David Byrne tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by petzi, Jun 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petzi

petzi Forum Resident Thread Starter

I went to a David Byrne concert in Frankfurt last night, it was great. Go see it if you can. I had a really good time. They played not only solo material, but also several Talking Heads "standards"; from time to time I felt as if I were in that "Stop Making Sense" concert. In the beginning, only David on guitar, bass, drums and percussion were on stage. It was very rhythmic and the two drummers whacked their drums pretty hard. But I thought in the long run, this would be a little dry sounding. I thought the synthesizers were missing. Well, given that synthesizers are utilized to play mostly string-like sounds anyway, Byrne must have thought, why not replace this with a real string orchestra, and so after the fourth song or so, the six piece string orchestra entered the stage and played for the rest of the concert. Imagine the synthesizer part on "Life During Wartime" or "This Must be the Place" being played by a string orchestra. They played for two hours, and I talked to the bass player after the show, he said they would have played a few more songs, but they were completely exhausted. It was very hot in Frankfurt yesterday, about 35 deg. Celsius.

Here are some more European tour dates:

19-Jun-02 GRONINGEN Oosterport
    20-Jun-02 TILBURG 030
    22-Jun-02 BRUSSELS Ancienne Belgique
    25-Jun-02 WOLVERHAMPTON Wulfrun
    26-Jun-02 DUBLIN Ambassador Theatre
    28-Jun-02 GLASGOW Barrowlands
    29-Jun-02 NEWCASTLE Opera House
    1-Jul-02 MANCHESTER Academy
    2-Jul-02 CAMBRIDGE Corn Exchange
    3-Jul-02 LONDON Empire
    6-jul-02 BRACKNELL Out There Festival