David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

If you ordered Five Years from Amazon, check your Autorips!

2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Does anyone know when the vinyl and cds albums from this set will be available to buy individually?

3. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

About 6 months ago for the studio albums on vinyl.

JediJoker likes this.
  4. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I didn't But what have I missed?

5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Amazon added the entire box set to peoples' Autorip collections. Nice bonus.

6. Don't they always do that? That has been the case with every CD I have bought from Amazon.

Turntable likes this.
  7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

No, they don't. The vinyl box never had Autorip until yesterday. And there's plenty of vinyl I buy via Amazon that doesn't come with Autorip. The last CD I bought also didn't have it.

8. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

Nice. Thanks for the heads up. Good looking out!

9. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Inside Karmaman's house, yesterday: :)

[​IMG]

Ben Adams likes this.
  10. Not everything. It's based on negotiations with labels and artists. That's why you might see something you bought years ago all of a sudden turn up in your Prime music library. They finally made a deal.

11. Oh, the vinyl box. OK. I only have the CD box. I wasn't interested in digitally sourced vinyl for these discs.

Weird about your CDs. Every CD I can remember buying at Amazon has had auto-rip. In fact, when they first rolled out auto-rip, Amazon went back and added tracks to my account from all the CD's I had previously bought from Amazon, going back almost a decade.

12. I guess I have been lucky. :)

13. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Same here, however not all do have auto rip , and a number of times Amazon have stated a disc as auto rip which was not. This has happened to me 3/4 times when checking auto rip in the search filter.

Peace and love✌

Billy Budapest likes this.
  14. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I've just been listening to the remaster of Ziggy Stardust the motion picture on Spotify and I am hearing what sound like added-in-after backing vocals (sounds like that to me because I think I can hear Bowie's voice quite clearly in the mix). Has anyone else noticed this? I don't remember them from the first release of this album...

15. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The last CD I bought from Amazon (the soundtrack to Hellraiser 1 & 2) didn't have Autorip. But yeah, I remember when they introduced it, I got a bunch of stuff immediately added to my library. Recently, however, I went through my last five years of orders with a fine-tooth comb and found six products shown as having Autorip for which I had never received the files.

I'm funny, I guess. If something is advertised as having a feature when I buy it, I want that feature. Even if I wind up never using it! But I actually am using the Autorips....

I went ahead and bought a year's subscription to Amazon's music cloud service. 250,000 songs can be added for only $25 a year. And my Autorip stuff is already there. The uploads and matching are blazingly fast, too, with my internet connection. Once it's all uploaded ... no more iPod. I'll use my phone for listening to my entire digital collection on the go.

16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

That's been the case since 1983. My understanding was ALL versions of this release have added backing vox by DB and Visconti and a (IMO) cheesy organ to "My Death".

17. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Yes. Visconti is on record somewhere saying most of the post-production work they did on this release took place c. 1981/2, and consisted of David and Tony adding backing vocals throughout to help "smooth out" the sound.

jhm likes this.
  18. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Thanks, guys. So weird to hear DB singing backing vocals to his lead vocals on a live album...

19. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

I ordered the set from Amazon last September and just checked my Amazon digital library and it's not there. I also dont see the autorip option next to the listing. I have the cd set, was it only for vinyl?

20. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

It is weird. Given how good the simple, mono mix Robin Mayhew released of this show last year, you wish they'd just mix this concert in stereo and 5.1, sans all overdubs, and give it a proper release. It was a raw, messy show to end an epic, legendary tour, and that's what they should let us hear.

jhm likes this.
  21. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

yes

22. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It was also for CD.

Edit: Oops. I thought you meant the new set.

23. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

So it looks like the new 74-76 set is now offering the autorip MP3 for both sets but the Five Years set is only offering for the vinyl purchases. That must be why my purchase of the Five Years CD set does not have the MP3 in my amazon digital library. Appreciate the responses, thank you!

24. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

Recieved my box set this afternoon after taking the plunge on a discogs purchase, still sealed and it looks like it came in the original packing box, well pleased as I thought I had missed out on getting one at a good price

25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

You might try contacting them anyway via chat.

ShockOfDaylight likes this.