DAVID BOWIE Cracked Actor LP due April 22, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I'm okay with people auctioning two or three RSD titles - sometimes you can't avoid getting two copies while hunting one - but I hate those guys that have lots and lots of RSD stuff and all at inflated "Buy Now" prices. Especially if they are using the official RSD logo to lend their scam an air of authenticity.

Depending on how much I wanted something I might pay one of the first category - hey, I've done it myself! - but I never ever would support one of the latter. "Cracked Actor" I don't want enough.

azjvm05 and BeardedSteven like this.
  2. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Vinyl collectors aren't happy with downloads or streams. Mass availability of a digital version would not have affected sales much or at all.

DBMethos likes this.
  3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

(Again) like concert ticketing, speculators are part of the vinyl "rarities" market.

I applaud them for finding a way to get enormously devalued music into a "scalper's market". The fact is, today's economic divide means that there are people with more money than g-d to blow on an album or concert experience. Be thankful that Parlophone has not developed the instincts of Live Nation, AEG, et al., and put that kind of official price on their product.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

davesmoked and Terry like this.
  5. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

So how would the availability of the album on CD or streaming services have an impact on the vinyl collectors market? Different audiences. The people that are willing to spend $$$ on a limited vinyl pressing aren't going to pass it up just because it's available on other formats.

6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

(Again) like ticket brokering, there's big money in casuals with disposable income who don't keep their ear to the ground about Record Store Day, or show on-sales, whose time is worth too much to stand in line at a record store.

IOW, people who aren't necessarily vinyl fetishists, but might have a turntable and hear - six months from now - about "that rare live David Bowie album". If the going rate is still $75 on ebay, well, that's a pittance to a hell of a lot of people.

P.S.: There was an article in the New Yorker mag 2 or 3 issues ago (Flatiron building cover) about the CEO of Goldenvoice (co-promoter of Coachella) and bringing off "Oldchella", the "Desert Trip" festival with the Stones, McCartney, Roger Waters, Dylan, et al. If he is to be believed, the $199 wayback field tickets sold last, not the $1,599 VIP packages.

7. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

(Again), nothing in your posts suggests that the limited vinyl pressing would not have sold as well if the album were available via digital formats. X number of people want the album on vinyl. That number won't change significantly just because it's available as a CD, streaming, downloads, etc.

8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

You need a parallel universe for this one: a universe where it was confirmed before RSD that a CD or download was coming out a month later. (Also one where people never buy things and keep them sealed, be they Star Wars figurines or David Bowie albums.)

Also, too: People who buy "one for play, and one for stay"

9. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I had an opportunity to hear the album last night (after missing out on buying a copy [or even laying eyes on one in the wild]) and I really really enjoyed it. Much different than the vibe I remember from David Live (which I have not played since it was re-issued on CD in 2005). If/when this is released on another format I will be looking to buy a copy.

10. mythnormadman

mythnormadman Someone has to smoke the sky

[​IMG]
    A picture speaks a thousand words.

jhm likes this.
  11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I think if you had to pick ONE performance for contrast and improvement, it would be "Knock on Wood".

Finally having this pro version really puts "David Live" and "Strange Fascination" (et al.) on equal footing for fair comparisons.

12. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I don't think its going to come. They had plenty of notice to organise a copy for me, and if they had done so I wouldn't be getting "not yet dispatched". It doesn't matter what their estimated arrival date is, if they haven't dispatched it a week after it was released that means they didn't source me a copy and in all likelihood they aren't going to. What they're probably hoping is is that I cancel my order and let them off the hook.

Don't forget I ordered it at the time for the quoted price of 35.40 Euros, which if they sold it to me now at that price means they would make a loss. Honouring an order doesn't matter to them - they're just thinking about the money, or they would have dispatched by now.

If I just let it sit there on order I bet they still won't have sent it in another month's time.
    I think my order is now just a statistic lost in the hugeness of Amazon Corp.

On Saturday in the UK record shops are allowed to sell what's left of the RSD stock, although I think they can already do that in Europe. I'll try to get a copy at the real price from a UK record shop and make a mental note to not use Amazon Italy in future.

Am I bitter? Damned right I am! And proudly bitter. F*** The Man and f*** Amazon Corp. Start paying your UK taxes you b****rds!

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

So it's standard operating procedure for RSD in the UK that, even if a store had an unsold "Cracked Actor" on its hands today (Thursday), the store would be on its honor to not sell it??

14. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Oh what is the point?
    So the music industry is struggling, and they release an analogue remaster of The Idiot which people have been asking for for decades, and they make it so limited it sells out instantly.
    F*** the music industry.

sortvinyl likes this.
  15. footprintsinthesand

I was not prepared for that outburst :laugh: but expecting a British utterly restrained one instead. Kind of like BBC Norman Smith's comments on britain leaving EU. The tenacity he displays while belting out the word ... I bet he even bought a dog named Brack and order it to be seated, just as practice.

oldturkey likes this.
  16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Also, too: while "It's Gonna Be Me" seemed to be nobody's favorite "Gouster" track, it's always been one of my favorite things about the late'74 boots, when it appeared, even with so many of them sounding so awful. It's so great to have this performance of this song.

sacsongs likes this.
  17. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I think that's the case - but for on-line.

TonyCzar likes this.
  18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Never heard that to be honest. I was just wondering why Amazon doesn't have "Cracked Actor" - not talking about third party flippers.

19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Nailed it.

richard a, davesmoked and oldturkey like this.
  20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

So they want to drive foot traffic to their doors. Makes sense.

21. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

TonyCzar likes this.
  22. footprintsinthesand

So we're still in Flippers Week until Saturday.

oldturkey likes this.
  23. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

My local indie store received 33 copies of Cracked Actor. They didn't last the first hour. Owner said he could have easily sold 80 copies if he had them.
    Talk about leaving money on the table. It would be crazy not to give this title a re-press. :crazy:

azjvm05 likes this.
  24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Apparently very, very quietly.

Need help on what I'm looking at.

25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

(yawn) wake me when it's on CD.
    :whistle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.