David Cassidy, RIP.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I've spent a good portion of the past week viewing old YouTube clips of DC interviews, performances, and career exposes. Also have been listening to many PF song favorites. He sure did have a voice as smooth as silk. Really sad how his life turned out. However, I'm sure he had some truly amazing experiences both professionally and sexually. He really hit the lottery in the looks department.

Tanx, oldturkey and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

RIP David.

Saw him open for the Beach Boys and he put on a very good show.

3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

David Cassidy really carried a generation of young girls and didn't want to be that guy.
    Didn't take himself seriously and embraced the irony

God rest his soul.

Mad Magazine - or was it National Lampoon ran this cartoon round 1972

I still remember the lyrics

"Last evening I woke from sleep in horror

Cause I had an awful nighmare

That I was just a nameless average kid

Not famous God forbid

With little girls not screaming

I'm glad I was only dreaming

cause I dig that I'm so big

I think I love me"

ronm and oldturkey like this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm glad that the Brady Bunch cast stayed on relatively good terms.

zebop and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I think Bowie should be added to that list - more for the bad girls though imo. There is footage of teenage girls in school uniform in floods of tears trying to catch a glimpse of him.
    Cassidy, the Osmonds and the Rollers had the sort of national Beatlemania reaction that Bowie didn't though.

My younger sister really liked the Rollers - they really replaced the Osmonds in the hearts of teenage girls in the UK. I can distinctly remember being amazed by the intense reaction to the Rollers in 75.

6. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

I certainly remember the girls going mad for David Cassidy, Donny, and later, the Rollers, but far less Bowie. BUT, these were pre-teen girls; the naughty teen girls may well have been into Bowie (actually I've also seen film of teenage girls in tears for Bowie, and screaming for, or maybe at, Dave Hill....), but they would have been at the 'big' school, and going to different places than I was as a 10 year old!

bob60, oldturkey and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The Rollers had a great year between 1974-5. At the time I’d not known anything like it. Fair dues to the band for garnering that amount of attention as, let’s be honest, none of them were beauties. Of course the lack of underwear and the BAFTA winning Shang A Lang series may have helped.

bob60 and Randoms like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

I always thought of Slade as a lads band. I don’t remember any girls at school drooling over them, but that doesn’t mean there weren’t. Of course, even Gary Glitter was deemed a heartthrob at this time. Must have been all the power cuts and general despondency.:D

knob twirler, oldturkey and Randoms like this.
  9. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

Doubly sad that his daughter's 31 birthday was yesterday.

10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Maureen and Eve are still feuding I believe.

11. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

The power of TV could have been a factor, but in all these cases (Bolan TV, Jackson 5 cartoon, Shag-A-Lad, Osmond's tv series) didn't the TV series come after the music success? In David Cassidy's case it was the reverse in the US, but not in the UK where the Partridge Family series wasn't that much of a hit IIRC. It's a bit too long ago to remember exactly.
    On a different scale was Flintlock who were heroic failures. Mike Holloway joined the Tomorrow People after being in the band for quite a few years., but he had been trying to be a TV band heartthrob for ages via TV guest appearences. They only managed one hit - something wasn't quite right there.
    It just goes to show that Cassidy had both the looks and the voice.
    Of course nowadays you just have to take your shirt off and stick your tongue out on Saturday night TV to get to No 1.

Gary Glitter and The Osmond's suits would definitely have stood out amid the gloomy brown power cut era of the early 70s..

12. Bobby Morrow

I think Shang A Lang premiered in the Spring of 1975, which would be around the time of Bye Bye Baby, but I’m not 100% sure. I do agree that the Partridge Family didn’t seem like a big thing in the UK...Though this could be because I was a little young for it. I recall them dumping it all over the place in the TV schedule... Making it hard to keep up with. Especially when we only had one TV in the house back then.:D

I saw Flintlock on the BBC4 repeats of TOTP singing Dawn, which I had no memory of. I did remember Mike Holloway’s face from The Tomorrow People and his guest spot in Pauline’s Quirkes.:)

MikaelaArsenault and oldturkey like this.
  13. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

14. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Mose Jones - Get Right

15. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Thank you. I pushed Reply to the wrong post. Who were the 4 reviews' writers?

, post: 17611520, member: 63201"]Mose Jones - Get Right [/QUOTE]

16. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

OK but we are talking 1974. I was 9 years old and I remember: I had loved the Partridge Family but wasn't watching them by the time they were cancelled. We are talking 3-4 years after the Partridge hits, and even this little kid tuned in to the radio knew David Bowie was a current guy with a few songs out. (It could be my good luck growing up with relatively hip Boston radio; even Starman must have got play on our top-40 station, WRKO, because that was one of my first favorite songs, though I know in retrospect it only charted up to about 60 in the US.)

17. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

These days you can pick him up on .... cellphone 2

oldturkey and NaturalD like this.
  18. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

The first time I heard David Cassidy was when I was watching Four Weddings and A Funeral, one of my favorite movies. His name seemed to sound a bit romantic to me at that time, although I would not know who he was until much later. Here is the scene:

19. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Is that advert suggesting that she was a Bowie fan when Starman was released? Do they think we are that old? Surely her style is more Frankie Vaughan.
    I feel I've been put out to pasture in the minds of TV advertisers. No wonder they think they can get away with all that Parlophone boxed set nonsense - they think we're all deaf!

Randoms likes this.
  20. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

That would have to have been the REAL bad girls! Or who were too self conscious to wear their horn-rimmed glasses.

Randoms likes this.
  21. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Could be, but who knows what they're actually saying ? Could be the lady's gotten hooked on it after watching the Martian movie. 1972 Bowie or Cassidy fans, if they were 15 at the time will now be 60. But by then the Beatles flame had already gone, so those fans must be the truly old farts ;)

oldturkey likes this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

I’m sure she was in my class at school.:laugh:

I found this rather insulting.. I mean, I know I’m knocking on a bit, but she looked that woman at the end of Titanic!

Randoms and oldturkey like this.
  23. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Totally with you there! I'm shocked that I could be thought of as her age bracket - she looks even too old to be a Beatles fan. She's got to be about 80 there. Either that or she smoked 20 Senior Service a day.

Randoms and Bobby Morrow like this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

My dad is 89. In 1973 when he chanced upon a record by Bowie or Sweet on the ‘wireless’ he acted as if the world was ending. Even today if a song from that era comes on the radio he’ll still switch it off. He has no affection for the 70s stuff at all. He’s not really on board with 60s music, if I’m honest!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    oldturkey and Randoms like this.
  25. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Well, most of us may like the occasional modern song. :D

If I heard one of those in 45 years time, if I make it, I would be 90! :yikes:

oldturkey and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.