David Bowie Welcome To The Blackout performance thoughts RSD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Exactly. I love the idea of RSD, but making music hard to buy in the current industry climate is frustrating. I’d buy the Bowie in a second if I could easily and affordably get it.

Vaughan, pobbard and AlienRendel like this.
  2. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I think this may the 2nd post I've come across that does not give WTTB the edge compared to Stage. I wonder a few things: What are the audio systems these records are played through? Did the ppl comparing the releases do an A/B session? -- Headphones or Speakers? Finally, how many positive reviews are such because of the price, effort, and time they put in to obtain this RSD release?

Scott6 likes this.
  3. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

You shouldn't read my impression as exact science, it's more a rough indication after playing all versions I mentioned on speakers and then trying a few tracks from four sources in succession. Most others may not have the Stage version on RCA cd or the multichannel DVD, so I'm curious what their conclusions are.

4. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

I have the Stage DVD, and the Ryko CD, but not the RCA CD. I just compared TVC15. Of the three, the DVD sounds the best in hi-fi terms but I much prefer the performance on WTTB.

Tim

5. Totti is god

Totti is god Forum Resident

And number of pressing lp are 20000

6. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

But the opposite was true a year ago.

7. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Yes please, although I'm assuming we'll hear of a CD release very soon. Last year, Cracked Actor came on on vinyl for RSD with the CD release announced in mid-May for a June release.

Curveboy likes this.
  8. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I love my copy. The show is great and the pressing is fantastic. I hope they release the Stevie Ray Vaughn/ Bowie Serious Moonlight tour rehearsals next RSD.

9. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I think there is every chance that the next box set will select a live album from Serious Moonlight tour or Glass Spider tour and the other will be a RSD release.
    I wonder if we will get a Sound + Vision tour release or 50th birthday show at any point.
    Both have RSD written all over them.

10. spewey

spewey Senior Member

This is exactly my experience with it too :righton::righton::righton:

Michael Rose and brownsound2112 like this.
  11. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I hated all those remasters, they all sounded like a pillow was on my speakers. Even the Ziggy album had muffed sound to it compared to my original pressing. Worst remasters.

12. Totti is god

Cracked Actor was/still is fine live lp’s

alx7, spewey and Michael Rose like this.
  13. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I have only listened to it once, so too early to compare it to Stage, but it has the additional Sound And Vision (the only time he played it live on this tour), and Rebel Rebel. Are those additions enough to top Stage? Not sure, but the version of “Heroes” is the best I have heard live from this era, and I’m usually not a big fan of it live.

Dmdstrhalo and Michael Rose like this.
  14. Michael Rose

My favorite live version of 'Heroes' is the David Bowie + Queen performance from the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert in 1992. The instrumentation is very full/ robust especially the rhythm section.

15. Totti is god

Heroes with Mick fakin Ronson

madgeman and Michael Rose like this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Pretty positive these exclusive RSD live albums will continue.

By the way, "Welcome To The Blackout" would be an excellent opportunity to read Sean Mayes book "We Can Be Heroes - Life on Tour with David Bowie". It's basically an account of that very tour and it's really entertaining.

17. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I agree, funnily enough I finished reading that a couple of weeks ago and today have finished Viscontis biography.
    I’d recommend both.

Neonbeam likes this.
  18. Totti is god

WttB is nuber one in UK
    Aldin silver 45 is second
    Pink floyd piper mono 3th
    Aracde Fire 4th
    Bowie now 5th

Bananas&blow and onlyconnect like this.
  19. Michael Rose

I found a copy of WTTB at my LRS TODAY! So far, I'm through side 4. Anyone else hearing IGD in "Suffragette City"? Other than that it is quite the show.

20. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Please be careful with the acronyms there: it creates ‘insiders’ (those who can decipher the acronym) and ‘outsiders’ (those who can’t). Not very democratic. WTTB, that’s OK because I’ve read the thread, but LRS? IGD?

Spinone, TwiceFan, thgord and 4 others like this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That "IGD" thing threw me off as well. First thought: "WTF?! Is IG (GY) on this recording? Cool!" But then it occurred that he was probably speaking of innergroovedistortion:righton:

Solace likes this.
  22. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Inner-Groove Distortion, but of course. Silly me. TGFT*, I was feeling distinctly OOTL**!

*Thank Goodness For That
    **Out Of The Loop

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I remember reading about that as a kid.

Is this release an RSD first? Will rest of us be able to get this later in the year?

24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Probably not on vinyl, but streaming, download and CD yes

JeffMo likes this.
  25. mono.edition

mono.edition Forum Resident

I found out that in Hong Kong the regular price for WTTB was around USD36.00, which was almost same as Mono Piper. I think it’s a very great deal but I couldn’t find a copy in any local shops. I wanted it so badly so I ended up ordering in Amazon and it was around USD66.00 with shopping. Yesterday I called HMV and the guy told me that WTTB was sold out in all HMVs. This afternoon I thought I should call another HMV to give one more try. The lady said it was sold out in where she was and was able to find me a copy in other shop! I finally paid USD38 for me and WTTB makes my day!

JeffMo, onlyconnect and Michael Rose like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.