David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015, 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turntable, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member Thread Starter

The vinyl does not sound thin, at least SO and TMWSTE. My original uk pressing of Aladdin Sane is also lean and mean. The sound of mastering engineers of the day? They sound excellent regardless.

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

While you're here, what's the differences between the Millenium Aladdin and the original vinyl? I got the former and it was 'okay'...

3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

which pressing?

4. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Sorry 2015 remaster not from boxset

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  5. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I like the new remasters but I do have to say TMWSTW Ryko has the best control of the bass and is my preferred version

mooseman and Turntable like this.
  6. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

can't say that i hear it... but i'm getting on a bit ;)

7. Turntable

Just played Time and Prettiest Star to check my memory is not off.

Neither the Mille or original UK pressing have much bass to start with. The Mille is a little lighter in delivery with perhaps better left to right soundstage. The original UK more attack and aggression in the vocals and guitars but with better centre fill. I could understand where some may find the original UK pressing bright whereas I find it alive and exciting - much like the all the up tempo songs.

Very different sound to the EMI100 Hunky Dory which is quite full sounding in the bass with superb high frequency extension.

going to finish playing the original UK pressing while typing this.

cheers

richbdd01 likes this.
  8. Turntable

thanks. good to hear someone who owns the Ryko has the same thoughts.

cheers

9. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Probably a few seconds later than 1.26 just as the vocal comes back in. Sounds like a little bit of digital distortion, maybe a glitch in my copy, thought it was the rip at first but dug the CD out and it's there too.

10. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it's also on the RCA CDs though, so it's more than likely on the tape.

swedgin likes this.
  11. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Just checked the Ryko and it's there too, can't believe I never spotted that before. Sounded digital to me which was why I didn't think to check but mystery solved.

12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yeah that's what disappointed me. It doesn't sound bad per se, but could do with a bit more warmth and bass...but it sounds like that isn't something that the original would offer a lot more of. Sometimes, I guess it's just the recording.

I actually listened to the latest Dan Auerbach record after...talk about a completely different sounding record with a big, hefty bottom end. Sometimes records just sound so different, it's just working out whether it's the recording or the pressing that's influencing it especially before laying out more money on another pressing. I would love a Hunky Dory EMI 100 and would probably pay about £100 if one came up, but people are asking ridiculous money now for them.

Turntable likes this.
  13. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

O.K. I've gone over some old eq curves I used when eq'ing the Ryko CD's to sound like RCA vinyl. While TMWSTW Ryko CD is really thin some of the others are less so, or aren't so much thin as having a hike in the eq around 2k. Not a spike but a gentle curve. Diamond Dogs is one such, though less so on the Ryko vinyl which doesn't sound bad at all, and I wouldn't characterise it as thin - it has more bottom end than the CD as well. If you say Ryko TMWSTW vinyl isn't thin, I believe you. I only have DD having sold the 6LP S&V box once I'd ripped the exclusive tracks. Someone with a full set of Ryko vinyl needs to do a proper comparison.

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The Rhino CDs were signed off by Bowie. I doubt he bothered checking out the vinyl. He may not even have really checked out the CDs. We really don't know.

Have you ever heard an original Mercury or early RCA TMWSTW on a good system? If not, I'm sorry - you really don't have the knowledge to talk about how the bass is "supposed" to sound on it. That's just a fact.

15. Turntable

LOL. have a look at my system page and it is more than adequate to ascertain what decent bass is.
    I suggest you look in the mirror and take your own advise.
    That is a fact.

16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

You wanna upgrade to a Crosley or a Debut Carbon :yikes:

Turntable likes this.
  17. Turntable

Great idea :D i would then be qualified to talk about what good bass is supposed to sound like.

Neonbeam and richbdd01 like this.
  18. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Touche BayBee!!!!!.! :righton:

And 'That is a fact'! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Beave

19. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Ladies, please! ;)

The Beave likes this.
  20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Let's face it...we're all a bunch of a-holes anyway :cheers:

Turntable and The Beave like this.
  21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

So far away from the point of what I'm saying that it's really hilarious.

I'm not criticizing your system, so don't move the goalposts. The question was, have you heard an original Mercury or early RCA TMWSTW? The point being, if you haven't, then you don't have a real basis of comparison for what the bass on the album is supposed to sound like. If you have, then you have an informed opinion. I'm trying to figure which. Can we keep that on track?

22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

See, this is proof we are all a-holes....:eek:

23. Axel192

Axel192 Member

I am desperately looking for this on vinyl... it seems to not be available for under 650€ ... especially not sealed or unplayed. Any hints??

24. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

That's around € 50 per album, you can get really good original RCA vinyl for that.

mr.dave likes this.
  25. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Agree 100%. Original uk or German RCA pressings are as good as it gets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.