David Crosby "Sky Trails"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Finally got my vinyl on Friday and I love it. I just can't believe that's he's made three excellent albums in such a short period of time -- plus it seems that he's already working on new material (see previous post #128)!

wallpaperman likes this.
  2. Sunsales

Sunsales Forum Resident

I've received 2 copies from Amazon. Side 2 of record 1 is very noisy, in the same areas on both copies.

Record #2 on both copies will not fit on my spindle. Both are going back to Amazon.

I'm not sure where these were pressed. Really a shame, since the sound is so nice.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the CD sounds beautiful. and will never wear.

RubenH and SteveM like this.
  4. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

I had exactly the same issue so I received a replacement copy.

Unfortunately Side 2 of LP 1 is exactly the same on both copies with the same surface noise and odd pop and crackle in the exact same places!

Likewise on side 1 of LP2 ;-)

Otherwise a beautiful LP both musically and sonically.

Richard

5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I really dug (and continue to dig) "She's Got To be Somewhere", but for me it was like bait-and-switch compared to the rest of the album. I would've welcomed an entire album of similarly-styled tracks. This ain't for me.

driverdrummer likes this.
  6. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

No wonder with your user name :).
    When I've heard that track I was sure it was written and/or produced by Donald Fagen. Still I'm amazed since it sounds like an unknown "Gaucho"-era song...

limoges, AppleCorp3 and RoyalScam like this.
  7. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

Same here , what a shame as otherwise so nice , it will have to go back to Amazon

SteveM likes this.
  8. Sunsales

Sunsales Forum Resident

Was your copy pressed in Europe?

9. Mulroydave

I don’t think so , looks to be from the USA

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm going to see Crosby on November 15th. Is he still selling the limited edition CD at his shows? I was going to buy the CD but will wait for the show if he's still selling the limited edition. What makes it a limited edition?

That eBay listing shows a final selling price of $81. I believe the seller is a member here who was banned from the classifieds due to issues of reselling WTB items for much higher prices on eBay.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  11. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I bought the album. First thing I thought when playing it was Babylon sisters shake it. But in a good way.:D
    I like most of the tracks. Good effort.

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

as afar as i can tell there is not a single difference in the CD being sold at the shows and those being sold retail.

if there is however, please let us know.

Hep Alien, Matthew Tate and Bill Mac like this.
  13. I threw my LP back at Amazon - it's a rubbish pressing all round. My copy arrived scratched, warped and dished. It was very scuffed from the cheap nasty paper inners.
    Apparently the Bernie Grundman mastered CD sounds great so I've now belatedly ordered that instead.

Mulroydave likes this.
  14. Too true! Some of us need to prize ourselves off this ridiculous "vinyl bandwagon". CD ordered and I'm looking forward to hearing the album with a perfectly silent background.

Humbuster likes this.
  15. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I finally got around to listening to this album and all of the positive comments in this thread are true. This is an EXCELLENT album and is probably my vote for album of the year 2017. I have found myself listening to it everyday for the past week. I'm hooked.

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i went to 3 record stores today and not one of them had 'sky trails' in stock...which tells me one of two things: it sold out......or......they didn't even order it.

i did not see a srills/collins or rusty young or bruce cockburn either, and of all things, one of the stores actually had the chris hillman!

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Mulroydave

Replacement arrived and at least I can play disc 2 but still lots of noise , this one is going back too and I will get the cd

SteveM likes this.
  18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I would be willing to bet none of them ordered it. And they wonder why we order via the internet.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Mulroydave

Hmm, just played side 4 with the two tracks at 45 rpm and these are superb, maybe worth keeping just for side 4. So frustrating

20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

My vinyl is noisy especially disc 1. Looks like all copies come from US and I'm guessing this one was done by Rainbo? Plus side the music is great. Will run it through RCM to see if there is an improvement. As I suspected from others comments there is little point in exchanging. At least my discs are fairly flat. (Purchased from Amazon seller Coda Music in Scotland.)

21. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I thought I was going to take away with it but side 2 of my copy is very noisy. The other three sides are fine. As stated it’s a shame as the music is great. It does boggle the mind a bit doesn’t it that out of his contemporaries it is Mr Crosby who is still alive and making excellent music - there are not many left who are.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

all three of them (CSN) have been quite prolific of late.

The MEZ and vegafleet like this.
  23. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I was surprised how much I like the Stills Collins album!

The MEZ, Humbuster and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

25. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Got the CD. Didn't need the vinyl woes and I'm happy that I was warned. :D The album is really solid. I'm glad that Cosby didn't go all out Aja on this and was mostly discrete. Excellent sax players, and David Gilmour touring drummer Steve Destanislao really has a feel for these jazzy grooves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.