David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

haha.

I could correct it, but i'll leave it for entertainment purposes.

mdm08033 likes this.
  2. eastvillage

eastvillage Member

No, and it is clear from my correspondence with HDTracks that they are fed up with this whole issue and have no intention of pressing Parlophone to fix it.

3. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Unless you mean to imply that your set contains a copy of the reel-to-reel Original Analogue Master (hint: sarcasm), then, yes, the 2010 version taken from that analogue master is technically and factually a remaster.

Casagrande, Marc 74 and karmaman like this.
  4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yours didn't come with 2-inch tape? How sad for you....

crispi likes this.
  5. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

overall, i like what i'm hearing thus far. diamond dogs is fantastic. i think the version of 'right' is an interesting take - particularly with phasing on the vocals.

have to listen to 'stay' on the remix version is sts. the original sounds phenomenal.

6. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

It was an unspoken assumption. Also, I'm just reading the labels.

7. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Are you simply referring to the ryko bonus tracks or are you sliding to something more interesting?

8. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Who Can I Be Now has entered the UK album charts at 21.

That's a substantial improvement on the Five Years box, which checked in at 45.

It also means Bowie has been a presence on the top 40 album charts every month of 2016 - Best of Bowie was still hanging around until last week of August.

9. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

As we are talking about the STS 2010 Analogue Master: Comparing the commercially available CD with the promo CDr the latter had different(lower)peak levels.

STS 2010 Analogue Master (CD)
    98.5/91.9/89.5/90.8/86.6/88.0

STS 2010 Analogue Master (CDr)
    80.9/75.5/73.5/74.6/71.2/72.3

Guess it's just level shifted but anyway maybe it's interesting for some of you.

--

And now it's time to put the headphones on and listen to the 2016 Young Americans CD for the first time.

mdm08033 likes this.
  10. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Mine came with the 2" tape! 0oooops! Sorry that's my Moon Shaped Pool Box!:laugh:

11. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Where in the U.S.?

12. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Been listening to this on Apple Music and am about convinced I do in fact need to pick up the LP box, as I'm actually enjoying what I've heard of the live albums, even if 2 versions of David Live is overkill.

Where's the cheapest the vinyl box is going for now?

13. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Brick and mortar places around me have it for $225-$235

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Sorry, but I think you are incorrect. The 2010 appearance of the original analogue master had to be mastered for the DVD release. It is in effect a "remastered" album, and at a new bit rate of 24/96kHz.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You are fine giving up everything physical with your new purchases? I can't imagine spending the money they are asking and not getting books, and boxes, and resalable "investment properties." But that's just me and the way my brain is wired.

crispi likes this.
  16. senseabove

I support my local brick and mortars with plenty of used record buying, and none of them take kindly to new exchanges/returns, unfortunately.

It's looking like I can get 20% off at PopMarket with Welcome20, bringing it down to $200 shipped/tax free, so that's winning right now...

17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I have a very specific "political agenda" which I support with my dollars (they're called "dollar votes").

I'm pro-Tidal.

I'm anti-DRM.

I'm pro-lossless.

I'm pro-record-store-owner-who-sweats-as-he-breaks-open-a-a-box-to-keep-customers-coming back. (So $35 for a CD-sized book over ebay? Doesn't make me lose any sleep. There's no downside. He'll make money. Someone will nab a "Gouster" CD. It's all good.)

(IMHO!!!) 16-bit has worn out its welcome.

I'm 53. I know how to burn a disc.

Yes I'm pro-physical inventory retail. Yes I'm pro-record store. But ... Philadelphia Record Exchange is gone. 'aka music' is gone. (This one HURTS).

We all lead our own journeys, I assure you that I am not out to leave a smoldering crater where every music store used to be,

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  18. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Ok, get this, I've just had a tip off from an ultra impeccable source that the title for the third box has already been chosen, and it's borrowed from a track title that has two words and is from an album that begins with the letters LO....

I'm pretty thrilled, actually. Any guesses? :D

vonwegen and TeddyB like this.
  19. MultiMan

MultiMan Forum Resident

Diamond Dogs was one of my earliest LP purchases back in the day (was 9). At that age I was blown away on so many levels. Now, 42 years later I'm listening to the 2016 version and as I reflect a bit more on the arrangements and complexity of the music, it's clearer than ever to me what a musical genius he was. What an incredible album, in the sea of masterpieces he managed to create in the '70s. So sad he didn't get to stay with us a bit longer. :cry:

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'll go with Art Decade for $1 Million. :edthumbs:

athensdrums, OldSoul, ashlee5 and 2 others like this.
  21. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Fantastic Voyage.

mikaal, NightGoatToCairo and scobb like this.
  22. senseabove

Fantastic Voyage?

23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Huh. Never knew Bowie covered Lord Screamin' Sutch.

24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

BREAKING GLASS!!!!!

25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I know...Move On!