David Bowie Welcome To The Blackout performance thoughts RSD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

Just ordered this off Discogs cheaper than my local record store on RSD. Anybody have the 'Last Night At Earls Court' vinyl...Is this the same recording?

This was my first Bowie concert so love this period and own 'Stage' in Black, Yellow, Blue vinyl and the Blue Red and Green versions of Last 'Night At Earls Court', also just bought the 2017 3 disc version of Stage.

2. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

It will almost certainly be released on CD later in the year.

pobbard and JeffMo like this.
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

FWIW, I believe US suggested retail price for Blackout was $49.98. Piper was less than half of that at $22.98.

The disparity in both distribution and retail price throughout the world is quite curious. I can’t imagine it’s random, but I haven’t discerned any logical pattern to it either. But - as is usually case - it somehow probably boils down to lawyers, money, and egos.

4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

RSD 2017 Springsteen's Hammersmith 4LP was cheaper than Bowie's Cracked Actor 2LP. Must be Parlophone's Dead Bowie's Society bonus, we are privileged to pay.

5. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I paid £32 each for Blackout and Piper. Certainly no logic to the pricing, considering Blackout is a triple, and Piper is a single album.

6. usethefourth

usethefourth Well-Known Member

Going to agree with the comments that Bowie seems looser on here than on Stage. I'm guessing this partially has to do with he knew Stage was going to be released at the time. Question for people who got this - do you like and keep using those polylined Paper sleeves that come with these new Bowie release or do you usually replace with a Mofi/Disckeeper?

alx7 and Dmdstrhalo like this.
  7. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I am very fond of this release. It is A LOT better than Stage. The band plays tighter, Bowie are more 'loose' and there is more nerve to be found in the songs. Stage is in this light marred by the fact that the shows on that album was recorded to be released as an album and therefore the musicians were more aware of themselves and disciplined. Here they cut it loose.

C6H12O6, Dmdstrhalo and usethefourth like this.
  8. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Does an insider on the forum know if WTTBO will be released on cd? It's getting rave reviews and while I have the bootleg, this seems like a must have purchase.

9. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Paid $50 here for WTTB

10. Michael Rose

Anyone else hearing inner grove distortion in "Suffragette City"?

(AT-LP 120 with stock 95e)

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Much as I love this Bowie period on record, the live recordings just don't do anything for me. In fact I only really like the Ziggy and Reeves Gabrels era concert recordings come to think of it.
    However, I would love a high quality concert DVD (video) of a 78 gig.

12. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Ronson, Heydon and Gabrels were Bowie's best rock guitarists in a live setting. Slick, Belew and Frampton sounded too weedy on stage, IMO.

13. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Gerry Leonard was/is pretty solid on stage, both doing soundscapes and lead.

14. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

The soundscape stuff is fine but he's not edgy enough as a lead guitarist for my liking. I do like his Pablo Picasso solo and the textures on live Heathen [song].

Anyway, back to WTTB. I've listened to it more than Cracked Actor already! I like all the instrumentals, 5Years/Soul Love/Star, Alabama, STS.

I really don't like the arrangements of Rebel Rebel ['03-'04 was my fav], Genie [1997 was as good as it got], Ziggy [Glasto was tops] and Stay was much nicer in '76.

I'm glad we have both but I wouldn't be without the original Stage and 2005 remix. The 2017 Stage adds nothing of interest for me.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  15. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

My thoughts ... I'm enjoying WTTB a lot, but I prefer the 3 disc set of Stage from the last box set to it and if I'm comparing this WTTB RSD release to last year's Cracked Actor RSD release I prefer Cracked Actor to WTTB.

hodgo likes this.
  16. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I managed to snag a very reasonably priced copy as my first ever purchase from Discogs which finally arrived on Friday. So far I've played it three times and it keeps getting better with every listen. I never did like the original "Stage" album which I thought was a flat and lifeless performance, this set couldn't be more different, it gleams with energy with both Bowie and his band giving their all, it's a fabulous performance.

The vinyl is flawless, not a mark to be seen and not a single pop or click to be heard, all new vinyl should be pressed this well.

17. Zumbi

Zumbi Senior Member

I am listening to this record right now for the first time. I am on side 3, and so far it sounds REALLY good! No pops or anything, really good pressed record!

alx7 and pobbard like this.
  18. matthew2600

matthew2600 Forum Resident

This is where I'm at but figured people would get mad if I said it during all the praise. Robert Fripp would have made this a lot better imho.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  19. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

It's being released on CD on June 29, according to various postings today on Facebook.

mdm08033, Curveboy, pobbard and 2 others like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Ugh, don't tempt me with this release. Too expensive for me.

22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

How does it compare to Stage?

23. ThomasL

ThomasL Forum Resident

No igd here (Denon dl-103)

24. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

25. Michael Rose

cool, thanks. I'll try cleaning the disc again.

ThomasL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.