David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I don't think anyone has claimed they were directly bad.

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think content-wise they are great. I think Dr. Toby Mountain just killed them with bad EQ decisions.
    They sound pretty thin to me.

wayneklein, MHP and Dino like this.
  3. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Anybody try something like this on a RYKO?

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...cter-to-the-ryko-bowie-cds.31021/#post-562844

Forum lesson in EQ NUMBER ONE:

You do not add EQ, you subtract the bad EQ already there, first!

Try removing 2 db at 8K, 1 at 6k. Add a db at 80 cycles and one at 250 and see if this does it for you.. :) I haven't heard these CD's in a very long time.

Some of that Bowie "sound" is that Trident console doing it's usual solid state thing....The rest is a mastering choice. :shake:

Anyone know of a inexpensive parametric computer software equalizer that sounds okay?

floweringtoilet likes this.
  4. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I've never tried those specific eq suggestions... I just adjust the bass and treble knobs and they sound pretty good to me. The Rykos were the first CDs I got for Bowie and I'll never get rid of them. I have a few RCAs for my favs and they do sound better and no need for any knob twists.

Mazzy, ralphb and Dino like this.
  5. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I roughly followed those instructions using Audacity - it did improve the overall EQ on the two Rykos I have (well in my case UK EMIs from 1990) - Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane.

Dino likes this.
  6. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I've tried boosting bass and cutting treble with tone controls. I made them sound better to me, but not really good enough to satisfy me. (Tone controls vary so much between devices that one would have at least somewhat different results than I have.)

I'm very happy with the RCA CDs (mostly the "for Europe" ones) that I have. Some, for example Low and Heroes, could sound better to me - enjoyable to listen to but kind of dark compared to my LPs.

I keep thinking that one day I'll try Steve Hoffman's EQ recommendations but never seem to get around to it. :sigh:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I want 1/4 speed AAA mastering, 1 inch thick covers and heavy duty anti-static sleeves please. Plus a full size blow-up Bowie for the wife. :shtiphat:

Any announcements yet?

8. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

While I don't doubt that some of the RCA CDs do indeed come from EQ'd dub tapes (the slightly compressed WG Hunky Dory for example), quite a few of them show signs of being from the actual masters (Man Who Sold The World for example). For those ones there's none of the added tape hiss, stereo image smearing or other distortions associated with EQ'd production masters and such. The later Ryko/EMI/Virgin CDs for those titles don't show any signs of being sourced from better tapes.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  9. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

I'd have to respectfully disagree, but each to his/her own. I find the 1990/91 UK EMIs (some Rykos are different masterings) the best of the lot overall, BUT with EQ applied. Listened to 'flat', I can see why people would prefer the RCAs. I have complete sets of both, and prefer the UK EMIs. Neither are ideal though - I'm crossing my fingers for this new set, but have a feeling they'll be compressed like the 'recent' Ziggy & Aladdin Sane releases).

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I can't find that listed on their site?

11. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Looks like they jacked it up to $237.97

12. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Dammit. $199 was an ideal price point, since I'm kind of indifferent about the live stuff they're using to jack up the price.

bob60 likes this.
  13. botley

botley Forum Resident

Currently CDN $190.86 on Amazon.ca for the CD box! :agree:

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Part 6 of the blog is up now.

15. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

This is a great read. What a dream job!

16. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Not at all...undoubtedly much closer to the masters in generation than the RCAs. The primary criticism around here of the Rykos is that they are trebly, but I can't really imagine the late 70s masters having less treble.

Halloween_Jack, Curveboy and ralphb like this.
  17. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

At least up to the end of the 80s, absolutely, yes.

18. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Amazon.fr has it up for 130 euro, which works out almost equal to the US dollar at present and includes shipping.

Robert C and GentleSenator like this.
  19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

CD or LP?

20. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Sorry, cd.

21. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

I created a price tracker thread in the Coupon and Deals forum for the vinyl box. Currently $191 shipped to the US from amazon.it.

22. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Thank you I just ordered it

23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Is there a link for that deal? I can only find a price of $201 eu.

24. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

After VAT is removed, that worked out to $191 shipped for me.

25. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Is this for the vinyl? Amazon US will have to price match.