David Bowie LOVING THE ALIEN (1983-1988)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 18, 2018.

1. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I'm in. No pre-order links available yet?

Sean and CBackley like this.
  2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Just listened to the radio edit of Zeroes. It’s good! It is still dense, multilayered - clearly no easily dashed off remake - still evoking the 1960s pop references as detailed in this essay at Pushing Ahead of the Dame, but very different too. Oh if I were to quibble, some bits come in a split second late for my tastes, but all in all this preview single solidifies it: this will be an album to get.

My ears are not what they once were but I think they managed to tamp down some of the excessive high end from Bowie’s vocals, too.

Django216 likes this.
  3. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I think what they call the 7" version and the single version here are edits of the dance mix. The single version first appeared on the 2002 Best of Bowie compilation. Neither are authentic and that Australian promo is the only authentic edit (ie single version/edit) from the period and it has, as far as I am aware, never been re-released anywhere. Hence, I think it could/should have been included here somehow.

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I haven't heard it yet (stuck at work), but a friend in the UK sent me an instant message comparing its sound to XTC.... :pineapple:

theMess likes this.
  5. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

The 2018 NLMD intrigues me.... and the tracklisting for Re:Call 4 is surprisingly good.

But I can't really justify buying this. My RL of LD sounds awesome and cost me all of $5. (In fairness Side 2 is still unplayed.) Tonight and NLMD aren't in my collection for a reason, and I was only able to watch 30 minutes of the Glass Spider show on VH1 years ago before turning it off. (The audio minus visuals might be an improvement tho.)

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’ve been a Bowie fan for 20+ years. I always thought he sang some of the lead vocals on “Chilly Down,” just with a variety of vocal effects.

Gentlemen, I’ve been living a lie. Thank you for pointing me to the truth.

jamesc likes this.
  7. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I think Cracked Actor is as close as we're gonna get with a 'soul tour' document. After all, the tour wasn't officially called the 'soul tour,' was essentially just the next leg of the Diamond Dogs tour and Bowie unexpectedly changed the set to include just a handful of soul-tinged tunes so I doubt there's any official professional live recordings ever made from that short of a period.

My dad's buddy has a funny story about the soul tour though. He loved the hard-rocking Bowie of the earlier years like "Suffragette City" and the like, so he got tickets to see Bowie in Cleveland in late '74. He was sorely ticked off when he heard Bowie pull out the more R&B/soul-inspired arrangements of tunes so he kicked over row after row after row of folding chairs. I believe he was a bit 'refreshed' and/or had his senses 'enhanced,' shall we say, but every single time someone brings up Bowie in a conversation, he'll ALWAYS bring up that story. Great story though. He said he's slowly come around to like the Young Americans material. Unfortunately not many people say the same about the Glass Spider tour and the Never Let Me Down material.

8. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

The completist in me will make this purchase even though most of this doesn’t interest me in the slightest.

9. CBackley

I have to say, I never cared much for Never Let Me Down until I got a nice minty original pressing. Ever since then, I’ve listened to it more than any one person should. I’ve grown to love that album.

I’m excited for this box set. The completist in me is very upset I didn’t buy the first two box sets, instead opting to get the LPs separately.

10. DocShipe

DocShipe Forum Resident

Have to say I’m super excited for this one. Tonight is one of the few Bowie records I don’t have, and I recently rediscovered NLMD—so much better than I remembered it.

DiabloG, theMess and CBackley like this.
  11. Colinjpush

Let us bow our heads in remembrance:

"Too Dizzy"
    1987 - 1987

...or maybe not

12. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

So from what I can tell, the Serious Moonlight album is the same as the DVD, but with "Modern Love" added. The other encores are MIA ("Stay", "Star"). I wonder how much, if at all, this mix will differ from what's on the DVD? I hope they had the decency to restore the intro to "Station to Station", at least.

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

By the way, this thread reminds me of the babe.

14. CBackley

What babe?

15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The babe with the power.

Runicen, gojikranz, DHamilton and 3 others like this.
  16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Was the Glass Spider live album released somewhere before? They describe Serious Moonlight as unreleased but not that.

17. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

How could they include the RL mastering in the box? The metal parts are long gone.

18. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

It was a completely different show in philly from the tower theater show (This was about november, david live tower was july)
    There was no stage set to speak of
    all white floor with red lightning bolt
    mike garson band opened show with luther handling most of the vocals
    ended with memory of a free festival, bowie entered on an upstage deck behind them,
    gouster suit with a cane, like on dick caveat
    he finished the song then started his set

songs were partially from david live but included a "LOT" of the unreleased young americans,
    including i think foot stomping, cause fame had not yet been recorded.

I don't know if it would be great, but is defiantly a missing link

TonyCzar and Colinjpush like this.
  19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yeah, it was added as a 2CD set with the DVD reissue of the 'Glass Spider' videocassette/laserdisc.

[​IMG]

20. Colinjpush

The date on the press release says 19th July 2018, which is tomorrow (where I'm at). I wonder if they prematurely announced it. Pre-orders will probably be up tomorrow. I'm jumping as soon as I see 'em too

21. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I was hoping for some unreleased Stevie Ray Vaughan stuff in this set. I haven't had a chance to look at this in detail yet.

jimhb likes this.
  22. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Do we know if any of the shows were recorded?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It's weird. Despite being the least appealing studio album trio of his career, this is perhaps the most appealing box set, just due to the lack of unnecessary cost-inflating duplication. Although all the edits cluttering up the ReCall set are disappointing...I think they'd be much stronger listens if they just contained non-album tracks or fully alternate recordings/remixes.

Sean and CBackley like this.
  24. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I have a soft spot for Tonight, I remember the videos for Let’s Dance on MTV On first airing.

Sign me up.

davers, theMess, Ken.e. and 4 others like this.
  25. APhillyKid

APhillyKid Forum Resident

yeah thats what i was asking hard to believe with everything that was saved,
    nothing was saved from this as he was very into it at the time

ad180 likes this.