DAVID BOWIE Cracked Actor LP due April 22, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

My Amazon.it price was EUR 35,40 when I ordered it, but the listing now says EUR 117,94. Ahem.
    Not feeling too optimistic at this point. Quote "Non ancora spedito".

If they screw this up it will be my last ever Amazon.it transaction, and I have a long memory and am known to get very bitter!
    I will say arrividerci Italia!

I'm glad I got the Bowpromo from the reliable old UK record shop though - that was my top target. I will not pay more than £40 if Italy doesn't come through because I'm not going to make any flippers lives happier. They can go flip themselves. :wantsome:

Neonbeam likes this.
  2. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"I will say arrividerci Italia!"....in the Italian accent that Bowie uses? :)

oldturkey likes this.
  3. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

No need to keep watching all night for a movement in the woods. As mentioned this set is for sale via Amazon.fr for 44,73 Euro.

azjvm05 likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

My French is not perfect but I guess I do understand: "Temporairement en rupture de stock."

Has to mean something like "Two copies for the price of one", right??

whatprogress, davesmoked and timnor like this.
  5. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

It means the bloke who packs the Amazon boxes has ruptured his back lifting stock but will be better soon.
    I am assuming temporary really does mean that.

Interesting to see how many Bowpromo boxes are listed on Discogs and eBay. I predict these will go for 40 Euros or less in the end.

azjvm05 and oldturkey like this.
  6. mythnormadman

mythnormadman Someone has to smoke the sky

It was a 16 track recording not 24 tracks. You should not be skeptical stepeanut speaks the truth.

oldturkey and stepeanut like this.
  7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I am skeptical no more as I've been set straight :righton:.

8. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Ha! - You expecta da record? - Or you expecta da elephant?

whatprogress and bobcat like this.
  9. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Maybe this has already been answered but the shop I bought Cracked Actor from in the UK was selling it for £39.99, and the Bowpromo was selling for £59.99.

10. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

The "mantis rip" by any chance? That's the "first to market" I've seen and it seems popular.

11. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Just finished listening to a rip, and I have to say it is definitely much better than David Live, much as I have always loved that album. Bowie is in better voice and the band's performances seem more committed.

jhm and pathosdrama like this.
  12. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

Seems like the US prices just swap pound for dollar, as I was told it was $40 for Cracked Actor, and I paid $55 for BowPromo.

My copy of Cracked Actor is coming today. Ended up paying $75 for it, which doesn't seem horrible. Bowie's website ran a story yesterday about how this was the top selling RSD album release, with BowPromo being number 2, and the No Plan 12" being the top selling single. Given that kind of interest, I don't think the prices are going to come down much from the $100 they seem to be going for.

Totti is god likes this.
  13. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Just a warning to whoever contemplates ordering from Amazon.it:

My order from Amazon Italy to UK :

Ordine effettuato il (Order placed): 26 marzo 2017

Arriverà (Arriving) 27 apr - 2 mag

Non ancora spedito (You think a you gonna get it? Ha! Think again!)

:realmad:

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've ended up paying an eBay flipper way too much for this album. Had to have it and the only record store around here had sold out ... still, I got mine slightly cheaper than the going price for the record online. Plus, the seller accepted my "make an offer" price.

AlienRendel likes this.
  15. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

You're lucky you chose fast delivery. Justa month is-a-really good for Poste Italiane. Hope it doesn't arrive warped ;)

oldturkey likes this.
  16. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Only way to fight the flippers is with your wallet. If people keep paying the ridiculous prices they ask for, they'll continue the practice. I missed out on this and Bowpromo, but I'm not giving in to the scalpers. I'll hold out for a digital release (or non-limited vinyl reissue) in the future...if none comes, c'est la vie. There's plenty of other great music out there. F the flippers.

17. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Completely agree with everything you state, but I would also add that Bowie's label and whoever is managing his estate are equally culpable. They have to know there would be a much higher demand for these items than the limited RSD runs would meet, especially for the live album. I will be shocked if Cracked Actor isn't re-released and made available in digital formats at some point, given that they went to the expense of having Tony Visconti mix it.

AlienRendel likes this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

The expense of mixing and mastering and vinyling is exactly WHY you'd like to have in your business plan a guaranteed sale of (IIRC) 17,000 copies.

Can't fault them for not pursuing practices which would almost certainly put the project in the red.

19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I think it sounds nice too, although at times it sounds like the higher end is going to oversaturate. This is particularly evident during "All The Young Dudes" (which, perhaps not coincidentally, has the lowest DR number of any song on the collection). I wonder if this is because of mastering choices or it's just "on the tapes" and not much could be done about it. The different mixing choices (compared to the bootleg) are interesting. I can hear Mike Garson's playing and the background vocals more prominently. The only thing that I don't like (so far) is Vinconti's choice to mix down Earl Slick in the last few minutes of "Sweet Thing" (roughly 5:00 in). The bootleg has Earl mixed "to the fore" the whole song and it just doesn't sound right to me without his stinging notes punctuating the end of that song! I can see myself "frankensteining" a hyrid of the offical and bootleg versions of this song to keep the guitar intact.

20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I wonder if the whole project except the formerly incomplete ATYD is a single source.

21. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

Got a hold of a FLAC rip of this and am loving it. I've had the 'Strange Fascination' bootleg for years and have always really enjoyed this show. This release is much, much better and more up front sounding though. The bootleg had the same mix (same crowd noises in the same places as well) but was VERY dull sounding. This release sounds much sharper. I enjoy this one much more than 'David Live.' More soulful performance and some different songs, 'It's Gonna Be Me' being the best addition.

sacsongs likes this.
  22. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

I get what you're saying, but I can and do fault them when they choose to release a limited number of copies in a format that the vast majority of listeners don't use in 2017. How would they not make more money by also releasing the album on CD?

23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

In theory 17 000 copies should be enough. Unfortunately this was an album everybody picked up to sell it online. Even though you won't make that much profit if you deduct fees and everything. Then there's the fact that this set is - supposedly - very heavy so you need to charge high postage. At the moment I'm guessing you might make a profit of 10-20$?!

So I managed to find everything I wanted through various sources except for the best selling title, haha!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I believe it is as the bootleg from the multis has everything but that missing section of "All The Young Dudes". I've been speculating with others offline what the source of the missing section is. Perhaps they had a safety copy they patched in?

25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Would you necessarily sell 17,000 copies?

Or 17, and 17,000 people download the rips online an hour later?

It's a luxury product, crafted for an attentive and eager audience (including, yes, speculators). Like VIP and "platinum" ticketing for concerts, if you gotta have it now, you gotta have it now. I see no reason to leave money on the table and not harness that market to pay the bills.

And I'm not saying that as some uber-capitalist, libertarian, sucks-to-be-poor free-marketeer, but as someone most interested in seeing the content broken out of the basement and released.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.