David Bowie - No Plan E.P. (Physical Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zephead2112, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

I carried out a search on this and although one thread made reference to the 'No Plan' digital EP, I couldn't find anything regarding the recently announced vinyl releases that are planned. As such, I thought I'd throw this out there for those who may be interested;

No Plan EP physical release due - David Bowie Official Blog

Aside from the standard black vinyl release and CD edition, there will be a limited edition 'made to order' die-cut white vinyl 12" accompanied by a very nice lithograph. This will be released on May the 26th and is available for pre-order from the David Bowie store;

No Plan - Limited Edition Die-Cut Vinyl and Lithograph | David Bowie Official Store

Not cheap but a nice item all the same.

Beaneydave likes this.
  2. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

3. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Thanks for the information

Peace and love✌

Zephead2112 likes this.
  4. Slightly off topic but can anyone evaluate the quality of the Blackstar album on vinyl? I have the CD already but I'm wondering if the LP sounds significantly better and if it's worth the additional cost?

5. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Yes to both.

Tim

6. Thanks! I note Amazon UK has it as "Import". Is this an inferior US pressing (Rainbow) and should I be looking for an EU copy (not currently available?)?

7. onlyconnect

It's a bit of a minefield. You want one with the hard transparent inner not the soft one that clings to the vinyl and may cause background noise.

Tim

8. Okay, I might have to pass this one up then. I'm not looking for unnecessary headaches and buying LP's is a crap-shoot anyway. AFAIK there is no easy way to identify which release is which. They all even share the same barcode signifier which is about as much use as a chocolate kettle.

Blackstar [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Are there any clues in the Amazon listing?

Thanks again!

9. Okay, I might have to pass this one up then. I'm not looking for unnecessary headaches and buying LP's is a crap-shoot anyway. AFAIK there is no easy way to identify which release is which. They all even share the same barcode signifier which is about as much use as a chocolate kettle.

Blackstar [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: Music

Are there any clues in the Amazon listing?

Thanks again!

10. onlyconnect

It's a bit of a minefield. You want one with the hard transparent inner not the soft one that clings to the vinyl and may cause background noise.

Tim

11. onlyconnect

I suggest you go to an actual shop :)

Tim

SteveM likes this.
  12. If only it was that easy! Firstly, there aren't many stores around but more importantly the LP will be sealed anyway and they all have exactly the same information on the outer sleeves so it won't be possible to determine either way. Why are the soft sleeves prone to causing noisy vinyl anyway?

13. onlyconnect

That was just my experience. I conjectured that the soft inner clung to the vinyl when the package was assembled causing a clouded effect. Returned for credit and bought a different one which is a lot better. Perfection is hard to find. However it still sounds a lot better than the CD.

Tim

14. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

The original 2015 pressing is the one with the hard transparent inner. The repress in 2016 has © 2016 ℗ 2015, 2016 ISO Records on the rear in the credits and the orig has © & ℗ 2015 ISO Records. So there is an external identifier.

David Bowie - ★ (Blackstar)

15. The one listed on Amazon has C 2016, P 2015.......presumably the repress then?

Is it guaranteed that the repress copies are a problem?

16. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

17. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Yep and yep

18. onlyconnect

No, there are some represses that are fine. And some represses have the hard transparent inner.

Tim

SteveM likes this.
  19. That's nearly £30 with shipping v £20 incl. from Amazon for the repress. Amazon will accept returns and make getting replacements easy, if necessary, so it's a no-brainer for me. I'm curious about the weight differences between the original and the repress. The new copy is 45g lighter overall in the seal. Where has the weight been lost?

Thanks, guys, for the help and input so far.

20. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

but for the sake of a tenner you get a sealed original :confused:

21. I'm not a collector - I want it to play so the seal gets removed either way. If the repress is just as good why pay extra £10? And if it isn't Amazon will replace it free of charge until I get a decent copy.

22. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If it helps, my daughter bought me the vinyl release listed on Amazon just last week; it's the one with the hard transparent inner and sounds great.

SteveM likes this.
  23. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Sorted! :agree:

24. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

So there are white and blue vinyl copies of No Plan but cannot see them as available in the UK. Is it a coincidence that this is being released on RSD 2017 too. The marketing blurb says only available in independent shops on 21/04 but is already sold out on pre-order, so if this is true, then no hope of getting it here apart from the run of the mill black vinyl. Why don't Parlophone make these things available in all territories.

25. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

There's a problem with this release. A number of complaints that copies of the 'No Plan EP' are stickered with being "Limited Edition Clear Vinyl" are just plain old black... (The copy I bought at RSD yesterday is labelled as such, but is BLACK).

Very disappointing.
    I didn't pay much for mine so I'm going to keep it.

Mine's printed with 'Made in the EU'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.