David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Ha ha. That was a great one! :biglaugh:

For Box 4: Grope For The Wall Like A Blind.

2. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i think it'll be the 2-disc revamp.

• • David Bowie AKA Space Oddity (1 disc)
    • • The Man Who Sold The World (1 disc)
    • • Hunky Dory (1 disc)
    • • The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (1 disc)
    • • Aladdin Sane (1 disc)
    • • Pin Ups (1 disc)
    • • Live Santa Monica ‘72 (1 disc)
    • • Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture Soundtrack (2 disc)
    • • The Rise and Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (2003 Ken Scott mix) (1 disc)
    • • Re:Call 1 (2CD set)
    = 12 discs

3. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Pre-ordered... Now I need to decide whether to sell my red vinyl deluxe Ziggy Motion Picture and my deluxe Santa Monica LPs (and any of my other existing Bowie vinyl albums...)

4. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Personally I'd rather they'd gone a different route and delivered individual sets of each of the Classic albums with say 2-disc set (CD + DVD/BD) for each with Hi-Res Stereo and 5.1, including flat transfers from the original analogue masters and as many relevant singles/b-sides/outtakes for each album as they could cram on, say, a DVD-A or Blu-ray.

Failing that a different approach with the box sets with several smaller sets of say 4-5 discs..
    1:Space Oddity/TMWSTW/Hunky Dory plus outtakes/b-sides etc.. 2:Aladdin/Ziggy/PinUps plus extras and Ziggy 40th anniversary stereo Ray Staff remaster + 5.1 on DVD,
    3: Diamond Dogs/Young Americans/STS + extras plus Young Americans & Station in Hi-Res Stereo & 5.1 on DVD,
    4:Low/Heroes/Lodger + extras.. plus unreleased Low in 5.1 on DVD,
    5:Scary Monsters/Let's Dance/Tonight + extras..
    6:Bigger box (say 10 discs in all? 8 CD/2 DVD?) collating various live albums: Santa M. 72, David Live, Nassau, Stage.. including the 5.1 of David Live and Stage from the two long OOP (and now pricey) EMI DVD-A's.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Will be nice if the sound is good but it's disappointing from this fan's perspective. Lack of rarities or unreleased live material from the period. Looks like the vaults remain closed.

Tim

fredblue likes this.
  6. thekid87

thekid87 Forum Resident

Interesting!!!

New remaster for Hunky Dory :)

7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Very excited for this...if only for the Ziggy remix.

8. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

you can stick the 5.1 where the sun don't shine ! Stereo is where its at get with the program sunbeam! look the price right now for me is Giant rip off ! they would have to go down to at least $140 US before I even contemplate getting this set !

9. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I'm afraid to know the price on the vinyl, but I am totally down for this set. Isn't this what everyone was waiting for from Bowie? It's about time!

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes but your preferred box makes everyone else have to buy discs that they might not want or need, especially Ziggy and Aladdin Sane. And one persons "crap live album", is another's historical document of a legendary live performer caught at his prime.

Plus, I have not heard about that late box with Tin Machine and Never Let Me Down, did you?

Btw, how'd your day go yesterday, you ok?

11. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I find that the approach of the Genesis boxsets was the best. Unfortunately the audio quality was disappointing but the boxes with 4 or 5 albums with 5.1 mixes and one album of extra tracks was perfect, including the separate live boxset.

pablo fanques and fredblue like this.
  12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I have the original Philips 45 of Space Oddity, and it sounds like a dedicated mono mix - slightly different fader moves in parts, vocal levels stay even (where they were panned on the stereo).

13. fredblue

I beg your pardon..

14. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

you like 5.1 that's cool but the mainstream people don't give a rats **** about it and to me its overrated just the those "fantastic"Quad albums from the 70's !

15. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I agree, 5.1 doesn't interest me at all!

16. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

17. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey Forum Resident

This is showing as a pre-order on Amazon UK, with the vinyl box weighing in at 26 discs at £199. I'm hoping the packaging and sleeves are premium quality to justify the cost and duplication with my own RCA collection.

Tim Bucknall and fredblue like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yes, but I'm considering which former copy to sell off while I still can.

19. Daniel Plainview

Wouldn't another 12 disc set take us up to Scary Monsters? Unless I'm miscounting on my fingers and toes.

(1. Diamond Dogs 2. David Live 3. David Live 4. Young Americans 5. Station 6. Nassau 7. Nassau 8. Low. 9 Heroes. 10. Lodger 11. Stage 12. Stage)

Amazing how the same bonus tracks keep getting shifted around and handed back to us over and over again. I'm in this for the mastering, but still. Nothing else of interest in the vaults, Dave?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

OK, it doesn't interest you but a lot of people would be happy to have them.
    5.1 reissues of classic albums sell very well right now.
    When they are well-done they are an amazing experience, getting you further into the music than never before.

Does knowing that 5.1 mixes exist somehow prevent you from enjoying the stereo mixes? :wtf:

21. fredblue

Fair enough.. that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.. you might have expressed it differently.. there's no need to be rude and tell someone (someone you don't know or know anything about) to shove it where the sun don't shine just because you don't like their suggestions.

Would you say all that to someone in real life? I don't think so. A bit of common decency to offer a simple apology for being rude and uncalled for is too much to ask I guess, so I'll move on.

We don't agree on the surround thing but I do agree on the price of the box which right now seems a bit steep for what it is.

I did also suggest Hi-Res flat transfers of the analogue Stereo masters would be welcome (not so controversial as 5.1 but not something anyone felt compelled to remark upon particularly) and Hi-Res could be a possibility with download offerings of this set down the line.

Ah well, it's encouraging to see Warners are doing something with Bowie's catalogue at the very least.. fingers crossed for great mastering/EQ etc.

22. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Sound quality will have a big effect on me buying this . I'm a Bowie nut and spent some money on getting a high quality sounding collection.

Also is it just me , but I 'm surprised they didn't go with the Super Deluxe box on some and possibly all of these titles . The lack of outakes thinks this might me a option down the road.

Lost In The Flood and fredblue like this.
  23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

+1.

Incredible.

fredblue likes this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Maybe I should sell my RCAs to finance this! :hide:

25. fredblue

Agree totally with all your points, I'm surprised they have gone this route.. they surely know the demand is there and could have milked every album for the Deluxe/Super Deluxe treatment rather than lump several Classic albums in a box.. I'm convinced this particular set and any others just like it thereafter will not be seen as definitive and there will be other options in the offing, definitely.

Tim Bucknall and Chris Bernhardt like this.