David Bowie Is: Brooklyn Museum Exclusive Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

We appreciate your honesty...

AnalogJ likes this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Sorry, not meant to denigrate. Just a lot to unpack. And surprised to see your reaction.

And I was trying to help beyond that to give some context to what you saw and heard.

3. sortvinyl

sortvinyl Forum Resident

I understand what you are talking about.

I think it is important to remember that the exhibition was made by the V&A, that is very much a design museum, so their view is on the visual design of things, not to dig deep into Bowie's work and analyse anything, or be putting the core of his work into context.

I really enjoyed the exhibition in Bologna, but my dream exhibition would be one about the content of Bowie's work, that off course also would include his style/costumes as part of it, it's all connected.

Another thing, for anyone going to the exhibition please post here when the Live In Berlin Lp is available in the museum shop again. (the one outside the exhibition). I'm trying to get a friend to pick one up for me, but dont' want her to go in vain. Thanks.

4. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

wow

5. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Strange as it sounds, I liked the bizarre fading in and out. I think the randomness and almost overwhelming, nonchronological multimedia mix around every corner did a good job of representing Bowie (probably what it was like inside his brain most days :) ).

I agree with you about Eno's synth. It was kind of off in a corner, and it is just so representative of an important part of Bowie's trajectory. Berlin in general got short shrift, I think, but then again, I was by myself in there when I visited while everyone else was watching movie clips. So I guess the curators knew their U.S. audience.

ralphb likes this.
  6. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Actually, some disagreement could be due to the fact that the exhibit has NOT been the same in every country. My friend saw it in the UK and thought it was kind of lame. She went here in NYC and it blew her mind... said there were so many new things, that she wants to go back again before it closes. Apparently the UK exhibit had more costumes in it.
    Personally, I found it incredibly inspiring and beautiful. It felt like hangin with an old buddy.

ceddy10165 and sortvinyl like this.
  7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I enjoyed the randomness too. As you say, probably what it was like in his head, and a lot less academic than it would have been had it been orderly. Maybe also a sly homage to the cut up method of writing he used now and again. I also think the exhibit is meant to be overwhelming, a great big wham to the senses.
    Regarding the costumes, I found a lot of it very enlightening. For instance, it was cool to see photos of the dada artists who inspired the costume Bowie wore on SNL when he performed with Klaus Nomi, then have the costume and the video right in front of you. I'm not usually big on that kind of thing, but as a glimpse into Bowie's esthetic it was quite valuable.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  8. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

I went to the exhibit yesterday. All three exclusive vinyl selections were available in the exhibit gift shop. They had about 25 copies of Live in Berlin, maybe ten of ISelect, and about a dozen of the 7''. The two albums are $25 each and the 7" is $15. Being a collector and a fan, I of course bought all three. I didn't see many people showing any interest in them and saw only one other person in the check out line with Live in Berlin. The cashier commented that I must be a collector since the three records were the only items I bought. I guess availability is all a matter of timing as other commenters have previously suggested. I did not go to the main museum gift shop.

Speaking as a longtime fan (I saw three shows on the Ziggy tour), I loved the exhibit as did my wife. There is a lot to take in and I encourage everyone to take their time to make sure you see everything. Some of the rooms wind around in weird directions so you sometimes have to double back before moving to the next room. We went right at 11:00 when the exhibit opens so while it can get crowded in places it was generally manageable at that time. There is some back-up around the videos and some of the displays get blocked by people standing there watching so you have to politely excuse yourself (not easy since everyone is wearing headphones) to get in to read posted text. The headphones do take a bit of acclimation but we managed that in the first or second room. After that we had no problems. (Though my wife's unit crapped out about 3/4s of the way through and we had to track down an "orange shirt person" to get a replacement.) We spent a very solid three hours in the exhibit and could have spent longer if we watched all the videos. (They're all on youtube anyway.)

Based on our experience and the comments of others, your best bet for avoiding the largest crowds is go go right at opening time on a weekday. (And since Wednesday is the first viewing day of the week, perhaps that impacts the exclusive vinyl availability as well.) When you exit the exhibit you can see through to the first room. When we left mid-afternoon, that first room was packed nuts-t0-butts. Didn't look like anyone was even moving.

All in all, we had a fine time.

P.S. - Cracks me up the way NYC cabbies drive in bike lanes. :biglaugh:

sortvinyl, Mazzy and AnalogJ like this.
  9. Friday. Just saw the great show. Perfect to start right when they open at 11. Not hot or crowded. Had the three records in the Show shop. Bought all three.

[​IMG]

10. AnalogJ

Good you there early. Bowie's armpit starts to get a bit rank after a few hours.

chacha likes this.
  11. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I went today. Still plenty of vinyl in the gift shop.

[​IMG]

LoveYourLife, sortvinyl and AnalogJ like this.
  12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Little surprised. It makes MILLIONS from every city it visits. "Free money" for the estate to have his closet move around the globe. I heard a rumour on the asking price to host it from someone involved with a Vancouver bid and it was much higher than I expected. I saw it in Europe, but it's never been to the West Coast of the US yet.

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Who's buying mugs with the "Tonight" artwork?

14. AnalogJ

Jay Leno?

15. sortvinyl

sortvinyl Forum Resident

I would, I love the album and it had good artwork :D

Neonbeam likes this.
  16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

mugs.

gomen ne and sortvinyl like this.
  17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Good to see that they keep restocking. I couldn't care less but a friend wants the "Live" ep.

18. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Sorry about the rainy/dreary weather here (although yesterday wasn't too bad). Early May was delightful weather, but the last week has turned cool and damp.

Mazzy likes this.
  19. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

This lp’s are excellent. Live is 8/10 overall 10/10, iSelecet is 10/10 all, and 7” 10/10

AnalogJ likes this.
  20. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Night Of 1000 Bowies at the museum featured one of the best performances of this song ever ...

21. AnalogJ

Very Cirque Du Soleil

22. Cool comp.

[​IMG]

23. ottosander

ottosander Forum Resident

Is there a kind person who can buy the Live in Berlin vinyl for me and would ship it to Germany. I would obviously cover the costs......

24. vlad676

vlad676 Forum Resident

How good the pressing is ?

25. Both of the 12" Bowie pressings that I bought at the Brooklyn show were excellent. I didn't have high expectations but they are great.

vlad676 and hardknox like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.