David Cassidy, RIP.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I am now listening to a YT vinyl rip of his 1973 LP " Dreams Are Nothin' More Than Wishes ", which reached #1 on the Albion LP charts ~ and didn't Billboard-chart in the USA at all!:confused::wantsome:
    Did " the biz " get mad at hie after that " pubic-hair shot " Rolling Stone story (which I hunted down, mebbe a a coupla years later, in my local library back in the day:ed:)? It would appear that his agent found a loophole in his contract that let him get out at four years, not five...TPF had almost reached the " magic 100 episodes " mark anyway, by the end of the 1973 season...but perhaps " the biz " got mad at him? How did he stand up for himself, J99? Piz, thank you, I'd hunted down " Night " already...the additional updating-to-the-70s lyrics and country-rock/mellow feel don't do much for me, based on one hearing on my phone.
    He really did have LOTS! of Brit hits (Though the Partridges had less...How widely was the show shown in Blighty then? With, LITERALLY, only three TV stations in the U.K. then...:confused:) - even the RCA albums (Presumably he got a big advance for 'em?:D) gave forth " mopping up " Top 20 hits in the Mother Country.

2. zen

zen Senior Member

R.I.P. David

3. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...AAAaanndd.........Here's a little side of the Seventies they DIDN'T tell you about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;):p But the little boys understood:)!
    GCD :: Issue :: Spoof #3

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

This is sad. In the UK I'd seen a couple of episodes of the TV show on very late night TV in the 80s and I used to think David Cassidy was a bit of a joke - until I got a set of Partridge Family CDs and binge listened to them. That lad could sing! I bet the producers rubbed their hands together when they heard that not only was he an actor and a heart-throb but he also had a great voice. My 'jams' are Echo Valley 2-6809 and Morning Rider on The Road in particular.

R.I.P.

5. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Yeah, they really dropped the ball on that one.

Darryl

6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

He was part of our weekly television viewing ritual when I was growing up. He was a teenage heartthrob but he also had a lot of talent. In some way his story is tragic but he seemed to persevere and he brought a lot of joy to his fans. I hope he’s found peace.

7. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Saw that Brian Wilson said his condolences and said he almost wrote some music with him back in the early 70s. R.I.P. MR. Cassidy, I watched the Partridge family after the Brady Bunch when both were in syndication in the late 70s great memories when I was 4

8. stephenlee

stephenlee Forum Resident

Almost?

"Cruise To Harlem" -- written by Cassidy, Wilson and Gerry Beckley (of America) -- was released on Cassidy's 1977 album, Gettin' It In The Street.

MikaelaArsenault and scotpagel like this.
  9. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

On Brian's FB page he says: "I’m very sad to hear about David Cassidy. There were times in the mid-1970s when he would come over to my house and we even started writing a song together. He was a very talented and nice person. Love & Mercy to David and his family."

10. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Yeah, I meant wrote some songs

MikaelaArsenault and stephenlee like this.
  11. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

This is what I'm talkin' about:

12. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

thgord, Paulette, oldturkey and 3 others like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Gorgeous Beach Boys backing vocals.
    Great arrangement( makes it on par with McCartney's other tune Maybe I'm Amazed).

David had his own uk Monthly Mag ala Beatles monthly.

There was also the great RS cover/interview.

14. Joe90

Joe90 Forum Resident

Me too.

The scene where he's running along a beach screaming "Amputation!" has stayed with me all these years.

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

His vocation gave him plenty of chances to "rock out"...just not enough momentum for him to surpass wiggling in bell-bottom corduroys in the Flower-Power illusion that was keeping people from taking him seriously. I hope he was also thankful every day of his life, that he could still derive a lot of staisfaction from that status he had. I hope he was fullfilled. That early stardom still brought him so many opportunities to explore his other talents. Having your face on 16 Magazine doesn't usually guarantee ya "the cover of the Rolling Stone"...sometimes ya just gotta be patient, and be honored to get the cover of AARP.

16. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I always thought David would have been a natural to join the Beach Boys at some point. So sad, it's like his career was dotted with a lot of could have beens and business snafus.

MikaelaArsenault and marmalade like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Cassidy's version of I Write The Songs was a UK hit. It was a double A-side with Get It Up For Love. I seem to remember some radio stations not playing the latter as they thought it was 'rude'.:D

He returned to the UK charts a decade later with the Alan Tarney produced Romance album. The lead single, The Last Kiss, was a top 10 hit. Perhaps helped along by George Michael being featured on background vocals.

chaz, bob60, qJulia and 1 other person like this.
  18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Very good record, too.

RIP, David.

19. Grant

Didn't his father Jack Cassidy die of complications from alcoholism?

20. Grant

I thought it was great that he was always upbeat about The Partridge Family legacy, even trying to encourage Susan Dey to join in the nostalgia.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but has there been any statements from his surviving former co-stars? I'll bet Danny must be devastated.

21. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...As I said, as a TV show, The Partridge Family was more sucessfull than The Monkerd, running four years and 96 rerunnable episodes with an arguably wider mass-TV appeal, as opposed to 2 and 58 for Davy & Co...

22. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

just watched a doc on David and it had Alice Cooper talking about their friendship and golfing:)
    funny how in the UK he hit just as it was going over the crest here in the US.
    I'm also surprised at given how big it was in the US the UK didn't try to get syndication but then again 3 channels and they enjoyed doing their own programs.
    On David's voice for a minute, I think his pitch is really good, nice vibrato and legato and a rather enchanting tenor tone that it's not hard to see why he appealed.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Tanx and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

His father Jack died in a house fire.

Grant and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I was really sad to hear about this, but it was expected. Cassidy was a big part of my life in the early 70s - if you went into my sister's room you would be confronted by David's face the size of a small car gazing at you with bedroom eyes. He really was a phenomenon in the UK to young women and girls. Many times I wished I was him - he had everything. I can't really compare him to the boy band teen idols of these days because they just don't seem to have anything special. Aside from his looks, his voice was so powerful and he seemed to be able to do anything with it.

I don't know if he was driven to drink because of the fame and pressure or because of his mother's illness, but he must have had a hard time. I saw that YT video where he talks about his mother's dementia and it must have been awful knowing it was happening to him. RIP. The 1970s keep having the real bits chipped off - all we'll be left with soon is the records.

My favourite track of his is the Beach Boys cover Darlin' (the original album version) which really shows the power and smokey soul in his voice. The vocal is fantastic. If you buy the Greatest Hits cd mentioned above you don't get the inferior single version, but a butchered 2 minute edit of the LP version which is tragic tbh.

This YT clip has TRex's Flo & Eddie doing the BVs and is great.

LP version
    David Cassidy - Darlin'

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  25. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

That's my 2nd favourite. What a suit though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.