David Bowie Is: Brooklyn Museum Exclusive Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mBen989, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I hate limited manufactured collectibles. If all of the music was also available digitally (you know, for people who actually really only cared about hearing the music) I’d have no problem. Everything else is too close to Beanie Babies/Upper Deck cashgrabs for me.

TonyCzar likes this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Which is pathetic seeing as the exhibit lasts through July.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

All three Bowie vinyl box sets released to date cost me less than $649.

audiotom and Neonbeam like this.
  4. bad_penny

bad_penny Forum Resident

Just tried to exchange my tickets for an earlier date and all weekend Lightning Bolt tickets are sold out through May.

5. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i heard differently... that the 7" had not arrived yet (from a BAM member who got the LP). whatever the truth it's ridiculous how this has been an issue at each and every stop that had exclusives - the lack of thought for those who aren't going at the start of the run. the limit of 2 per person is at least an attempt. but really, there is nothing to stop them pressing more so that they are available for the duration. this seems to have been the case for the Japanese 12" and the Italian 7" at least. availability at a a single location is surely limitation enough.

EDIT: the person who said the 7"s hadn't arrived yet was told they'd be there on Thursday, so already there is conflicting information being provided by shop staff.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    TonyCzar and Neonbeam like this.
  6. ralphb

Perhaps they'll do some represses and those who are going later in the run might have a bit of luck.

7. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

No, not at all...shop is open to public, not just museum visitors

8. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Their Egyptian art is unparalleled (in the U.S.)

Spot778 likes this.
  9. ralphb

It's a great museum, currently running a Basquiat exhibit and a feminist exhibit that is well worth visiting, worth it for Judy Chicago's iconic The Dinner Party, which I believe is part of the permanent collection.
    If you go to Bowie in the spring, the Botanical Gardens are right next door and quite lovely.

10. dumaisaudio

dumaisaudio Forum Resident

Well the Time 7" was definitely available, because it's being sold on eBay, and I've seen pictures on Instagram. I called the gift shop phone number and the person I spoke to said it had already sold out, and that the Berlin one was selling fast.

11. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

that would be the way to go and follows the lead of the Italian 7" and Japanese 12". no numbers declared for either of those.
    doesn't change what the person who got my LP was told by staff in the same shop. this kind of conflicting information happens at every stop. essentially it boils down to shop staff not being armed with all the information. it would seem likely both are correct. it sold out but more are coming.

12. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I saw the exhibit in London several years ago and there were no vinyl exclusives when I was there :realmad:

13. dumaisaudio

Same in Toronto. I was bummed out.

I was planning on heading up to the exhibit next week, but now I'm not so sure. I want to go, but if all the exclusive records are sold out, I'll just be disappointed. I want to see the exhibit again, but I'm not sure it's worth all the money to get up there and pay for hotels just to see it again. I'm just hoping someone rips the Berlin record and puts it out there, since it's exclusive material.

AZRunner likes this.
  14. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Does anyone know how much the museum is selling the vinyl for?

15. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I saw the price stickers on ebay. $25 and $15

Groovy likes this.
  16. MondoFanM

**** it. I did a Buy it now for $250 on eBay. I’d like at least one set of the museum exclusives.

17. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I'd really like the Berlin LP. It would be great if this gets a CD release included with 'Welcome To The Blackout'. Maybe a 3 disc set? Probably not.

18. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You know that by doing that you encourage flipping? No offence but that's just plain daft. Enjoy! :righton:

But apparently you are not alone, there's a "Berlin" ep on thE bay right now standing at almost 240$ with 13 hours to go.

karmaman and FourWalledWorld like this.
  19. dumaisaudio

Well, on one hand, you're encouraging flippers. The flip side of that is that unless everyone boycotts it and no one buys these on eBay, then it's always going to happen. So you can make a personal decision to not support that, but it doesn't mean it's not going to happen. I had to buy the Cracked Actor vinyl last year on eBay, wasn't happy about it, but it was the only way to get it since I was too far back in line to get it at my local shop. With these museum exclusives, it's even more of a clear choice, since unless you're going to Brooklyn, eBay is your only option. Really, if you want to blame someone, blame Bowie's management for making such limited numbers.

20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I take it you didn't pay 250$ for "Cracked Actor"? And maybe waited until the heat died down? Buying these new items now for a price that's not only inflated but at this point completely arbitrary.... well... in my opinion that's daft.

Got my first "Cracked Actor" from thE bay too. But for a price that was based on comparisons. Only to find another copy in a store in Leipzig one week later :biglaugh:

21. dumaisaudio

I paid $70 for Cracked Actor the day after RSD, which I was ok with, especially considering that the price has stayed around that since then.

Yes, the prices are likely to come down on these Brooklyn exclusives, but only if supply keeps coming in. This is way more limited than an RSD release, so given that, the prices are going to be higher. If they all sell out this weekend and aren't restocked for weeks or months, then prices aren't coming down much in my opinion. Not based on what I've seen from the other exhibit exclusives.

22. Coley

Coley Well-Known Member

The should make all these exclusives mail order only and have an end date at which you need to submit by then select names randomly (much fairer IMO)

23. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

They could at least make the audio available in lossless download format.

dumaisaudio and Coley like this.
  24. MondoFanM

Yeah probably not the wisest use of money, but $250 does seem to be the lowest on eBay with most going for $350.

I have flipped and bought flips. And not just records. I’ve made money and I’ve been burned. Probably all evens out.

If i was able to go to this one, i’d be buying multiples and trying to trade for some of the worldwide exhibition releases somehow.

25. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

Exhibition is sold out, and my friend from Brocklyn just text me that his friends bought me. Berlin and iSelect. Time is gone

And I’m soo happy now

And shop is inside exhibition like was in EU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.