David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

180 euros for me, including shipping, now this is becoming tempting.

2. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I'm not interested in paying such a high price for discs I don't want, such as the remixes, and discs I already have. I really hope the albums are released individually domestically. The next box I'll probably buy though.

3. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

Did you accomplish this through a phone call, Denti?

4. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Nope, just an email.

Dino likes this.
  5. Wipeout

Wipeout Forum Resident

And let's do gripe and scrap wildly about whether the blowup Bowie should have a Presta or Schrader valve, and speculate endlessly about the recommended PSI.

Beaneydave, richbdd01 and mdm08033 like this.
  6. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I am back from my holidays and browsing Amazon UK for the first time in a couple of weeks. I see that all separate albums in their 2015 (or 2013 or 2012) remastered version will be released at the same time as the CD boxset. Each album has a price of £8, which is fairly cheap compared to £98 for the full boxset. I wonder if the book and the "Re:call" extras can really justify the difference in price, also considering that many fans might already have some of the recent remasters and the Santa Monica live.
    I have decided to cancel my pre-order for the CD boxset and possibly buy it later if the price drops substantially.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  7. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

If anyone sees these individual CDs at Amazon US, can you provide a link?

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Why is the Ziggy so much more than the other five, I wonder?

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Hmmm.. Let me guess... ;)

And also note that Pinups is the lowest in price.

11. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Absolutely nothing.

Just typical Amazon early listing "error".

Notice the complete lack of a product summary or picture for all of the listings.

They only want it up on site in order not to miss out on a possible early commitment/sale.

This is why these links don't show up easily in a typical search (not yet ready for "primetime")...

12. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

In case anyone is wondering, these records will be pressed at Optimal in Germany. Optimal is pressing all copies for all regions worldwide. This is really good news for those who pay attention to these things. Pressings from GZVinyl and United are hit and miss, and apart from RTI, Optimal is one of the finest when it comes to quality. I believe the Queen discs will also be pressed at Optimal for their very expensive box set... (If you're wondering how I know, I emailed Rhino - - who is in charge of this re-issue now that Warners owns all of Parlophone). They forwarded my email to someone who replied that it was Optimal for all copies worldwide.

Wipeout, crispi, PteroDon and 9 others like this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

2 discs. Contains remix and standard album.

Dino likes this.
  14. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Are you sure?
    As far as I know, the Ziggy Remix is exclusive to the box.

15. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I thought/think the Remix and 2012 Remaster are both still readily available at shops and online.

Unless...is it a Remaster OF the 2003 Remix?? No way.

16. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

What's so special about the 2003 Ziggy remix?

17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Was there a mastering credit for two CDs which were previously remastered? Same engineers for the 2015 newly remastered?

18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Do we know anything about the vinyl mastering yet?

19. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

What I heard was it was pressed from analogue at Optimal in Germany for all versions worldwide. I emailed Dr.Rhino and that was the response I got.

20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Seems too good to be true....maybe they mean a full analogue transfer from the digital remasters? :D

rob303 likes this.
  21. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

Amazon (America) has this listed at $119.99 (the CD version). Is that roughly the lowest price that this has been listed at? I would like to pick it up but that seems extremely steep for the very small number of songs that I don't already have.

22. nathan_h

nathan_h could be weirder

So far, but which songs do you need? Perhaps Pono will be a useful way to buy a lossless copy of just those songs.

23. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I think just the original version of "Holy Holy" and the mono single mixes. And the remix of Ziggy Stardust.

24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I heard they were personally stamped by Bowie while singing Ziggy Stardust. Plus they take a Polaroid of him holding each box set and include that in the case.

Plan9 likes this.
  25. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Which do you think will sound better: the mastering on the 2015 Space Oddity, or the previous mastering on the 2 disc Deluxe Space Oddity?