David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015, 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turntable, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Here's what Bowie thinks about this vinyl set:

BTW, can't wait to get my copy!

2. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

That was what? 15 years ago? I was all glassy eyes and gaga about downloading too :D

crispi likes this.
  3. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I don't know how many here remember RYKO's sense of humor back then.

For example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a RYKO press kit for the initial release of their Ziggy Stardust CD. It included a standard RYKO CD and a LP that was cut from a tape with a lot of record noise added. It was a joke. And it was meant to remind people of the wonderful new world of the CD format as compared to the popping and crackling LP format. I guess it was hilarious.

Remember back to this time. Outside of The Absolute Sound magazine, most of the press, the manufactures and the general public were crazy about the CD format and were quite glad to get away from the LP format. Many of the early CDs stated that any problems that you heard on the CD was due to problems with the master tape, heard for the first time on the CD format who's resolution exceeded the limitations of the master tape. This was no joke, at the time. (Neither was "Perfect Sound Forever".)

RYKO started as a CD only label. This press kit came out prior to RYKO releasing their own LPs, IIRC.

I do not know why RYKO started releasing LPs, other than seeing a market for them. They were marketed as "CD quality" LPs. That was perceived to be high praise back then.

I remember reading an interview (in TAS I think, but I cannot remember for sure) with someone from RYKO after they started making LPs. The subject of the AAA SPARS code came up. The fellow from RYKO said that was a bit of humor based on DDD being desirable to a number of CD buyers and they thought putting AAA on their LPs would be a good joke. They were, of course, ADA LPs cut from the 16-44.1 masters used to make their CDs, hence "CD quality" LPs - according to the guy from RYKO.

I think that very few would have thought anything amiss about this, back then.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    aroney, bmoregnr, scotth and 6 others like this.
  4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I love the way the Ryko vinyl looks. Handsome packages. Sure, not my go to for sonics, but I'm glad to have them and spent a fortune tracking them all down one by one.

And I'll never part with my Tech Unit:

[​IMG]

5. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I plan to hang on to my RYKO The Man Who Sold the World LP for the very same reason.

(Well, that and because I compulsively collect versions of The Man Who Sold the World LPs. :))

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

No problem! I thought I'd gone mental. So, yeah, the new vinyl version of Pin Ups being raved about by some folks in this thread matches the original US vinyl. Whew!

7. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

from page one (post#14) of this thread:
    2015 Ziggy vinyl deadwax all hand etched:
    side1: (0) 2077348719 BC71696 - 01 A1 DBZSLP40 then there is either a capital T+1 or an upside down v+T( The way this person does their numeral ones looks like an italic 2 line triangle -7 look the same only with a line thru it).

side2: (0) 2077348719 BC71696 - 01 B3 DBZSLP40 then there is a T with a backwards G or an upside down lower case e with an upside down cap. T -so e _l_ or T backwards G.

deadwax info ripe for Klingon interpretation...

the 40th looks to be etched by the same person -the B3 on side 2 of both look identical and yet that disc has no T+1 or T w/ backwards G or any other markings other than what is above up to and including the A1 / B3.

and this from page 2:
    [​IMG]
    that mark is the only thing different.

c-eling and crispi like this.
  8. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

For what I have listened to my vinyl-set so far, these sound great and Im happy with them.

e.s., sonofjim and Mazzy like this.
  9. LSP

LSP Well-Known Member

33.3 cm

10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It has been confirmed by Ray Staff, someone posted that he responded to an email that it's the same.

11. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

while it feels weird to be defending Ryko, it would appear their LPs were cut from something superior to 16/44 masters. as mentioned in Jeff Rougvie's blog they were given some of the bonus tracks on DAT and those reveal a hard cut off when looking at the spectral view in Audition. others show information up to 30kHz.

Dino likes this.
  12. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

So we're back to the conclusion that the Ziggy disc is all analog despite the copyright claim on sleeve and label?

13. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

there are errors elsewhere in the packaging and book. i expect the art dept cut and pasted a lot of the small print, blissfully unaware of impending audiophile concerns.

crispi and DeRosa like this.
  14. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what do you mean "back to"? based on the evidence presented multiple times, it's pretty conclusive that it is. i think the deadwax info and the confirmation from the horse's mouth trumps any sort of details on the sleeve.

e.s., violetvinyl and DeRosa like this.
  15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's usual to cut and paste the notes for the CD edition to LP sleeves. Often LP sleeve info is wrong which is why this forum is an invaluable source. Record companies don't bother with this degree of accuracy because most buyers aren't audiophiles. Few labels wan't to tell us the mastering process whether good or bad. Pretty obvious from the dead wax this is a new stamper from the Ray Staff analogue cut.

crispi and c-eling like this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Looks like a Ted Jensen

17. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

Yeah, I pretty much screwed the pooch on my assessment that the new Ziggy could be digitally sourced, how embarrassing. I really should stop over comparing these releases, I'm starting to hear things. I still maintain that these are great sounding, I've listened to these over and over again and am still highly satisfied. Oddly, I think Pin Ups is my favorite of the bunch so far, I think this cut absolutely rocks. My apologies to this thread for not relying more heavily on the deadwax and allowing the subtle differences in sound between the 2015 and my 2012 Ziggy to steer my opinion more towards what the Labels state.

scobb, DeRosa, crispi and 3 others like this.
  18. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

For those enquiring about individual releases from the box, this wont necessarily be guaranteed. For example, the recent Roxy music boxset has yet to see individual titles released...

19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Don't be too hard on yourself. Actually, I think it's good news that we have reached the point technologically where it is often difficult to impossible to distinguish digital from analog in music reproduction simply by listening. Isn't that what audiophiles have been hoping for ever since the advent of the compact disc and the potential of digital technology in musical application?

20. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Truly wonderful releases, I had some real joyment today as I listened to more of these.
    Will look forward to next releases in the campaign.

21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I've been through all the studio albums and no problems w any. However conversation piece on side 1 recall is really bad. Huge brief static distortions about 8 times throughout the song. I think possibly from right channel. Too bad as this is a great alt version. Anyone else have this on this song?

22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Thats the problem with a big vinyl boxset...you need a good level of quality control. The first thing i do is check every vinyl is flat...

23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Just checked mine and it was all fine.

Nowadays its just essential to first check if any vinyl have warps.
    Mostly all modern vinyl (that I have bought) have been flat but sometimes there's little warps (that luckily won't affect playing or sound at all).

e.s. and richbdd01 like this.
  24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I am listening to Hunky Dory, which sounds great. I pulled out my Ryko to compare, and I realized that it's still sealed.

I noticed that the obi on the Ryko does not have a serial number or the "Limited Edition" logo. Is this a later pressing? Can anyone enlighten me here?

25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Unseal it then, compare it and give us an in-depth review...:shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.