David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

This makes me want to watch the original Floyd Pompeii again... Classic!

2. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

I am sure that Gilmore's tour 2015-2016 can't be limited only by release "Live in Pompeii". I assume that Pompeii shall be without bonus - this concert is unique by the legendary place. And also the separate release (audio and video) on all tour with the best executions and many bonus is necessary.

footlooseman likes this.
  3. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Cool, my first live Gilmour release as well. I have been meaning to pick up the gdansk set too.

4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Hopefully, this won't require a bundle of Blu Ray with 2 CD's.

ARK likes this.
  5. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Absolutely agree. At the show I saw in Chicago, "In Any Tongue" was one of the real highlights of a set full of highlights. And I wasn't alone in thinking that. I was up front, and when the song ended, there was a group of us just looking at each other, jaws on the floor, with a look of "Did that just really happen?" We were just knocked over. Fantastic performance and I'm really looking forward to hearing and seeing the versions from Pompeii (or whatever the set might provide).

moodyxadi, DaverJ, Merman and 7 others like this.
  6. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Thanks for the heads up rontoon!

Merman and rontoon like this.
  7. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Andy Jackson mixing also gets a :righton: from me.

I saw Gilmour in Chicago in 2006 with Rick on keys and it was sublime. I have both the Gdansk 4 disc set and Remember That Night. But I missed the Rattle That Lock tour, so his latest band lineup and show will be new to me.

8. BrianL77

BrianL77 New Member

first post here. This is great news! So glad Andy Jackson is on the mix. Any idea when it will hit the street?

Opeth and coffeetime like this.
  9. KASHMIR

KASHMIR Forum Resident

Can't wait for this release since I missed the tour.

Opeth likes this.
  10. Poster_Nutsack

Poster_Nutsack Active Member

I currently have a hard time deciding whether my favorite record box set in my collection is Live In Gdansk or Pulse. I hope this release gets the proper vinyl release that makes this an even harder decision.

rontoon and Szeppelin75 like this.
  11. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Admittedly I don't have the DVD to compare but the Blu-ray has lossless 5.1 sound while on DVD 5.1 sound is always compressed and stereo sound usually is but varies by DVD. So the Blu-ray quality jump is more than just video.

xTraPlaylists, LarsO and Szeppelin75 like this.
  12. ALB123

ALB123 Forum Resident

Yes. If I were your doctor, I would write a prescription for you -- Take 1 DVD of Live at Pompeii (original performance, not directors cut) twice a year...or as needed. Not to exceed 365 doses in one year.:laugh:

rontoon likes this.
  13. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

A Gilmour DVD (or BD) release is always something I welcome. I love that a lot of his DVD releases have really nice extra bonus material, a far cry from the standard photo gallery, uninteresting interviews etc.

Here is one from the Meltdown dvd that I really love:

14. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Hopefully I don't derail this thread for too long, but what is the difference between Director's Cut and original?

15. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Wow I've never seen that, will have to pull out the DVD and re-watch.

ChrisEfterklang likes this.
  16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The Director's Cut is an atrocity which should never be spoken of.

Actually, the problem with the DC is that there are cheesy animation sequences which are not only out of place and don't fit with the mood of the original film, but are also just awful.

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Is the Original Cut part of the Early Years Box Set, and also in the Individual Set(Obfusc/ation 1972)? If not, and the Early Years Set just repeats the 'Director's Cut', where else can the Original Cut be bought?

Or are just the concert songs played in The Early Years Box Set(Video along with the CD) and Individual Set release and not the rest of the film?

18. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The Early Years box set includes a new audio remix with FOOTAGE from the horrible Director's Cut in standard definition and cropped visuals.

The Original Cut is not in included, but it will be released on bluray eventually.

jlf and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  19. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

I really wish Gdansk was released on Blu-Ray, granted it's pretty much the same song list as "Remember that Night" but it has a totally different vibe! especially with the string section, and it being outside. Not to mention the guitar solo on "A Great Day for Freedom!"

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  20. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

Yes, especilly on the audio side, going from Dolby Digital (640kbs) to Lossless Dolby TrueHD. Video looks better as well. I'd recommend picking up the Blu-Ray. Cheers!

Linger63 and coffeetime like this.
  21. ALB123

ALB123 Forum Resident

@posnera was right on the money. The original cut is just footage of the band playing in Pompeii with some filmed footage of the surrounding monuments and stuff like that. For some reason, they made this awful thing called the Directors Cut which uses the worst computer animation you've ever seen in your life. Why would I want to be watching terribly constructed CGI when I could be watching David Gilmour playing guitar or Waters pounding away on the bass? There is one interesting addition and that is a few off the cuff interview questions with some of the Floyd. It's only a few minutes and you can see those additional filmed clips on YouTube. Consider yourself warned...The directors cut can transmit HIV! :laugh: No, seriously...it is awful.

moodyxadi and They Call Me M like this.
  22. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Unless he comes to the US on tour again, I am forever going to kick myself for missing that last tour. The only one remaining on my bucket list and one of my favorite artists.

:realmad:

coffeetime, tkl7 and Dog Ear like this.
  23. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I'm hyperventilating here, waiting for news about this release!

JulesRules and Tornado Red like this.
  24. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

DG used to perform So Far Away to great effect. Guess that's not in the playlist anymore.

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

AFAIK, So Far Away was never performed live.

Larry Schmidt and ALB123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.