David Bowie - Heroes 2017 fixed remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dtuck90, Oct 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Exactly !

2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Side 2 of the "loss of energy" album was ok though?

TonyCzar likes this.
  3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Maybe Mr Visconti scratched the stampers for side 2 because he was annoyed at people complaining about his masterstroke in "preserving" the tape flaw in the master.

4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I have a feeling they used the same stamper for Side Two too many times; printed up zillions for the ANCIANT and wider individual release, then scrapped a whole bunch after the energy loss imbroglio, only to re-press a large second batch for the corrected one — without re-cutting the approved stamper for the second side, as they had to for Side One

Pavol Stromcek and Six Bachelors like this.
  5. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Got my third copy of the standalone "Heroes" LP. On this copy, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that the scratchy right-channel surface noise on the first two songs on side two is mostly gone. It isn't dead silent, but it is significantly more intermittent/occasional, and significantly quieter than on the last two copies. (On the last two copies, the surface noise was pretty much constant.) There is, however, this odd bit of high-pitched distortion in the left channel on "Neukoln" each time the saxophone does a louder/higher-pitched squall. It did not do this on the last two copies, so it has to be an issue with this particular pressing and not my cartridge. Also, side one on this third copy is a little bit off center (the others were not), though I'm going to have to give it another listen to really determine whether it's off center enough to audibly affect the pitch.

Sigh... I'm starting to feel like this copy may be as good as it's going to get. At this point, I'd happily take a box set pressing with the "loss of energy" as long as it's otherwise quieter/better than these standalone pressings. It's crazy how much you have to lower your expectations with new vinyl these days.

Solace likes this.
  6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Without making any excuses for the issue with this particular album (after all, I've not heard it), my opinion based on much of what I read on the forums is that peoples expectations for Vinyl are too high in a mass-produced world. Back in the day you'd never return an album because it had a slight warp, or there was surface noise between tracks, etc. Today people seem to want their Vinyl pressings to be as quiet as CD. It's not realistic, imo. Which is not to say it can't be silent - just that the expectation and demand for that is unreasonable. Perhaps it's because digital versions have been released for years, and surface noise hasn't been there, that it bothers people so much. To me it's just one of the reasons why I left Vinyl behind. If you don't have surface noise now, or crackles, then rest assured, one day you will. It's Vinyl... it's part of the format.

IMO.

7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Parlophone/Bowie pressings range from excellent to dire. It’s the only vinyl I have had to return. A Recall:3 in the Berlin box, and a Bowie Now on RSD, which was scratched. For such a large company, they are consistent in getting it wrong.

8. Pavol Stromcek

As someone who has been collecting records for over 35 years (and maybe you've been at it far longer than I), I disagree. I have noticed a significant decline in the quality of new vinyl over the last 10-15 years. Sure, vinyl was never CD perfect, but back in the 80s, I never encountered anywhere near the number of newly pressed LPs with the kinds of problems I've been seeing in recent years. Furthermore, I do sometimes still find beautiful, quiet, near-perfect, new LPs, which proves that it can be done and that it's not impossible to press records that are quiet, centered, and flat, nor is it unreasonable to expect it. It is possible to get it right, but because today there are far fewer pressing plants in operation, and the people working in many of them are probably less experienced, less knowledgeable, and more inundated, there's a greater prevalence of issues with quality control.

The surface noise I and others have been complaining about with this particular release of "Heroes" is super noticeable and distracting, and continues pretty much uninterrupted throughout two entire tracks, one of which is quiet and atmospheric - I'm not just taking about a bit of random popping and ticking.

karmaman and jon9091 like this.
  9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It’s the ridiculous 180gm standard that no one can seem to deal with in pressing, and has no benefit anyway.

10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I agree I hear a lot of people on this forum talk a LOT about returning vinyl. Some people (not on this thread) seem to even brag about it, like returning vinyl is some kind of audiophile badge of honor. It is annoying.

In the case of Heroes and Low I think the desire for a clean pressing is understandable. On side 2 of each album I want to just lose myself in the instrumental world of the music. Since my original 1970s copies are somewhat noisy I was really looking forward to the reissues to hear them clean.

Vinyl will never be perfect. I only return a few per year if they are massively defective. But on some special titles you want that best experience...

11. Pavol Stromcek

Exactly!

12. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I got my third replacement disc and it sounds just as awful as the other copies so I give up.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

If the original record was good on side two and the replacement on side one they you do have a clean "Heroes" but on two discs instead of one. Not the most convenient but I'm sure you can live with it?

Now pick up any clean RCA version (not the French one as that has "Heroes/Heros" on it) and you have the entire album in "old" and improved sound! :D

MitchLT likes this.
  14. killie99

killie99 Forum Resident

My 4th copy has been sent today and in the email Warners have stated they will not send me another. So they think it's acceptable to have dreadful quality control and I've just got to put up with it? Don't think so! We'll see how this copy is, should be here by the weekend.

15. It’s just marketing. People think heavier, thicker records are better. Funny how the thinner, lighter UK, EU, and Jpn Beatles pressings sound better than their thicker US equivalents. In other words, it’s in the mastering, not in the use of heavyweight vinyl.

tin ears and scobb like this.
  16. Radio-Aktivität

Radio-Aktivität Forum Resident

If you haven't already got your "fixed" copy of "Heroes" you're probably not going to get one off Parlophone who have just issued the following statement;

“The offer for replacement discs of “Heroes” from the David Bowie box set “A New Career In A New Town (1977-1982)” has now come to an end. We apologise for the inconvenience, and understand it must be disappointing. However, the version of the album with the updated “Heroes” is available from all streaming and download services, as well as on individual CD and LP via all good physical outlets.”

Not sure what Trading Standards would have to say on the matter but serve Parlophone right if nobody bought the next box set and simply downloaded it from some illegal site.

17. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

How can they put a full stop on replacing faulty vinyl by saying that people can go and buy it again? What if someone only just buys the boxset on the shelf at a record store now and has no idea about the problem? How can that person be denied a replacement just because Parlaphone says it won't do it anymore?

Surely if something really wanted to, he or she could take Parlaphone to court over refusing to replace faulty merchandise?

18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Can I assume that the version of Heroes on vinyl currently for sale is the corrected version?

19. DJ Johnny123

DJ Johnny123 Active Member

Your fault for buying a Rhino remaster in the first place I should think.

20. :crazy:

Welcome to SHF, as well as my ‘ignore’ list.

MoonPanda and Six Bachelors like this.
  21. If you already bought or plan to purchase and wind up with the defective version of Heroes, perhaps ordering it again and then returning the defective CD/LP (or box set) for a refund or exchange (Amazon worldwide is very accommodating in this regard) may be the best way to handle this.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Thats like telling someone who’s car got stolen they shouldn't have parked there.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I held of the box set but might try the reissue if the individual vinyl is fixed.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  24. killie99

killie99 Forum Resident

My 4th copy is trash, probably the worst of all the copies I have been sent. I've complained and I am awaiting their response.

25. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Weird comment. Rhino does a lot of great reissues.

scobb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.