David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. I think Amazon hasn't price matched for a few years now. I recall back during Beatles box days they wouldn't

Dino likes this.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yea...don't all Amazons have to have the same price?

3. They rarely do.

4. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I don't believe the "Cassette Masters" story. I think the Ryko producer was just bashing the old product. What I do believe is that the original RCA America team just used whatever safety copies they had on hand and the RCA Europe team used the masters they had on hand. Nobody wants to spend money on expensive shipping and risk losing tapes.

5. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

No, prices differ from country to country - and Mazzy's right, Amazon hasn't done much in the way of price matching for a long time.

Mazzy likes this.
  6. yeah remember when Amazon was always the go to best price? They got us sucked in and now they are rarely a discounter when it comes to music. But they are the only one I know that usually ships right away and you know exactly when you will get a package. That's worth something too.

7. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

Whatever the truth is, proximity to source has never meant anything to me, personally. For example, Barry Diament's Bad Company or A Trick of the Tail is going to sound good, whether they be from 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation tapes.. To me it's like people arguing over playback format superiority; it's too much hair splitting.

8. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

And the returns are so easy. It's too bad I get so many warped records from them for some reason though. The AC must be broken in the warehouse nearest to me or something.

Glad I pulled the trigger on the bullmoose $199 pre order.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Mazzy likes this.
  9. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

The price will drop on amazon. I'm pretty sure if you called them and told them you could get it for much lower at amazon.it they'd give you a $10 or $20 coupon.

10. They used to have a box under every product stating: Seen it cheaper elsewhere? Tell us the price and link. I don't see those anymore.

11. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I don't believe what I have read about Europe and USA using the same tapes either.

Just compare masterings of Station to Station and Hunky Dory for starters.

MadamAdam likes this.
  12. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

you can call Amazon? I thought preventing that was part of the online business model.

AlienRendel likes this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Do we know where these are being pressed yet? Or who did the mastering?
    I like how on the Queen announcement they told you it was Robert Ludwig and Optimal pressings.

MadamAdam likes this.
  14. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

It's there, and I just used it.

And yes, you can call them.

Dino likes this.
  15. cool it used to be really prominent ill look again

16. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

For the lower price link, it just 'reports' the lower price and states that they can't price match everyone. Did calling them actually reduce your order price?

17. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I'm surprised that I have not noticed this since (like Mazzy said) it used to be prominent.

I had to go through the order process, just prior to placing the order on Amazon Italy to get shipping and price minus VAT (and use a currency converter).

They didn't offer a price match, rather:

"Found a lower price? Let us know. Although we can't match every price reported, we'll use your feedback to ensure that our prices remain competitive."

I didn't try calling. I don't know if I'm buying one.

18. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Good thing it's not eleven years or we'd all have to take our shoes off to verify it.

Robert C, thekid87 and jon9091 like this.
  19. AlienRendel

I've never thought they were bad and they are still the only CD versions I have of those albums. Glad I kept all my vinyl, though, as that is what I prefer for Bowie.

ralphb likes this.
  20. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to the day wax cartridges make a comeback

21. AlienRendel

Oh.

22. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Amazon lowered the price for me to $190 after I contacted them about the amazon.it price. Just FYI.

23. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I just pre-ordered the CD box from Amazon (USA) for $119 - not sure it'll get much lower than that and if so of course I'll get that price, and there's always the cancel option too.

24. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Glad to know that they will do this on request. I would have to pay sales tax on top of $190, so I guess I will stick with .it for now.

25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

200 euros or £140 on amazon Italy for the vinyl box set.