DAVID BOWIE Cracked Actor LP due April 22, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

How does this compare to "Glass Asylum"?

2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yeah! Yeah!

It'll be alright.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  3. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

All bootlegs of this show are audience recordings. Good ones.

4. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

There are so many copies on Ebay, did anyone buy it for themselves on RSD?

5. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Yes!

6. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yup. Listened to it last night.

7. acidghost

acidghost Active Member

I got it and its fantastic! Packaging is excellent. Sound is excellent. Concert is probably one of the best I have ever heard. Live arrangements are great and add a new dimension to each track. If this had been the only thing I picked up at RSD the hassle would have totally been worth it.

Vinyl_Blues, Bowie Fett and e.s. like this.
  8. footstomper

footstomper Forum Resident

I bought both Bowie albums on RSD. First thing I put on when I got home was "Bowpromo" which sounded absolutely amazing. A bit pricey but worth every penny. I then put Side 1 of the "Cracked Actor" album on and was so underwhelmed I put "Bowpromo" back on again. Not sure how or why so any people think the live album is so special, it looks very nice but I dont think it will get many spins in my house I'm afraid...

9. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Huh. I had the exact opposite reaction. No major revelations on BOWPROMO, although I loved the presentation.

10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Not trying to be contrary, but I'd have a hard time believing all the bootleg sources are audience tapes. In 1974 the Universal Amphitheater was 6,000 plus seat outdoor venue. I'd be floored if someone could get that kind of stealth sound recording at an outdoor concert. I also have notes from one of the older Bowie trading sites (when I downloaded this show years ago) that claim the soundboard tapes became available in "the early 90s" and that's when the CD boots began coming out (that were not needle drops of an earlier LP bootleg). I can't prove any of this of course, but based on that info and my ears, I'm inclinded to believe a soundboard source has been used for the bootlegs since the 90s.

11. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

So sound quality and mix-wise is it not much different to Strange Fascination except for a complete ATYD, less intro and outro and less repartee between songs? Is there more depth of bass? Or is it not as good?
    I pre-ordered mine from Amazon Italy because I wasn't sure I was going to put myself through the queue for RSD. In the end me and my Mrs queued for 4 hours for the experience but I'm still waiting for Cracked Actor, so you could say I'm still queuing!
    Everyone in the queue was after the Bowie items btw, some were misguidedly hoping to buy the Madonna, but I think what happened with the clear vinyl Blackstar has made Bowie records hot property.

12. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i'd say it's a big step up in quality to the boots that i've heard.

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is super annoying because despite all these copies people are asking a premium. I'm going to wait. Not paying flipper prices for a 17 000 copy edition.

14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Minor point of information but why not?: it sounds like an Italian accent to me....

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

There are dozens of copies on Ebay, mostly overpriced considering availability. They aren't all going to sell so I see prices coming down.

e.s. and Neonbeam like this.
  16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Has anyone noticed the ratio of discogs and ebay Cracked Actors between USA and Europe? In Discogs there are dozens from Europe and only 3 from the US.

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I listened to this bootleg of the show the other day for the first time in years and it's worst than I remebered it.
    Like on David Live, he seems completely shagged out and the band are all over the place.

18. Radio-Aktivität

Radio-Aktivität Forum Resident

Did you notice that during Moonage Daydream, (at 2:32 to be precise), David says, "you like ladies dresses, eh?" Don't think that comment is on the bootlegs.

19. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

yes, that makes sense, he's addressing back up vocalist Gui Andrisano who certainly sounds Italian.

footprintsinthesand and bobcat like this.
  20. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Actually when I said "it sounds like an Italian accent" I was putting it mildly, so to speak.

When you live in London you know the difference between an Italian accent and a Spanish accent.

Whether that will be the case in a few years, who knows?

And now back to our previously advertised programme....

21. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I haven't got the bootlegs so I can't comment.

22. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

It is on there - I listened to Strange Fascination (TOM001/002) today.
    Unfortunately Amazon Italia still haven't bothered their arses dispatching my stuff, so it looks like I'll be joining you Neonbeam on the hunt for a copy at a proper price. I can wait though - I know there's plenty out there.

I always thought that accent was like Puerto Rican or Mexican - but then I thought Los Angeles was Las Vegas.
    For me the highlight of the whole gig is John I'm Only Dancing (Again), which I expect people will not agree with, but it's so rare to hear live and I like a bit of funk, me.

Yow! Get down!

Neonbeam likes this.
  23. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I just bought the RSD Flower Travellin' Band's Anywhere on Discogs because I couldn't get it in the shop on Record Store Day. There was only one copy from Europe and about ten from the USA, and I didn't want to pay import charges. Lucky to get the one.

24. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Listening to the needledrop now. Really clean and quiet and good separation. Clearly better than any earlier versions. Does seem a bit midrange dominant and no deep lows.

oldturkey likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haha... had the chance to get one for 65€ today but now my ambition has been awoken.

17 000 copies.
    German retail price: 43€.
    Amazon prices: Ridiculous.

I'm willing to spend 50€. Let's see if I can do it. If I can't well.... so what?! The "Soul" tour has never been my favourite anyway.

Plus: I want to see what a little patience can do. It's like hunting. You gotta know when to strike. Sooner or later one of those copies will come out into the open

Somebody should tell this to the people that paid an unbelievable £150+ for the Quadrophenia soundtrack on green vinyl over the weekend.

oldturkey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.