David Bowie doc - Five Years

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seaisletim, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/video/2008/oct/28/spongebob-squarepants-david-bowie

Aired 6 years ago, and done months/year earlier. His voice has been sped up and possibly other filters.

2. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

They pretty much glossed over Diamond Dogs as well. I mean yeah, they showed some footage from The Universal Amphitheater performance from 09-Sep-74 but they pretty much jumped straight into the making of Young Americans.

3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i repeat... it's called Five Years. these are the years it covers - '71, '75, '77, '80 and '83.

Curveboy likes this.
  4. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

Shame '83 was featured and not '74 (sorry, IMHO)

5. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Thanks for sharing, always like a good music doc.

6. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Great doc. Who knew Robert Fripp was funny?!

jsayers likes this.
  7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Uhmmm...not exactly. Screen caps are straight from the documentary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    jsayers likes this.
  8. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

fair point, but i wasn't suggesting Jan 1st to Dec 31st. point is the makers picked the key years (periods of one year) based on their own criteria, hence there will be omissions. Space Oddity, The Man Who Sold The World, Aladdin Sane, Pin Ups, Diamond Dogs, Stage and Lodger are all bypassed to allow for the historically/commercially important years. '71/'72 is the birth of Bowie the superstar via Hunky Dory and Ziggy, '74/'75 is the dramatic change of direction from glam rock to "plastic" soul and his first US #1 (Fame), '76/'77 is the return to Europe and the shift to a more electronic/synthetic sound, '80 for Scary Monsters (generally considered the barometer by which every subsequent album has been measured, not to mention its #1 single), and then to '83 and the bid for superstardom with Let's Dance. they may not be his most interesting years, but within their self-imposed parameters, the makers did a fine job and one that should appeal to casual and serious fans alike. regardless of personal tastes, Lodger and Diamond Dogs will never be considered "quintessential" Bowie to most.

jsayers likes this.
  9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I agree completely. There had to be some inherent overlap to allow for the eras you've described (like talking about the "death of Ziggy" in 1973 for example). Regardless it's a great documentary.

jsayers likes this.
  10. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

He has a complex love/hate relationship with "Rebel". As with Ziggy...

11. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

The audio you heard was culled from various archive interviews. Bowie refused to be interviewed for the doc, though as he's not been interviewed for over a decade now, that wasn't such a great surprise.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Last one I can find was from about August or September 2006.

13. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

This is scheduled to air on VH1 Classic tonight at 9pm PST. Check your local listings! :)

14. Group of One

Group of One Forum Resident

I just love the clips with Alomar, he's so funny. Like, properly comedian funny.

Fripp too, amusing guy.

It's a must-watch, currently available on iPlayer I think again for those in the UK.

skisdlimit likes this.
  15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thank you for posting this!!!:righton:

skisdlimit likes this.
  16. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Also repeats Sunday afternoon at 3:30 pacific time. I've been wanting to see this and it's not up on Youtube at all, just teaser ads for it. Makes me wonder if they are thinking about releasing this commercially.

17. It may skip some key time frames but it's so well done that it made this forty-something fella sit up and pay attention to the man for the first time, Let's Dance excluded. Bowie totally changed my entire view of all music. My embarrassment is only overshadowed by my happiness.

18. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

They showed the sixty minutes version this weekend on PBS. Very well done. Now I need to find the longer version...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.