DAVID BOWIE:Critical analysis of Original RCA versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by NZBOWIE, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Maybe a cheapish copy of the UK LP is slightly more likely to turn up in Slovakia than an RCA CD and you could try one, although I'm sure I read several times that the US original Lodger and Scary Monstes LPs are both good, so maybe a UK is pointless for you.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

You're right but it may take you a long time looking every week in multiple stores and that's assuming you live in an area that has a lot of stores. I'm at the point in my life that I don't have a lot of time to be looking in used CD stores for certain CDs that may pop up once in a while. I do have enough money in my CD (and record) buying budget to basically overpay for certain items that aren't easy to find. I don't do that for most items but sometimes it's easier just to pay the extra money for an e-Bay item. Depends on how bad you want it, I guess.

3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

The original U.S. pressing of Lodger was also cut @ Sterling :thumbsup: Personally, I don't think the WG RCA cd can hold a candle to it.

4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I've said it before, but the only RCA CD I've heard/got which truly rivals my old UK or German LPs played through the same cables, amp & 'phones, is one of the two Made in Japan Aladdin Sane CDs.

5. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

BATB was also a single around the world... will have to check to see how many have the full intro. however, this weekend i received a Canadian "Heroes" LP and it omits the intro, as does the Japanese release. while i'm 100% convinced it's part of the track, some engineers seem to not think so. however, why they leave one or one and half cymbal taps and not cut in clean on a note is a mystery. sounds like laziness to me.

6. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Finally managed to track down a WG Station to Station, and wow, I am thrilled. It sounds fabulous - full, detailed, etc. I can finally get rid of the JPN for US copy that I've had for a while. It's amazing how much quieter the JPN for US is - it sounds so anemic. They really seemed to botch the mastering of that one (although despite its flaws, it's still preferable to the Ryko).

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Hard to find under $50 (eBay). Still looking.

8. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

great thread - this place is so informative ;-)

[MOD: Not allowed here.]

and yeah those WG sound amazing - i have some good vinyl rips (which usually sound better than any cd version) and i have to say i like both th same.

bowie was god in the 70s....

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yesterday I saw a Fame and Fashion Japan RCA for $16 at the local FYE. I was kind of impressed they knew enough to price it this high. But it had no artwork so I told the manager I thought he was a little high and said maybe if it was $10 I would buy it and he agreed to $10. Great sound but I am amused the local mall store has figured it out. He said that corporate had a team that does all the pricing.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, someone in "corporate" at FYE comes up with those prices. This means you sometimes see CDs priced way too high, but you can still get some bargains - they may think all DCCs/MFSLs are created equal...

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Can someone please post the EAC peak levels for the WG for EU and the JPN for EU/JPN for US masterings of this CD?

And karmaman - can I ask what differences you hear between these two masterings?

12. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

See? I told you so. :laugh:

13. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

CHANGESONEBOWIE WG

Space Oddity.wav 100.0 %
    John I'm Only Dancing.wav 100.0 %
    Changes.wav 73.3 %
    Ziggy Stardust.wav 81.9 %
    Suffragette City.wav 88.7 %
    Jean Genie.wav 71.1 %
    Diamond Dogs.wav 91.8 %
    Rebel Rebel.wav 85.9 %
    Young Americans.wav 87.3 %
    Fame.wav 96.4 %
    Golden Years.wav 78.6 %

14. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

WG: 100/100/73.3/81.9/88.7/71.1/91.8/85.9/87.3/96.4/78.6
    JPN: 54.5/58.0/65.5/55.3/57.5/47.6/51.5/49.6/57.4/64.4/52.6
    R32P: 59.9/60.3/69.2/59.7/62.4/53.3/55.0/52.7/60.7/83.6/56.5

they use different source tapes as indicated by the fade up on Diamond Dogs on the WG (as per the UK vinyl) vs the abrupt start on the JPN (as per Japanese and US vinyl). the only blemish on the WG is the start of The Jean Genie which is unfortunately trimmed by a fraction. the EAC levels show the JPN to have been mastered too low. the JPN for JPN R32P issue uses the same source but with the volume slightly raised.

i prepared a pdf with my own thoughts and findings on all the Bowie RCAs. grab it here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24721385/RCA CD comparisons.pdf

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks!

I had ripped my copy years ago, prior to it being stolen and was hoping it was a WG, but it's the JPN.

Speaking only about tonality, do you find the the JPN and WG similar?

Edit - Wow!! You did a beautiful job on that PDF. Many thanks!

16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i think they're similar on some tracks (i think Changes uses the same master) but not all and would give the nod to the WG as i would for several of the RCAs. they're generally warmer sounding than the JPN discs, but not across the board superior.
    you're welcome. it's something i'd been planning to do for a while so am happy to have finally done it. NB: there are some links to audio comparison clips within the pdf which can be found when you mouse over the relevant text. unfortunately there's nothing from ChangesOneBowie.

17. Metralla

Terrific work on the PDF document. Thanks so much. I have some WGs to get. ;)

18. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Thanks for the PDF, karmaman, it's very thorough.

19. Sander

Sander Senior Member

Great job Karmaman, the PDF is very helpful!

20. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

If we're talking about vinyl, those guys at FYE mark some albums at $20 based on the artist's name alone and without regard to condition or the actual title. As for cds, I once saw a NEW jazz boxed set for $45 and a used copy of the same title for $100 right next to it in the rack. "Eccentric" barely describes their pricing.

21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I have got to say that is a brilliant PDF. Just what I was looking for.

22. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

If I had to summarize based on the excellent PDF by karmaman and previous discussions and comparison, I would say that if you own an entire set of WG RCA discs (resp. JPN for Europe where no WG exists: Aladdin Sane, Pin Ups, ChangesTwoBowie), you don't need any other version.

Some songs are problematic on one disc, but they sound fine on another disc, e.g.:
    Space Oddity - Some noise in the left channel during the opening 14 seconds on WG Space Oddity, but sounds fine on WG ChangesOneBowie
    JeanGenie - Cut off intro on WG ChangesOneBowie, but sounds fine on JPN for Europe Aladdin Sane

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  23. Metralla

Unfortunately, when I collected all of the RCAs in about 2004 I did not know that the WG versions were any different - let alone better - and the JPN for US were relatively easy to find and inexpensive. So that's what I ended up with.

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

That pdf is killer. Too bad we don't any true Bowie fans here who might put a little time into anything! LOL.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  25. George P

George P Notable Member

You mean like sign the pdf in blood? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.