David Cassidy, RIP.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The full length version of Darlin’ (3.25?) is certainly on the Japanese CD of The Higher You Climb from a few years back. This led to a flurry of complaints because it didn’t sound like the single version and people assumed that a much later (in his career) take had been used!

As for the 7ts version, I don’t know as I don’t own it. I note it was ‘freshly’ remastered by Tim Turan who sadly doesn’t go for the subtle approach, but hopefully the version used for the Japanese edition will be included.

MikaelaArsenault and oldturkey like this.
  2. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Thanks.
    It also appears to be on a bonus track on the Australian edition of The Partridge Family Definitive Collection cd, but How Can I Be Sure?
    There is a reviewer's comment on Amazon that says:

"The Darlin' version on the 7ts CD is different to the Japan CD 2003 BMG. The Darlin' version on the 7Ts is different to the Razor & Tie. Whereas 'The Partridge Family Definitive Collection 2001 CD is the same as 7ts CD.
    '7ts' (2012) + 'Definitive Collection' (2001 bonus tracks BMG Australia) is the same version where David Cassidy's voice is rough.
    'Japan CD' (2003 BMG) + 'When i'm a rock n' roll star' (1996 Razor & Tie) is the same version where David Cassidy's Voice is soft.
    The UK 7" single version of Darlin' is the soft voice version."

Customer Review

Definitely avoid the 2 minute edit Could It Be Forever Greatest Hits version though.

Btw, apparently in 1974 Cassidy was approached by Bowie who wanted to write and produce and album for him.

3. Bobby Morrow

So confusing!

I’m sure I read the Japanese CD had the correct LP version. His voice does sound quite rough on it! I should add that my Jpn disc is a later, 2011 MLPS edition, but I’m assuming it’s the same master. Let us know if the 7ts CD does have the right version.

I note many of his CDs are now out of stock on Amazon.

Cassidy turned down Bowie? What on earth was he thinking?!

Edit. Just reading that link, it says the 2009 Japan disc (presumably mine) does have the correct version. I thought it was. Too much trouble for a 40 year old single I don’t remember that well anyway.:)

4. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

In his autobiography Cassidy says he was invited to Bowie's New York hotel but he didn't like Bowie's type of social 'carnival' of Andy Warhol transsexual types and didn't want to tour any more, so he wasn't enthusiastic. Also he says one song was to be titled "I'm All Grown Up Now" which he thought was a bit 'obvious'. Instead he signed to RCA.
    Perhaps it was "Growing Up And I'm Fine" which he gave to Ronson, or "Growing Up" by Springsteen - both 1974ish.

5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Goodness I wasn’t expecting that dancing from Flo and Eddie....:D

Randoms likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

I suppose Bowie might not have been that big a deal to Cassidy... It wasn’t until the 80s when he really hit in big in the States. In 1974, Cassidy would be the bigger worldwide star of the two.

bob60 and oldturkey like this.
  7. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

That's true. Cassidy writes "We were at different ends of the spectrum - one guy whose success in the pop music field was largely behind him, the other whose success was still growing. ...My take was, I don't want to be where you're headed. Been there. Done it. Thanks....If I toured, I knew the fans would expect me to perform the old songs from the Partridge Family days. I couldn't stomach that thought."

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I had no idea what they looked like (impressed!), but I knew they had been in the Turtles. Happy Together's a great song. They do BVs on several tracks on the Higher They Climb The Harder They Fall album.

Randoms and bob60 like this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Donny Osmond spoke later on about how much he disliked his hits. He was a teenage boy being forced to sing soppy 50s and 60s covers...Mostly with the word ‘young’ in the title or at least as a theme.:D Like David Cassidy, he was a just a lad.. They’d want to sing rock, not stuff their parents had in their record collections:D

10. FredV

FredV Senior Member

11. Bobby Morrow

Review of the Dreams Are Nuthin’ album from Disc in November 1973.

[​IMG]

Randoms and oldturkey like this.
  12. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I'm sorry, but even in the USA, the man who'd done Space Oddity and Changes among others was a bigger star in 1974 than the guy from the Partridge Family.

audiotom likes this.
  13. FredV

FredV Senior Member

14. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Strange how they used to put the price of the album in with the review....

oldturkey and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

16. Bobby Morrow

I used to really like Disc. I preferred their reviews to Record Mirror's. Sadly it closed in 1975. I think it 'combined' with RM for a while which of course meant nothing.:D

bob60 likes this.
  17. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Those are very sad last words.

18. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Fans at a concert at White City Stadium, west London. in 1974

David Cassidy – a life in pictures

JoeRockhead, 905, bob60 and 3 others like this.
  19. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Everyone except Susan Dey expressed their condolences.

20. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

The arrangements with T.Rex are fairly unique, and I have to say rather brilliant.

Elenore and Happy Together, are fantastic songs.

oldturkey likes this.
  21. Randoms

I have to confess I have never been a fan, and apart from I Think I Love You, can't recall hearing any of his songs, and have never watched an episode of The Partridge Family.

What I do recall, is around 71-72, all the girls at primary school, talking about him in rather excited voices, and later, I remember the cover of, The Higher They Climb.

Strangely enough, I recently received a CD, which came with a bonus CD, covers and disc, but without case. This was David Cassidy's, Daydreamer, with him playing a blonde Telecaster. This arrived a couple of days before David was taken to hospital.

I mentioned this to a work colleague, and he told me his wife was a David Cassidy mega fan, his fan club being massive, and about the tragedy at his concert, which triggered the heavy drinking - so sad.

I will listen to the album, in full today: I may become a very belated fan.

R.I.P. David.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    oldturkey and Bobby Morrow like this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

I’m surprised you don’t recall any of his songs...He was big around the time of Donny and the Osmonds. Unless you blanked them all out, of course.:)

If you do end up liking him, 7ts have a run of his albums in print.

Edit. The ‘bonus’ CD you received might have ‘redos’ of some of his songs.. It also may not, but he did re-record some of his hits which occasionally turn up on comps.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Randoms and bob60 like this.
  23. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

24. Bobby Morrow

A year later they’d all be at a Bay City Rollers concert.:D

oldturkey, audiotom and thgord like this.
  25. Randoms

I think I started getting into music about a year later, and didn't catch up with David,

I was more aware of Donny and the Osmonds, who I guess came slightly later.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.