David Bowie Is: Brooklyn Museum Exclusive Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Agreed, there's a chance we may take the kids to NY for a few days at the end of April and if we do I will definitely go to see the exhibition, but I'd be mightily pissed off if the special editions weren't available when I got there!

ralphb likes this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Just avoid Monday and Tuesday as the museum is closed then.

lightbulb and jimod99 like this.
  3. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

The exclusive vinyl isn't the draw for most, but rather the exhibit itself (obviously). Can't get that on eBay.

This is also the last stop on the tour.

4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

"Not only is it the last show of the tour..."

jhl1822, AlienRendel, Tanx and 4 others like this.
  5. Spot778

Spot778 Forum Resident

The museum itself is well worth a visit if you're in town. Highly recommend it

sekaer likes this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Love it!

7. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

I would not show up without a ticket and expect to get in. This exhibition at the V & A sold out very quickly. I live in Brooklyn but I'm not going until June.

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

DBI have used that "card" in other cities 4-5 times now.

It's yet to visit South America or the west coast/LA. I assume it will run indefinitely, as it's quite lucrative for the estate.

lightbulb likes this.
  9. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

The shop is before the ticket entrance to the museum, so yes, you can just walk in off the street and directly into the shop.

mooseman and FourWalledWorld like this.
  10. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fair enough

11. Chellovek

Chellovek Forum Resident

I have a friend in New York this week. How risky would it be to ask him to go there and get in the shop without a ticket? He already visited the exhibition elsewhere and wouldn't want to go again.

12. glide

glide Forum Resident

Why would it be risky? Pretty sure they are in the business of selling things.

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. Chellovek

Chellovek Forum Resident

Because he might not be able to get in the museum store without a ticket for the exhibition. I've never been there, so don't know how this works.

14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

It's an interesting exhibition, worth seeing. I saw it in London, though I think it was only about £15/£20 to get in.

15. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I'm faintly cheesed off that the Toronto stop didn't get any vinyl goodies. I went twice though, great exhibition.

16. ralphb

The show starts this Friday. Unless they set up something special for the Bowie show, you can walk into the gift shop without paying admission. Personally I hope the only way you can get the goodies is if you buy a ticket for the show.

17. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Going to be in NYC at the end of June, so just bought some tickets for the exhibit. Stoked to be able to see it. Hopefully, they'll have some exclusives left, but won't hold my breath on it.

18. glide

glide Forum Resident

Ahhhhh...for all other engagements you can just walk into the gist shop from the street. Worst case he has to shell out another $20 for a ticket to the exhibit.

Chellovek likes this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It better...I haven't owned a turntable since 1990...and never will again.

bobcat likes this.
  20. Chellovek

Chellovek Forum Resident

Thank you! I guess it's worth a shot, then. He'll be doing me a favour, so I'm crossing my fingers it won't be too much of a hassle. :sweating:

21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

What exactly is being shown during the exhibition?

22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Lots of "stuff":

Brooklyn Museum

Including:

Highlights of the exhibition include more than 60 custom-made performance costumes, including six designed by Freddie Burretti for Ziggy Stardust / 1980 Floor Show and seven designed by Kansai Yamamoto for Aladdin Sane. There are 85 handwritten lyric sheets, including those from “Fame” and “Fashion”; drawings, including a sketch for the Young Americans album cover; and oil paintings, including two of musician Iggy Pop, all by Bowie. There are also more than 40 pioneering music videos, television clips, and filmed roles as well as a multimedia presentation of international tour footage with rare scenes from the legendary Diamond Dogs tour, filmed in Philadelphia. A custom audio mix made up of snippets of Bowie’s songs—produced by longtime collaborator Tony Visconti—is also featured.

23. Not quite. On Record Store Day, April, 2017 there were 2 different David Bowie albums released on vinyl. Here's what happened with me.

I was already over my budget for buying music that day. I was down to the last title. It was a tossup between that David Bowie - PROMO LP and Cracked Actor (Live Los Angeles '74). The staff in the store and some other customers all said, "Get the PROMO LP. That is the one that will be hard to find shortly and command big bucks on eBay and Discogs."

I purchased the PROMO LP. Well we all know what happened with that. Less than 24 hours after RSD, I went searching for the live LP set. Everyone was sold out. A couple of the record shops in Calgary today, still have the BOWIE - PROMO LP for sale.

Last time I checked on Discogs the Cracked Actor (Live Los Angeles '74) is selling for around $100 Canadian. And that of course is before shipping. If I ever bite the bullet, I will be looking at around $130. :shake:

A short time after RSD, the live Bowie album was released commercially but only on CD.

Tanx and Adam Bosman like this.
  24. ralphb

jhm likes this.
  25. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Several handwritten lyrics sheets of songs that Charlie Watts wrote, plus a bunch of his drumming costumes ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.