David Bowie Is: Brooklyn Museum Exclusive Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arndur

Arndur Forum Resident

Confirmed with the Museum that the Bowie dedicated gift shop is set up within the exhibit itself. So, you have to buy a ticket to get to the Shop exclusives. They said that the main gift shop "may" eventually stock some items as well though

audiotom, Groovy, TonyCzar and 4 others like this.
  2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I was on vacation for RSD and didn't think I'd get any of the Bowie releases, weeks later I was picking my daughter up from a birthday party and was a few mins early so popped into the record store a couple of blocks from where the party was being held and they had a copy of Cracked Actor in stock!

A few weeks later I got a copy of the PROMO in another store that was selling off its remaining RSD stock at 40% off, and they had 2 copies, theres still plenty of copies of the promo kicking around stores in Ottawa, most of which have been reduced in price.

3. Chellovek

Chellovek Forum Resident

Thanks for the updated info.

So probably the vinyl exclusives won't be available at the main gift shop this friday, right?

4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

My guess is none of it will be available at the gift shop until after the exhibit ends.

Chellovek likes this.
  5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

If so, I can imagine a line just waiting to get into the gift shop being longer than the museum entrance...
    Oh Wait, correct that - it’s not the 80’s anymore ;)

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Brooklyn is the 11th stop for the exhibition on 5 continents. Looking at the vinyl exclusives of each.

Toronto/Berlin/Sao Paolo - Are 3 cites that didn't seen to get any exclusive. The red vinyl iSelect LP seems to be exclusive to the exhibition but has been available in maybe 4-5 of the cities.

-Bologna got the Italian lyric Space Oddity blu vinyl 45
    -Amsterdam got blue vinyl LP for Man of words/Man of music
    -Amsterdam got orange vinyl 45 of Amsterdam/My Death(Carnegie 72)
    -Barcelona got red vinyl 45 of I'm Afraid of Americans/Heroes(Acoustic Bridge School 96)
    -London got "orange" vinyl Heathen LP
    -Paris got blue vinyl 45 Heroes(French)/Heroes(Vancouver 83)
    -Melbourne got yellow 45 of Let's Dance(single edit)/Let's Dance(Vancouver 83)
    -Brooklyn got silver 45 Time/Prettiest Star
    -Brooklyn got orange LP 8 track Berlin 78
    -Tokyo got 45 picture disc of Lady Stardust/Crystal Japan
    -Tokyo got red vinyl 12 inch Blackstar single with title track and 2 other BS songs in edit form

During the Tokyo run, Japan stores had access to yellow Next Day, clear Reality, blue Reality live box and blue Heathen.

Hard to find numbers but some red iSelects were said to be 500 per city. Paris exclusive was said to be around 2,000, but that strikes me as quite low.

Berlin 78 may pop up on the April RSD list in a couple days to help promote the eno trilogy vinyl individual vinyl releases that just came out.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  7. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I was surprised to see it pop up as an exclusive here but I suppose it could be released on black vinyl for RSD or perhaps even as an expanded version (i.e. the full show).
    Failing that, there's always the Perth show that appeared as a b-side on one of the recent picture discs. Or else it'll skip ahead and we'll get some sort of Let's Dance anniversary release. We'll just wait and see...

8. SoundAdvice

I don't think Berlin 78 will be more than 8 tracks on any format. There's already been Bowie 78 overkill with all the "stage" variations. Plus they have the option to still do a 1978 tour blu-ray with Japan/Dallas/Earl's Court/Beat Club.

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Isn't it hilarious that "Berlin 78" is for sale in NYC? And when I was in London the orange "Heathen" was already sold out. So when I finally make it to NYC this June - my fourth visit to this exhibition - I fully expect all "exclusives" to be gone:biglaugh:

But let's face it: None if it is really especially desirable. If we are being honest:hide:

10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Amsterdam? Don't believe everything on DB official, it was Groningen of course.

[​IMG]

Tanx likes this.
  11. SoundAdvice

I've skipped all the 45s in the past 5-6 years, including the one from the Bologna exhibit I attended. I expect all the stray tracks to be collected together sometime in the future.

The red vinyl blackstar does admittedly LOOK very verry cool in pictures.

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

Attending on Saturday. Hoping some vinyl is left.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  13. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Surely it's one of the most annoying reissue programs in the history of recorded music. This Berlin 78 set should have been in the ANCIANT box. The same with ChangesTwoBowie. It just seems like relentless exploitation.

audiotom and Coley like this.
  14. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I got the Italian “Space Oddity” 7” from Amazon Canada for $25 at Christmas.

15. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

The Paris exclusive was available on Amazon Fr.

16. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

\

Didn't London also get the green vinyl reissue of 1: Outside too?

17. Coley

Coley Well-Known Member

Need to have deep pockets to keep up with all the new (old) releases

lightbulb likes this.
  18. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Three RSD discs. That explains why we still didn't get a full Stage show.

[​IMG]

19. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

May also explain why we just saw a bootleg release of the complete July 1, 1978 Earl's Court soundboard. It literally just started circulating last month - and everyone was surprised that a 40 year old recording had come out of nowhere.

Of course the official release will no doubt sound better, and will be sold as a non-limited CD after Record Store Day is over, rendering the bootleg inert.

Bowie's team is starting to impress!

20. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Starting to see Brooklyn Museum postings on Instagram.

Figured Bowie Now would get an eventual RSD release...

21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Re: the live album:

Mixed by David Bowie and David Richards at Mountain Studios, Montreux, 17th– 22nd January 1979.
    There's no London performances on "Stage", right? so ... they spent a week in 1979 mixing for the yanked video?

22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Soundboard? This claims to be, 1-jul-1978:

Upload dated 2013. One poster complains that some non-soundboard was edited in.

[EDIT: Never mind. "Part 2" YouTube didn't emerge until Nov. 2017, so I guess this is what's newly available. No "Rebel Rebel".]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  23. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

I am contemplating heading up to the exhibit next week, and I'm in Virginia. I saw it in Toronto and it was a good time, so I'd like to see it again. However, I'm wondering how fast these will sell out. I would be disappointed to get up there next week and have them all be sold out already. I'm sure the Berlin one will be the first to go.

24. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Yeah the first set of the evening, which was the Low material, had circulated for years. The second set, the Ziggy Stardust set, had only been an audience recording until now with its recent appearance on bootleg vinyl (a few months ago) and bootleg silver CD (last month). We aren't supposed to discuss bootlegs, but the context here is of Bowie's team about to out-do the bootleggers so I hope it is ok to have touched on it briefly. The bootleg sounds ok - clearly not the original master tape but suggestive of how amazing the original might sound. An official release could sound amazing.

Related note, I just bought the Cracked Actor CD from Amazon an hour ago to show my support for what Bowie's people are starting to do. I'd been meaning to pick it up, and I figured now is the perfect moment to make that purchase into a gesture. Every Bowie fan who wants more of these should do the same.

TonyCzar likes this.
  25. SoundAdvice

London 1978 exists on film. IIRC, Bowie was preparing a theatrical/video release of the show then killed it when he saw it. This was a TV clip that only seems to be a 2 cam mix.

David Hemmings shot the concert stuff and Bowie may have walked away from it after Just a Gigalo(Hemmings & Bowie) sank without a trace at the box office when it opened in the UK Feb 14th 1979..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.