David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Funny. That's actually not even the comment(s) that prompted my earlier post.

I don't doubt you're passionate about Bowie's work, but all the same, the knee-jerk negativity to the opinions of others is just as tedious as idle gushing.

And even more tedious is someone carrying on about all that, so I'll give it a rest.

2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

noted. i appreciate humouring myself might not always translate well via the written word. i find it easier to "like" a post than add more praise or repeat a point, so i'm more likely to respond if i disagree. admittedly it's not always clear how much is healthy banter, how much is deliberately overstated and how much is unadulterated disgust! i don't doubt i'm on several ignore lists by now, but those that "get" what i'm about tend to let my cynicism slide without taking offence.

InStepWithTheStars and swedgin like this.
  3. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

All of which makes sense, for the most part, so thanks for explaining that. For what it's worth, you've posted too much useful information for me to consider blocking you.

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  4. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

"Best since Scary Monsters," hmm.

The more I reflect on Let's Dance, the more I like it. As ever, it's not only the album itself, but how Bowie was able to play the part he created so well. It's mainstream pop/rock/funk with just a little dash of danger ("putting out fire with Gasoline") to remind us that it's Bowie.

So it might be "better" than SM even if purely as an album of music it is not so good.

Clearly neither Tonight nor NLMD went so much according to plan. Tin Machine is interesting though, and Black Tie White Noise, 1. Outside and Earthling are all excellent. Of these I like 1. Outside best and never think of it as "best since SM"; it is on a different planet.

I am also a big fan of The Buddha of Suburbia (1993) which is a kind of great lost album and of course shares a song with 1. Outside (Strangers when we meet).

I don't relate so well to Hours and Heathen, but I do love Reality aside from its tragic brickwalling. If this can ever be remixed or remastered to professional standards I think there is a great album there.

Both The Next Day and Blackstar are even better, with Blackstar possibly my absolute favourite at the moment (yes, beyond Ziggy etc).

Tim

5. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I just saw your avatar and it's a shame you can't "like" an avatar on the forum as it is great, given the discussion here!!!

IMO Bowie was just about perfect all the way from Hunky Dory to Scary Monsters (inclusive). Everything else is patchy with a few great albums thrown in.

6. Can't for the life of me undertsand people who continually moan about 'negative' comments. You get it all over music forums. Forums that are supposed to be about a discussion. For one thing, don't read them; there is a whole world out there.

But more seriously, I am far more interested in reading why committed fans like Karmaman find a favourite artist's album or a period disappointing. It's not as if they wanted to is it? That makes it a far more interesting read than gushing commentary about great something is. And as a wise man once said, you don't learn anything new from people you agree with...

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I sort of agree with this, but I think Scary Monsters is a lot better than Lodger. In part that's because it manages to blend being decidedly more commercial with a pretty major experimental streak, and some really cutting lyrics. Lodger is even more experimental, but unfortunately I don't think most of the experiments are particularly successful, and melodically it's kind of dire really. It feels a bit like faffing around in the studio, unlike Low and Heroes, but like a lot of Bowie's output from the '90s thru Reality.

That having been said, I might respect Scary Monsters more than I actually enjoy it. If Let's Dance had one more hit on it, I'd likely rank it as the superior album, and it would certainly be the more enjoyable listen.

Fortunately, I think The Next Day and Blackstar finally saw the return of that Bowie, the guy who produced smart but compelling listens like Station To Station, The Man Who Sold The World (well, they're better than that, although Blackstar in particular recalls it tonally in spots), and Low.

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

A German magazine even called "Tin Machine II" his "best since Scary Monsters" (utterly wrong)

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

If you do remember the 80's at all.

10. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

as with the first album it would have made a strong EP.

pobbard likes this.
  11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Spanish exhibition vinyl looks like a bit of a political statement. Even artwork has our man in front of a Mexican wall and the disc uncaged colours unfurl a flag.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  12. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I love that photo shoot, great looking piece regardless of any political sub text.

Shot at the Frida Kahlo Museum in 1997.

13. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

It's definitely better as a commercial album - which was what Bowie wanted. Even though Ashes and Fashion were huge hits in some countries SM was too Art-Rock/alternative to appeal to the general public worldwide - also it was given a big boost by MTV which hadn't helped the sales of Lodger and SM. The fact that Bowie hadn't toured for 5 Years and was taking the Serious Moon Lite Tour around the world - people really wanted to see him (myself included) - also boosted sales. The era of Smash Hits was upon us - Bowie's children were trendy and in the charts.
    All in all he was in the money - it was designed that way. Do you remember when he appeared at the New York Hotel to announce his EMI contract/LP/Tour? It was like a multi-million pound football player signing in front of the press. Totally against what Bowie had been since 1976. The Phil Collins Years had arrived big time.

Anyway - my point is that Let's Dance appears on the surface to be the peak of his career and a great album, but for me who appreciates more his arty/alternative/pretentious (Pretentious? It's a compliment - Eno) work it's an empty, calculating, boring effort which although it makes claims to "Dance" it has very little soul - doesn't rock out very much and has no real feel to it. If you're not going to be arty you've got to Rock or be funky - but it's not like Little Richard getting out of his automobile in the photograph at all - far from it - and I love Little Richard, Presley Chuck (RIP) and Jerry Lee, because they "make my big toe shoot up in my boot!" as Richard said of Hendrix. But Let's Dance doesn't do it.

Why I’m pretentious — and proud of it
    Pretentiousness: Why It Matters: Amazon.co.uk: Dan Fox: 9781566894289: Books
    Pretentious? It's a compliment

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    jfeldt and bobdylansbarber like this.
  14. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

The cheeky git has changed his avatar. That's motivation for me blocking him.

karmaman and TonyCzar like this.
  15. NightGoatToCairo

Shame I can't just "like" the bit I've underlined ;)

16. NightGoatToCairo

hand hovering over 'unfollow' ...

17. NightGoatToCairo

Didn't Bowie say he wasn't going to pay for those pictures as it wouldn't make him any money?! :laugh:

18. Phillip Walch

:evil: I forgot about that, yeah he said something about it not making him any richer and that he had no money for the shoot given that it was a 'personal object'.
    Stunning images, he looked so awesome in that period.

Edit: David Bowie soaks up Mexican culture in set of previously unpublished photos In 1997, This Photographer Captured David Bowie's Historic Visit to Mexico City

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  19. NightGoatToCairo

Yes x 3. "genius" ;)

I was at The Phoenix Festival in 97 and he did look [and sound] great.

Phillip Walch likes this.
  20. Phillip Walch

Beautiful guy. Said in my most brash husky male voice possible.

21. footprintsinthesand

Wasn't that at Claridges ?
    [​IMG]

oldturkey likes this.
  22. footprintsinthesand

And another one, great artwork and Art Decade Perth 78 on flipside.

[​IMG]

23. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Oh yeah!

24. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

He knew how to have his picture taken. Do you buy these discs?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  25. footprintsinthesand

None so far, put the artwork and Perth track are tempting on this one. Or a promise of things to come (much later).

jhm likes this.