept 5th?

11. SoundAdvice

Comparing David Live and this, there's a few different tracks, different bass/drums, backing vocals and added woodwinds.

2017 RSD

It’s Gonna Be Me
    John, I’m Only Dancing (Again)

Doug Raunch - bass
    Greg Errico – drums
    Backing vocals - Anthony Hinton, Luther Vandross, Ava Cherry, Diane Sumler and Robin Clark.

2005 EMI/Virgin[edit]
    11. "Watch That Man" 4:55
    2. "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow"
    5. "Panic in Detroit" (Bonus track) 5:41
    8. "The Width of a Circle" 8:12

Bowie Fett likes this.
  12. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

No cd?

snowman872 and footlooseman like this.
  13. SoundAdvice

I'm waiting for the blu ray.

pscreed likes this.
  14. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I'd guess not. They'll make a packet from this as a separate release, and the RSD hype around it will act as massive free advertising before a proper release.

footprintsinthesand and obi like this.
  15. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Your profile pic :agree:

vonwegen and BlueSpeedway like this.
  16. downer

downer Senior Member

Must be part of the comprehensive plan...

Robert C likes this.
  17. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Amazing! Let's hope for a cd release soon :)

18. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Forget RSD and wait

The price charged for these will be stupid. £11.99 isn't it for the RSD 7" Bowie Picture Disc isn't it normally? God knows what "recommended" price this will come with, if at all. Stores can charge what they like

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

In all fairness, the 2005 remix of "David Live" is totally worthwhile so the question which to include was a bit of a problem. For historic accuracy definitely the 1974 version. But the 2005 had never been on vinyl and offered a fresh perspective. So I think the standalone release of "Cracked Actor" does make sense.

Ben Adams and obi like this.
  20. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Seems a good idea this release, should be a regular release of course, out of respect for fans. Hope Visconti had good multis to work with. Doug Rauch (correct spelling) almost joined the 27-club.

Funny to see that the RSD anniversary has more significance in the Bowie camp than actual album anniversaries.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    oldturkey, Robert C and DBMethos like this.
  21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, I think it's disgraceful. Firstly, they're Vinyl only. Secondly, they're Limited Editions for RSD - which is now basically a time of year where scalpers can get new stock to hock on Ebay for ever more inflated prices. As a Bowie fan, I don't see why I should not be able to buy the release on a physical medium, or have to go to a Record Store when the closest one to me is in London. I think it's a shame genuine music lovers encourage this nonsense. I've no issue with a Vinyl version, but basically these are set to make scalpers a ton of cash - well done RSD.

22. obi

obi Forum Resident

Exactly. There's no way this isn't getting a full release on multiple formats later on.

23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It should be a normal catalogue release, or at the very least a normal CD release and the vinyl for RSD. There are a lot of Bowie fans that will want this which will mean a lot of them spending a lot of money to obtain these items. I don't see in what way that is a good thing for the label to do.

oldturkey likes this.
  24. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Mmmm. I'm sure it'll be great but am I the only one that thinks the 1971-1974 era has been done to death?

Give me some Scary Monsters outtakes!

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yes, I agree. Madness. We'll likely get it later, I suppose. Honestly, this is yet another own-goal when it comes to Bowie releases, imo.

RSD is way passed its sell-by-date. It's nothing more now than a field day for scalpers with it's deliberately limited editions designed to cause a stir. Worse, imo, some music lovers seem to applaud it as something great. I don't know, I just think it's sad.

Still, hopefully it'll get a proper release. I have a bootleg of the show somewhere here, and it's not awfully different to David Live. In fact, Visconti references a bootleg - probably this one - in the original liner notes for the double-disc release of David Live (2005 Mix). There he intimates the differences are few.

j.barleycorn, Man at C&A and ralphb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.