David Bowie LP Blackstar (clear vinyl) $33

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Tjazz, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store) Thread Starter

2. CBS CLASH 3

CBS CLASH 3 Forum Resident

I happened to order this yesterday from BN online. I usually don't go for the colored vinyl stuff, but it was only a couple of bucks more so I went for it.

Today Discogs has it going for $350 and some goofs on eBay have it at $500! Crazy.

It's a really good collection, by the way. Watching the videos today was fairly amazing. It's so obvious that they are goodbyes. What an artist.

mikeyt likes this.
  3. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I reserved this at three different stores that indicated it was in stock when I made the reservation. I later got e-mails saying the LP could not be found.

4. Big-Faced-Child

Big-Faced-Child Forum Resident

I had it paid for on pre-order from JB Hi-Fi in Australia. I just received an email telling me:
    "Due to the overwhelming demand for this release after the passing of David Bowie, we have received an unprecedented influx of orders for this product.
    We have been working with the supplier to try and order more stock in for this product, however have learned today that unfortunately the product cannot be supplied due to limited production quantities available that are outside our control."

They are now appearing on ebay at over $500. I feel cheated, life goes on.

5. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Same here. Interesting that all these copies are going missing. :confused:

6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah i learned my lesson the hard way thinking i could go into a B&N and actually purchase something on day of release that's an "exclusive". oh well i ordered online.

7. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

Ditto. 5 stores for me.

8. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

This has to be some of the worse marketing and promotion for a new effort from a major artist. I did obtain a clear copy after going to various counties in northern ca. as I was out and about for other business. On friday morning (Release date) and by saturday night all of the 7 stores I visited in the bay area either didn't recieve any copies or the one single copy they recieved was sold earlier. After Sunday you could hardly find a CD or LP copy anywhere and pretty soon they will be everywhere. Even the 4 stores that listed this as In stock (on line) had no physical copies in the store. B&N should be ashaimed of how this was distributed.

9. Musicman1257

Musicman1257 Well-Known Member

I agree this was poor distribution on the part of Barnes and Noble. Although, no one knew he was sick and that he would pass only a few days after its release. There are true collectors (like everyone here on this forum) that genuinely care about the artists' work and then there are those who only want to make a quick buck hence the ridiculous prices on eBay. My local store told me they only had 2 copies to begin with and that was before his death. And now even their main warehouse is completely sold out. I called today and did a prepaid order for the regular lp, which is still selling for high prices. Apparently one of their warehouses in Kentucky had 20 copies of the regular version. I'll hold onto it until the clear one becomes available again. This unfortunately is a supply and demand thing because everyone wants one now.

mikeyt likes this.
  10. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Do we know that more clear ones will be available later? At any rate, I am sure anybody can get a black one for regular price if they have a little patience. I just received this email today from my local record store:

For everyone looking for Bowie's Blackstar record, we have more coming soon, and once this first pressing sells out there will be more soon after. Please don't pay the extortionate prices people are asking on ebay and the like, Blackstar will be around for a very long time. In the meantime, we have more of the classic albums coming in on both vinyl and CD, and we're hoping for more Blackstar by the weekend.

11. Musicman1257

I don't think anyone really knows for sure if the clear ones will be back. If they are smart, they will realize how high in demand they are and get more pressed and released ASAP even if it's only to order online and not in stores.

mikeyt likes this.
  12. Shmockolovitch

Shmockolovitch Well-Known Member

Hmmm..i ordered it Sunday night based on info gleaned off this here forum about the unfortunate poor-DR over compressed digital versions...JBHifi have charged me but i got no apology email...maybe i got lucky?

13. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

I went to BN on Sunday and they didn't have any CDs or LPs and I was told by a clerk that they had only received a few copies of each to begin with and a new shipment of CDs will be in on Tuesday and more 'clear' BS should come in on Thursday (today). I checked and my local store now shows the CD as 'In Stock' so perhaps more LP's will show up today. I ordered a copy (LP) on Sunday and the order page says it will be delivered by Friday though its still 'Processing'... we'll see but the clerk seemed confident that BN has plenty of copies warehoused and more 'clear' LP's will become available.

My guess is that its hard to gauge sales of a Bowie release so individual stores only ordered a handful of the new album so they wouldn't have to send any back to the warehouse if interest was tepid. Obviously, they had no idea how this week would play out and have ordered more to satisfy demand... patience.

14. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Yesterday my local FYE had a dozen or more of the black ones for $30.00.

15. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store) Thread Starter

I assume if someone calls the store and has a clerk HOLD the LP, it beats the system. The LP looks like it's still available for sale, but it's been taken off the shelf. All my RESERVATIONS fell thru too.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's not Barnes and Noble's fault. They planned for the expected demand. They did not plan that Bowie would die over the weekend that the album was released and that every horder and eBay flipper on the planet would be trying to buy every copy from every store for himself. If B&N had shipped the number of copies that you believe they should have, and Bowie had not died, then each store would be swimming in unsold vinyl copies of the album now.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  17. oddsbodkins

More of the black vinyl versions are starting to show up at your LRS. Clear version would've been nice but I wanted to assure myself of getting a first pressing of something.

18. Musicman1257

I agree wholeheartedly that this album (clear or not) would be more widely available (at least on their website if not the stores) had he not passed away. Not bad mouthing BN. I have always liked them. But 2 of my local stores still show the clear vinyl in stock even though it's not the case. And each of the 4 stores I talked to gave me different answers as to whether this will be back in stock or not. I do blame them for not keeping everyone updated as to whether they will be available again.

19. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

It ain't going to be in stock again, unless there's a "Round Two Due To Overwhelming Demand".

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  20. oddsbodkins

Picked up a copy and it has a large hairline scratch that doesn't affect play at all but is plainly visible if held at a certain angle. Of course, the store is sold out again so I can't exchange it. Whatever... I ain't selling it so I'm not worried about resale value. Still, that's kind of ****ty QC from Columbia.

21. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

:laugh: Sounds like a good reason to repress!

22. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Columbia isn't really to blame as they don't press the records, this was done at MPO.

23. oddsbodkins

Ah. MPO then!

24. Big-Faced-Child

Big-Faced-Child Forum Resident

Good luck, sounds hopeful. Although I smell a rat on behalf of JB HiFi.

A few unhappy people on their facebook page, makes for an interesting read. People who have received the same generic excuses and responses as me. I used Twitter for my whinging.

25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

spun my BN clear vinyl last night and while it was just a hair off-center, the whole package is pretty lavish and a nice piece of art. didn't sound too bad either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.