David Bowie Heathen 5.1 Surround Mix on SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chaz, Jan 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaz

chaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Just thought I'd ask the group if anyone's heard this yet and if they have, what do they think.

2. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

So far, the reviews on the Multichannel SACD version of David Bowie's Heathen have been very positive. I'd suggest reading the reviews on this disc over on the QuadraphonicQuad forum at http://pub9.ezboard.com/fquadraphonicquadfrm7.showMessage?topicID=37.topic for a look.

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I just got this disc and have only played it once. I'd say that it is definitely mixed by someone who believes in using the rear channels for ambience instead of putting the listener in the center of the band. In fact I initially wondered whether my rear speakers were working! I did find odd that the center channel is used inconsistently but I suppose that if David's vocals weren't at least sometimes mostly coming from the center speaker, some would feel like they aren't getting a multichannel mix.

4. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Actually, I find the rear surrounds on the Heathen 5.1 mix to be pretty aggressively used. Although they are mostly used for ambiance, but by no means only used in that manner (listen to the swirling sounds in the beginning of the very first track), it is a very boosted ambiance when compared to, say, the ambiance on Kind of Blue or the Michael Tilson Thomas w/ the San Francisco Symphony recording of the Mahler #6.

Overall though, I like the 5.1 mix of Heathen. It really opens up the sound-stage and makes a good album even better, IMO.

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

It's all relative. I guess I didn't think of it as aggressive because so many multichannel mixes are much more aggressive in their use of the rear channels. I also realized that after I made my post that (a) I only heard the thing once and (b) quite honestly I was a bit distracted on and off while it was playing. My post was mostly informed by a few tracks where I literally stood up and put my ear next to the rear speakers to hear what, if anything, was coming out of them.

6. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

My apologies if you feel I was stepping on your toes because I surely didn't mean to do that. I was merely stating my personal opinion and, yes, it's all relative. I agree with you though, other 5.1 mixes, especially of material such as this, are usually more aggressive in their use of the surrounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.