David Bowie LOVING THE ALIEN (1983-1988)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 18, 2018.

1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Fine print on the back of the Glass Spider DVD states that the source for the 5.1 was sourced from the two-track.

The 5.1 source is completely missing the Frampton riffs on "Jean Genie".

They're not mixed down - they're GONE.

Found the remnants of a 2007 discussion of this set on teh google, in some long-dead forum. and apparently, the tail end of CD1 has its own problems.

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Wow, glad I never bought that '87 DVD/CD combo pack now

In fact I don't own any of the material in this box set except for a few of the single edits on compilations, the aforementioned Serious Moonlight DVD, and beat up vinyl copies of Let's Dance & the Modern Love 12"

3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Had I not bought it, I'd still have the VHS. :(

scobb and audiotom like this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Well, crap. Hopefully they'll reconsider. I get why Glass Spider is an exclusive...a 3LP set chronicling one of Bowie's least-loved tours (and a tour better watched than listened to, in many people's opinion), i doubt it'd sell many copies on it's own. But I think Moonlight, assuming the audio is excellent, would be a pretty big seller.

Disco Biscuits likes this.
  5. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It was Jean Genie that made me totally aware something was messed up. All those riffs he does, including Satisfaction were imprinted in my brain from the VHS, all of a sudden I am watching and there's Framptom playing guitar and there's nothing coming out of the speakers. I am glad I kept my Brazillian GST DVD. Such a botch up and no one would accept there was a problem at the time. This was around the same time that they released the 12" 80s remixes on iTunes and a handful of the tracks had audible skips in them, again they never accepted there was an issue. Obviously whoever did the transfers weren't familiar with the source material.
    It has been awhile since I have played the CDs so am unaware of any issues with CD1.

Disco Biscuits likes this.
  6. Colocally

Which is why they want to keep it in the big box no doubt.

7. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Yes, it's another trademark Nigel Reeve ™ production

8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Welp. Guess I'll just enjoy streaming it instead. I don't have extra hundreds of dollars to drop on one thing at the moment...it's a lot easier to pick up titles individually as finances permit. Or I could give them pennies from streaming. Their call. We're finally into the one phase of Bowie's career where OP's are cheaper than reissues.

scobb likes this.
  9. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

My hopes for this set are that they finally do a respectable job on ALL the masterings in the set! Ease off - or don’t use at all - compression or limiting, at least not to such an extent it alters the original dynamics of the albums. Despite people’s mixed feelings about the album (and I prefer it to Hours, Heathen or Reality!), the original EMI America Tonight is one terrific sounding CD. Will be hard to improve it at all. On the other hand if they can tame a little of the brightness of NLMD that’d be an improvement. I hope the live albums are allowed to breathe too, no Nassau atrocities! Hopefully lessons have been learnt from all the complaints about the last set...

Runicen, Disco Biscuits and TonyCzar like this.
  10. Colocally

I just flicked through the SM DVD now, wow I haven't watched it in so long, can't believe how ropey it actually looks.

TonyCzar likes this.
  11. footprintsinthesand

Oh the irony, because if that turns reality new fans and completists will soon own brand new vinyl/cd albums with optimal dynamic range of the mid eighties legacy like we've never heard before. While stored next to it are the Eno trilogy and Scary Monsters albums that leave an awful lot to be desired in the sonic department.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  12. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

I know, and his mid 70s - early 80s is my favourite Bowie period too. It’s a crime the mastering has been so incredibly patchy so far. But if consumer feedback is positive for better masterings (in theory) of this new set perhaps that’d bode well for any future anniversary releases... As it stands I’m only buying this CD set now for the live albums and the redo of NLMD. The money I would happily have spent on the other box sets (and I got a refund on the Five Years vinyl set in the end, it was too variable sonically) I am using to gradually get v.good/mint conditions original releases of each core album. It seems the only way to go until his catalogue gets the Elvis or Beatles standard treatment, as it really should have by now...

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

My 'Glass Spider' DVD no longer plays at all anymore. It's just a worthless shiny coaster. Won't even load the menu. :shake:

And I was never able to get the 'Ricochet' bonus feature on 'Serious Moonlight' to play on any DVD or BluRay player I owned.

14. :biglaugh:

15. footprintsinthesand

What brand is your attitude player ?

16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

My attitude player?

My DVD players were Pioneer and my current BluRay player is an Oppo 105.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Nope, they're not bad at all.

I don't see this next box satisfying audiophile concerns. The Loudness Wars exist because the music industry took the dumbest path to satisfying the masses. They won't buck the trend for Bowie fans of his 80's pop hits. I'd wager these discs will be on a par with the previous boxes. If they weren't your thing, I think you'd be crazy to buy this box before the reviews come out (the reviews will confirm what I'm saying, imo, but at least then you won't be disappointed.)

marc with a c and scobb like this.
  18. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

My predictions:

You Belong in Rock 'n' Roll (1989 - 1992)
    Seven Years in Tibet (1993 - 1999)
    Killing a Little Time (2000 - 2016)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Rooster_Ties likes this.
  19. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

so it doesn't seem to be for sale direct from davidbowie.com yet any chance of some exclusive bonus there? hasn't been anything good since the pinups radio show but there are all sorts of bowie interview discs from the 80s they could repurpose...

20. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I like that title but would that not be Eight Years in Tibet?

21. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

iTunes took down the Never Let Me Down 'Features Original Vinyl Mixes' album from its store the other day. I don't know if it will vanish from people's collections or not, but it is no longer for sale.

TonyCzar likes this.
  22. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

1993-1999 then.

I'm bad at maths. :laugh:

Phillip Walch likes this.
  23. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

1993-2000 is sure to be “Hallo Spaceboy”.

marc with a c likes this.
  24. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Who am I to criticize? I had to add it up on fingers which is difficult on the hand over :laugh:

Bdbrown19, Vaughan and Haristar like this.
  25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I just realized.

I had to go through multiple copies of each of the prior RCA LP sets from Amazon to get 100% defect-free collections.

This is the one where I get off the vinyl bus with these sets. Going CD this time. 15 LPs is just too much of a risk when there's been non-fill and assorted sketchiness in each of the prior sets.