David Cassidy, RIP.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Cassidy had one of his biggest UK hits towards the end of 1973 with Daydreamer. I believe by this time his solo recording career was already struggling in America. He continued to have medium sized hits until 1975 when it abruptly stopped. It was the same thing with the Osmonds. 1972/73 were huge for them. 1974 wasn't too shabby either. Alas, despite a couple of big hits with The Proud One and Donny & Marie's Morning Side Of The Mountain, they were done for by mid-1975.

bob60 and oldturkey like this.
  2. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I'm waiting for an Ebay Cherish/Rock Me but it is MIA.
    I picked up the Razor & Tie RCA albums compilation When I'm A Rock & Roll Star which is a really good listen. Those RCA tracks are so good. Tomorrow and January are good versions. It has a great sleeve too, with outtakes from the Higher They Climb sleeve session.
    Cassidy seems to have a bit of a Donald Trump sunglasses eyes tan thing going on. Check the last image (black) on here:
    David Cassidy - When I'm A Rock 'N' Roll Star: The David Cassidy Collection

You can also see how they made the original sleeve - standing on blocks to make it look like he's airborne.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Was it the Rollers who did for Cassidy and The Osmonds do you think?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I have to admit I can't really appreciate this sort of Partridge Family material. Even with 'I Think I Love You' I find the arrangement a bit too much and the brown velvet suits are something else.
    His voice is also much better on the solo material IMO.

5. Bobby Morrow

Yes, they were more accessible and you didn’t have to wait for them to come over from the States. :) Even so, they only had one really good year. 1974-5. By 1976 they were struggling even though their albums were getting stronger.

oldturkey likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

I have the Cherish/Rock Me Baby on order with Amazon now. It’s proved elusive with even MusicMagpie letting me down on that one. I note they’re advertising it as ‘in stock’ again. Ho hum. The one that did arrive, Home Is Where The Heart Is/Gettin’ It In The Streets, I haven’t yet played.

7. Bobby Morrow

He’s having to push his voice a bit there. It suits his style better when he’s not yelling. His voice loses that special quality it had.

oldturkey likes this.
  8. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Thanks so much for posting.

willy likes this.
  9. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just found this one...

Darryl

oldturkey and Tanx like this.
  10. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I'm reading his (second) autobiography now, and he claims the early shows were just thrown together in the style of Elvis--backing vocalists, horns, the works. You can really see the influence here, even though it's a bit later.

oldturkey likes this.
  11. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Yet more rubbish for me to deal with. The Ebay seller who claims to have sent me the 7t's Cherish/Rock Me Baby cd way back in November now says he can't replace it because he's out of stock.
    Quote:

"Good afternoon, Thank you for your email, I am really sorry to hear that you haven’t received your order yet. I can assure you it was definitely posted out within two days of us receiving your order. Unfortunately, once your order leaves our building it really is in the hands of Royal Mail to complete your delivery, and unfortunately, this is beyond our control. I am really sorry about this; I can only assume your order has gone astray in the post. This item has been in high demand, so unfortunately at the moment we are out of stock."

I pointed out that he is still listing 10 for sale on Ebay UK, so he is being cavalier with the truth to put it mildly or telling Porky Pies (to use the vernacular).

David Cassidy - Rock Me Baby Cherish [CD]

[​IMG] 4 sold in last 24 hours

Seller information
    chalkys_uk (60059 [​IMG])
    99.6% Positive Feedback
    Registered as a business seller
    Item information
    Condition:
    New
    Quantity:
    More than 10 available 92 sold / See Feedback

David Cassidy - Rock Me Baby Cherish [CD] 5013929053427 | eBay

Sigh. I bet they don't have to deal with this sort of rubbish in Japan.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The Partridge Family was a part of my youth and I can't deny it. One of friends sisters was a Donny/Osmond's fan and I rarely ever got into them, outside of "One Bad Apple" and their deliciously arranged "Christmas Album", by the guy (Don Costa), who arranged many of my favorite albums by Sinatra. I will have to admit to getting a little sad, while I was flipping through some old singles the other day and David's "Cherish" came up.

13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Not sure if anyone else posted this yet, but it is fun ...

14. Bobby Morrow

That's strange as I emailed Chalkys yesterday to see if Cherish/Rock Me Baby was actually in stock. They are advertising it on eBay and Amazon. They replied, "I can confirm it's definitely in stock".:D

Not that I need it as a sealed copy arrived from the desperately confused Music Magpie today! Yes, this is the one they refunded me for last week! Also, they've sent me another copy of Home Is Where The Heart Is/Gettin' It In The Streets which of course they also sent me last week. So if you want it, you can have it:)

oldturkey likes this.
  15. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Thanks - kind of you, but I think I'll see how they respond to my email. Maybe Christmas is already proving too much for these companies.
    BTW, did you hear any distortion like you did on the Buddha CD?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

I haven't tried it yet. Or the Home one for that matter. I'll let you know how it sounds when I do.

BTW, if you change your mind about the Home/Gettin' It CD, drop me a PM.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    oldturkey likes this.
  17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Darryl

Tanx and RubenH like this.
  18. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I wonder how much unreleased stuff will come out now.
    David always blocked stuff like this in the past.

PF - Me Loving You (Recorded May 1, 1972)

PF - My Kind Of Music (Recorded August 5, 1970)

Colage - My Kind Of Music

Tanx likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Just to let you know, I've played the Rock Me Baby 'half' of the 7ts disc. Alas to say, it's just as thunderously loud and distorted as the Buddha release. In fact, although the 7ts disc purports to be 'remastered by Tim Turan', I'd put money on it being the exact same version as on the Buddha CD. Don't have the know how to compare the two, so you'll have to take my word for it.:)

I dug out the Rock Me Baby LP and played one of the worst offenders ((Oh No) No Way) and I think there's distortion on that, so it may be how it was recorded in the first place. Hard to tell as it's a not especially well kept 45 year old LP, though:) The record is nowhere near as loud as the 7ts CD, obviously...

How are you getting on with those travesties of orders of yours?

oldturkey likes this.
  20. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I started looking around, and you're right, there's a ton of unreleased material, both solo and from the Partridge Family.

What's the story behind it? Why would it have not been released at the time of the show, considering the level of marketing Cassidy at the time?

21. Bobby Morrow

Considering how many albums the Partridge Family put out, not to mention David’s solo stuff, I’m surprised there’s anything in the vaults... They must have worked like dogs!

22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

David was the one that worked like a Dog during those years.
    There are several songs in the fourth season that never made it to the albums.

David Cassidy Discography

Darryl

23. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I finally received The Higher They Climb on 7t's (Music Magpie :righton:), and have given it a spin. It sounds better than my old RCA vinyl (but that has been almost worn out). It has definitely been remastered louder, and wave analysis shows chopping off of the extreme peaks, but it's not too bad. The only faults I can hear is the sibilance on the vocal on the first few tracks of "Higher", but it's the same on my record, so it must have been recorded badly.
    It's a bloody good LP imo. Dreams Are Nuthin is a good showcase for his versatility, but for me The Higher They Climb is just a great record as a whole.
    Nice sleevenotes, but I wish they had included the original rejected artwork of Cassidy as a drunken old tramp. Can't find it on the internet, but I know it exists - I've seen it somewhere.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

Glad something came.:) Did you resolve the Cherish/Rock Me Baby dispute?

I have the Japanese CDs of Dreams and Higher. The former definitely sounds better. That must have been very well recorded as it’s lush enough to be a Carpenters album. Higher doesn’t sound quite as good, but as you say, it was probably always that way. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on Rock Me Baby (or ROCK ME BABY, as I now think of it) when you get it.

25. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I'll let you know if and when!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.