David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Fantastic Voyage (1977-1982):

Low
    Heroes
    Stage (2CD, 2LP)
    Stage (Tony Visconti remix, 2CD, 3LP)
    Lodger
    Lodger (Tony Visconti remix)
    Scary Monsters
    In Bertold Brecht's Baal
    Re:call 3 (2CD, 2LP)

Total: 12 CD, 13 LP

;)

2. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

There's no mention of the Nassau gig being remastered in the blurb. :( Which is a terrible shame and a hugely wasted opportunity if that's the case. It's a wonderful gig, but no one has a good word to say about the current master of it.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  3. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Looks crap. Too much filler. Shame

Tim Bucknall and Fred68 like this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don't like the Album title.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think EMI have not dealt with Bowie's catalogue since around the time they were acquired by UMG. Bowie has been on Parlophone since then. So why would this conversation be taking place in 2015?

Also, why does your information mean Bowie could not have changed his mind?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  6. Evidently not, as they are saying that everything through 2016 was approved before Bowie passed. I'm thinking, though, what does it matter?

I know some here have participated in Prince threads, and not very long from now the floodgates will be opened with Prince material that he certainly didn't want released.

Maybe it's the same with Bowie, but the reality is, once you're gone you're gone. Fans want more. I want Bowie to live on in his music. That's why I never really get the fan outcry of "exploitive" releases. I'm not saying that's you, but just in general.

Unless they are scraping the bottom of the barrel type releases and/or there are posthumous overdubs, I say being it on. Even the Hendrix "new" albums, 46 years later, sell very well, with what some might consider barrel scraping. Oh well!

Our lives go on until they don't. There lives went on until they didn't. Let's have a little fun before we die.

7. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Nigel Reeve is called Mr EMI by Jeff Rougvie because that's where he came from, with the Bowie albums, and the EMI UK catalogue (minus Beatles) was bought by Warners, not UMG. Everything catalogue on Warner's newly created Parlo label is EMI UK product, with many of the staff such as Mr EMI still there.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  8. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

if you look again at both volumes of Re:Call, only tracks released on singles are included. there are omissions, presumably due to repetition (e.g. additional official Space Oddity, Memory of a Free Festival and TVC15 edits), but tracks like the alternative Supermen don't fit within the current remit of the boxes. these tracks will undoubtedly appear on future deluxe editions of their appropriate albums.

Tim Bucknall and Billy Budapest like this.
  9. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

It makes sense, and that would explain the absence of the 1972 released "The Supermen".
    But it's a lousy decision and I don't see any good reason behind it. Why would a companion compilation contains only tracks released on singles ?
    And is it only 7'' singles ? Does that mean that when we'll arrive at the 80s and 90s albums, they won't be any 12'' material at all on Re:Call ?
    And what about "Volare" or other soundtrack exclusive tracks (She can do that, I'm afraid of the animals, the great alternate version of "Bring me the disco king",etc....) ? They won't be included because they weren't on singles in the first place ?

Questions that will not be answered before a long time, I think.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  10. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Do you have any idea when the Parlophone deal expires and a new deal for the archive material can replace it? Coco isn't getting any younger ... and well neither are 70's fans.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  11. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Yup, it was extended for five years from the end of 2012, at a rate of £1 million per year plus royalties.

12. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

The Phil Collins Years (1983-1987)

Let's Dance
    Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture (2LP)
    Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture (2CD, 3LP)
    Tonight
    Labyrinth
    Never Let Me Down
    Re:call 4 (2CD, 3LP)

Tim Bucknall and NumberEight like this.
  13. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Ziggy? You're kidding right?

Drop that and add the Glass Spider live album, and a new Serious Moonlight tour live album, and you'd be closer to the mark.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  14. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

(1) I think Ziggy Stardust The Motion Picture is a special case, because the DVD mix matches the CD mix. Iso is under no obligations to release anything they don't want to. Maybe Bowie didn't like the original ZSTMP mix and decided to consign it to the dustbin of history.
    (2) You can argue that reordering and adding to David Live makes it a different release than the original. There, I just did.
    (3) Sure, some people will feel this is unnecessary duplication. I think it's filler, too, but then I bought The Beatles U.S. Albums, so my judgment is kind of clouded.

I think the intention was always to make them annual affairs, but that's just speculation on my part. Bowie's death changed some of the creative decisions, obviously, but we have absolutely no idea how it worked or works. His inner circle were 100% airtight when it came to the The Next Day and Blackstar releases, after all. The inadvertent slip of a photographer's lips was the only indication we had that a new Bowie Box would be coming out this year. As with Neil Young and The Beatles, so with David Bowie.

Tim Bucknall and Solace like this.
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

There are rumours that Low was remixed in 5.1 by Visconti, but never released.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  16. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

As with the other material, Ziggy Stardust The Motion Picture has already been released, and follows the rule to release according to recording chronology.

17. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Let's Dance
    Serious Moonlight
    Tonight
    Labyrinth
    Never Let Me Down
    Glass Spider
    Re:call 4 (2CD, 3LP)

There you go. ;)

18. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I had a proper look at its details this morning and realised I don't need or want it at all. Ho hum.

19. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

how would you have done the box differently? or even the catalogue whole.

20. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

Subscribed to keep track of this.

21. edgwareman

edgwareman Forum Resident

Does anybody think that they might just add Let's Dance to the 1977-?? Box (making it 1977-1983) and leave it at that for the box sets? There would be considerably less demand for anything post 1983 imho and judging from the suggestions people are posting here a 1984- ?? box would look distinctly underwhelming!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Tim Bucknall and bob60 like this.
  22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Well, I do. If the track Who Can I Be Now had been released in 1975 (and, as a result, was a familiar title to most Bowie fans) it'd be the perfect title for the compilation. Since it wasn't, the title is just short of perfect.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

This box set looks distinctly underwhelming.

24. edgwareman

edgwareman Forum Resident

But still a LOT better than any of the post 1983 suggestions.

25. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Diamond Dogs original West German RCA Master
    Hunger City Tour DVD 1974 featuring Jules Fisher set
    David Live Visconti Remix flat mastered
    Young Americans original RCA Master
    Live At Capital Centre Philly Soul tour CD
    Cracked Actor DVD
    Low Original RCA Master
    Heroes Original RCA Master
    Lodger Visconti Remix
    Stage added tracks flat master
    Scary Monsters RCA Master

Tim Bucknall, Robert C and Solace like this.