David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015, 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turntable, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaulCF

RaulCF Forum Resident

2. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    oldturkey and RaulCF like this.
  3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

These boxes will gradually rise in price though, like any other OOP item will, especially as it's Bowie...

4. RaulCF

RaulCF Forum Resident

True, I didnt pay attention to that (

Thanks,

5. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I'm not very observant! Sorry for that.

6. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Does anyone know how many were made?

7. RaulCF

RaulCF Forum Resident

yeah, good question) I guess I should keep looking for a copy of the box set, it would be nice a reissue)

8. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

To be honest I can't recall this ever being limited at all, other than by demand that is (except for extra Radio disc from the pre-orders that they reprinted and sold separately anyway).

9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Yes, and it's a misleading description. 'Complete'

10. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

But it is not on sale anymore official outlets. Can't see them repressing it though.

11. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

2016 has seen a massive spike in interest in Mr Bowie's music and sales would have been far higher than expected so I'm not surprised they've sold out. I don't know if they will repress it but I'm sure they will if they can make a buck, however, right now they are focusing on releasing the utterly pointless "Legacy" as that will make more money!

Same can be said for the pointless re-release of Changesonebowie. I have quite a large Bowie collection but I have no intention of adding either of these compilations.

oldturkey likes this.
  12. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I believe they did two pressings in the U.S. and one for International markets.
    Can't imagine they did more than 10,000 total in the U.S. though, given the price point.

Looks like that one listed at $1000 on Discogs sold!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  13. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Which is ironic as the 2016 pressings (apart from Ziggy) are generally inferior to originals - for $1000 or less you could get originals of most of what's in the box!

oldturkey likes this.
  14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I doubt it was sold...probably just taken down for some reason. Why would someone pay that when there are several at £250-£300?

scobb likes this.
  15. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

On Discogs they list two vinyl versions, but one is just the pre-order version - by which I think they just mean they shrink-wrapped the Pin-Ups radio record to it. I don't think they're any different are they?

16. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

It's a cool box at maybe $500 but not $1000 cool. Especially considering that some of the discs may need to be swapped out to get clean, "swoosh" free copies. Full on gambling at that price point. As said above just take that cash and search out early pressings (though some are now themselves outrageously priced).

17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

If anyone has held out for deals on individual titles, Popmarket in the U.S.'s daily deal today has some of these for $12:

Cyber Week Special - $12 Bowie Vinyl! »

Titles I see included are Space Oddity, Hunky Dory, Pinups and The Man Who Sold The World.

scobb, zephyr25 and Tropehjelm like this.
  18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Grabbed the last 2 I needed!. $19 shipped! That's pretty much buy one, get one free!

jhm likes this.
  19. zephyr25

zephyr25 Forum Resident

Snagged 3 for $28 shipped!!

lightbulb, jhm and Vinyl Addict like this.
  20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Well it looks like you guys were smart to jump on it. I went back to the link a moment ago and got the dreaded "this page cannot be found" error.

21. RaulCF

RaulCF Forum Resident

I could get today a brand new box set at HMV in Canada. 225 CADS (around 175 euros with taxes); so happy news for me (was the last one they had in the store)

lightbulb likes this.
  22. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

What's the best price for this box now?
    Or is it OOP ?

23. RaulCF

RaulCF Forum Resident

I was looking for the box set online and couldn't find any available, I was lucky that day at HMV. In eBay there are some of them (but be careful, sometimes they aren't complete)

lightbulb likes this.
  24. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

It's out of print - and look! Here are the folk taking advantage on Amazon UK - you can get it for a tidy £700 - £900 if you want...

Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Five Years (1969 - 1973) [VINYL] »

The British phrase "taking the p*ss" springs to mind...

lightbulb likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Seriously: Whoever pays that price probably doesn't deserve better :evil::evil:

RaulCF likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.