David Bowie LOVING THE ALIEN (1983-1988)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It doesn't warrant being called Low 2017, not for a little added bass. Just as it wasn't Heroes (2017). Some treat original releases as holy cows. I don't get it. With Low there's a slight change in sound, nothing major. If you want the original digitally, get the RCA.

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The soundtrack for Cat People is easy to find, and cheap. It's a great album, Bowie aside.

3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Scott, Visconti, Maslin, and McNulty all put their own names to their respective remixes/re-recordings/reworkings.

They're still calling the ANCIANT albums David Bowie.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

If he genuinely thinks these are the best they have ever sounded I question his taste and/or hearing because I strongly disagree with him.
    He may not have had the final say but Visconti has publicly endorsed the final result so stands by it and I feel comfortable in disagreeing with him, personally, on that issue.
    I question his integrity because he has re-written history and, imo, altered the sound of these pieces of work to his liking, not necessarily that of the artist (sadly we will never know).
    I realise he was part of the creative team that made this inspirational music and credit/respect to him for that. He has unilaterally altered this music and, imo, to it's detriment which makes me question his ego!
    Forums are for discussion, not just fawning over releases and, given my opinion on his contribution, I feel I have every right to criticise what he has done and philosophise as to why he made such, imo, poor choices.

Replying to all your points individually.... Childish! :D

I feel I should add that my opinion is tainted somewhat because I don't really appreciate any of these boxes. I listened to Diamond Dogs and The Gouster at the weekend and felt the mastering doesn't let either album breath and that the new masters are, in general, fatiguing.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    gomen ne, tin ears, sortvinyl and 4 others like this.
  5. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

The 7" single edit is on here: David Bowie - The Best Of David Bowie 1980 / 1987 and on some versions of Best of Bowie, including the US 2CD one: Bowie* - Best Of Bowie. Don't know about the 12" version though. I wonder if sometime down the line here there will be a compilation of all the mixes and edits that haven't appeared on any of the Re:Call sets.

6. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

He won't be getting the box set, may have an original one with signature, and if at all interested will realise it's just a temporary thing. Just like Adrian Belew who saw his epic final solo on Boys get butchered, but only in the temporary 2017 remix.

7. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

Ok,

Just finished Serious Moonlight.

I have to say that this was a perfectly executed

Entertainment event/show. As opposed to a powerful, raw,

Rock show.

From the set lists, to the costumes, the lighting, the song arrangements,

For what it was, this worked perfectly.

So, in regards to the arrangements, softer songs like Mars and Space Oddity

Were given musical weight, while raw songs like white light, scary monsters,

And even to some extent, rebel… these were tamed a bit and brought in to line with the rest of the offerings, mainly by horn arrangements.

Now it may seem like I’m knocking the show by saying this , but I’m not.

With the greater audience size and wider demographic, this was probably

Just what he needed to do.

I saw the show twice, as I mentioned, and loved it. I also have seen every tour since Ziggy, and don’t remember at the time feeling disappointed, I think I looked at

It as just another Bowie lol.

With the current trend of rock stars to set up residency in Vegas,

Elton, Rod, Even the Who and Prince have done it.

This show would have been a huge hit even now!

But I will say… Rock n roll it aint lol

I think sonically , this is an excellent memento of the show.
    It's just too bad that it is not the entire set

snowman872, gomen ne and BlueSpeedway like this.
  8. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I thought the regular 12" version was the album version? Only the Australian promo (David Bowie - Cat People (Putting Out Fire) ) had an extended version?

9. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Just got mine—in a flimsy, bubble envelope. Thanks, Amazon. Btw, the upper right is damaged.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

So it's not very good and you wish it was longer? ;)

11. APhillyKid

exactly!

BlueSpeedway, ejluther and adm62 like this.
  12. ejluther

ejluther Forum Resident

Reminds me of this restaurant I know; it has terrible food...and such small portions! (credit Woody Allen/Annie Hall which already calls this an old joke)

Chris Bernhardt and Merrick like this.
  13. APhillyKid

doctor, will i be able to play the piano?......

anyway, like I said was not bad, just a different bowie

broadway Dave lol

14. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I thought so too. According to this site: David Bowie - Illustrated db Discography > Songs: C (a great Bowie site if you've never checked it out), there was a remix on a US 12" that ran 5:32 but yeah, it appears that 9:21 12" remix only ever appeared on that Australian promo, to my knowledge. It appears to have been pressed my mistake since it only ever appeared once, but who knows.

turnersmemo likes this.
  15. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Yes, it only ever appeared on that Australian promo... if you're interested, follow the link: David Bowie – Cat People (Putting Out Fire) (Australia 12″ Ltd. Edition)

It contains at least one musical passage that doesn't appear on any other mix - original material, or added by the remixer, I wonder?

davers likes this.
  16. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Bowie's part of the "rap" was removed too.
    the 5:32 "disconet remix" is not fully authorised (similar mixes exist for Let's Dance and This Is Not America). the officially released commercial versions are the 4:08 single and 6:41 album/12" version, plus the 9:20 Australian extended version 12". there are two official promo edits too, the effective 3:18 found on US and German 7" and the lazy 3:08 Dutch 7" that fades in on "...with gasoline" (i.e. with an incomplete sentence).
    not a promo... promo-stamped copies may exist but it was a commercial release.

gomen ne and footprintsinthesand like this.
  17. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Thanks

18. The 7 inch is on the EMI compilation Best of Bowie - Wikipedia

19. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

Just in case anyone's reading this and thinks to themselves,

"I'll pick up an Australian 12" Cat People so I can get that otherwise unobtainable edit",

beware that there are two 12" editions and the labels look the same. Neither mention the 9 min version. The first edition was the album version backed with the 7" edit. The second edition was the 7" edit and the extended 9'20" second version. As, k.man said, they're both commercial releases. At this point in time not many sites mention this.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Colinjpush likes this.
  20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I listened to my original vinyl of NLMD this evening, and y’know what? I came to the realization that “Too Dizzy” is actually one of the better cuts on side 2. It’s well-produced, nothing is glaringly in bad taste in that overbearing ‘80s way, and the lyrics seem designed for a live version where Bowie plays a fedora-wearing ‘40s mobster with a beautiful dancer as his moll.

So why did he decide he hated it and wanted it removed from reissues of NLMD? It’s not “grisly” as he says. All signs point to it having something to do with denying Erdal Kizilcay songwriting royalties. It’s the only thing that makes sense.

Cat People and CBackley like this.
  21. Yeah I had and then returned that last box. Horrible sounding mess. Better invest in original vinyl versions by far.

one big benefit of buying big boxes from amazon.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  22. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I think you nailed it.

23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Funny — I just listened to it on YouTube and thought, god this is a terrible song, no wonder he buried it...

24. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

They have replaced the video then. Originally it made reference to a HD Download.

Looks like this will be the first physical box I buy

TonyCzar likes this.
  25. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I played quite a bit on my main system of the 16/44 flac. Just based on what I heard, my guess is as someone else put in 20 pages or so back, most of this was likely originally recorded in early 16/44, as opposed to analog which explains why no 24/96. I mentioned the same 20 pages back that there was an official SACD of Let's Dace, so if EMI was being honest, that was recorded in Analog.

To my ears, most of this sounds awful from a sonic perspective. Tonight is the only one of the 3 studio albums that were originally on cd that sounds like a slight upgrade to me from the last EMI remaster. I haven't compared Glass Spider to the previous official release, but I found the current version like all but Tonight to have a real lack of depth & detail. I even checked Serious Moonlight with Trader's Little Helper to see if it was truly lossless (it is) because it sounded so bad on my system. I didn't even listen to Let's Dance since I have the SACD. I did play the SACD & it sounded better than I remembered.