David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

You eluded to this list as being negative factors by making a clear distinction to aspects "On the positive side..."
    That's the way your statement comes off to anyone who reads it whether it was intentional or not.

2. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

I just realized I can turn off those bouncy things in sigs!

Gilmore at the small-ish Kodak Theater in LA April '06. The night after the Hollywood Bowl gig. The lighting rig was so overwhelming people were placing their hands over their eyes. You could feel the heat in front when some of the lights were fired up (pre-LED). But the sound was amazing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I don't think too many other people are more stoked about this Pompeii Gilmour release than rontoon, although I cannot speak for him, but just guessing based on his past involvement with their music(can't recall what he did for their RSD Single, 'Interstellar Overdrive' that he was not credited on the sleeve for). I have only been into Pink Floyd since around 2003-04 and I am very stoked for this Deluxe Set(wish there was even more Music from the other Tour Stops then what is being made available).

Although, The 6 Individual Early Years Box Sets are what I really treasure as part of my Music Collection(I missed out by a few hours in early March on Getting the Big Box Set from Amazon-UK for $240, and price never got that low since, but that is ok as that box was a space eater and just miss getting the 7th Individual Set, as did not need the Vinyl or extra posters that badly). Just wish there would be a few concerts released on Video & Audio from 'Animals' & 'Wish You We're Here' Era.

coffeetime, rontoon and footlooseman like this.
  4. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Of all the edits this one hurts the most, it was already edited out of Gdansk. One of his greatest ever songs imo

5. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

My buddy & I were just reminiscing about last year's RAH shows and watching our iPhone shot videos. We've watched some great concerts here in London but Gilmour shows were special and my best concert experience to date. Everything just worked out - had great seats, the band sounded amazing, the visuals were great, the crowd was very engaging too.....I truly hope that David isn't done touring and there will be more shows to come!

Also love how he chose to play the Royal Albert for a week than do a show at larger arena like the O2 (which is what most big acts do) - watched Ritchie Blackmore at the O2 last month and the experience felt so distant in comparison.

6. rontoon

While I'm VERY excited about it I wouldn't be so presumptuous to gauge my excitement more or less than anyone else. Let's just say that we're ALL very excited about it! :righton:

7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Awesome photo! :righton:

footlooseman likes this.
  8. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

This is ridiculous. I didn't elude in any way as being negative, I even stated they were smart edits. They had to be done, so that the whole concert could fit on 2 discs. Maybe it didn't come out in the best manner, but the "on the positive side" note meant only to reinforce that this is going to be a truly phenomenal release. You're playing defensive with someone who is not in any way attacking you or "Live At Pompeii". On the contrary.

I've been one of the most excited fans of this release. I was there, at the very first row on Night #2 and been ecstatic, watching myself in all the footage that has been released. My list of edits comes from somebody who has been truly excited, paying attention to every detail so far. This is ridiculous.

coffeetime likes this.
  9. rontoon

I didn't feel attacked or claim to be attacked (from your defensive response you appear to be projecting this) . I was simply commenting on what you wrote which I obviously misinterpreted. Your "on a positive" note was misleading. Thanks for the clarification.

10. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

/\ thats so lame, lets enjoy the release please

NunoBento likes this.
  11. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

Unless I'm misunderstanding, Fat Old Sun was on Gdansk?
    Wots...Uh The Deal was removed from Gdansk though.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Technically, they're both there : David Gilmour - Live In Gdańsk

13. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

14. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

New video from South America :)

The Quiet One, LarsO, aphexj and 2 others like this.
  15. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

There was a 1-track US promo CD of that track. I've inserted it in my CD version of the concert.

Billy Infinity and footlooseman like this.
  16. Myke

17. JonMcK

JonMcK Forum Resident

Yeah I've got that and done the same thing.

18. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Gees...I hope the concert film isn't edited like this, showing hyper-emotional people in the front row. Yikes.

vitorbastos123 and footlooseman like this.
  19. rontoon

I agree and am hoping that this was a case just for the docs. I really disliked the crowd shots in Waters live Wall release. That among other things.

20. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Agreed. Similarly, I could have done without the drunk dancing man on Remember That Night during David's "Comfortably Numb" solo. Awkward and distracting from the music.

21. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

what ever happened to listening and polite applause? its a david gilmour concert not a soccer match. have to say i prefer more volume to drown out the yahoos.

NunoBento, Six Bachelors and rontoon like this.
  22. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

And there weren't enough scenes of people holding their phones... ;)

23. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I'd be willing to bet that this taken from the South America documentary portion of the bonus disc in the deluxe set. No need to worry, as Gilmour is one of the few artists whose concert films are edited very, very well by modern standards. I'm very optimistic that the Pompei main feature will be edited just as well as the "Remember That Night"
    & "Gdansk" DVD/BR discs.

Six Bachelors and coffeetime like this.
  24. Myke

:laugh:

25. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I think that film was made to show the special South American vibe. Concert audiences there got a completely different vibe to the US and european crowds. It is a cultural thing. Many artists loves that kind of direct response. Can't blame them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.