David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Couldn't make it tonight, unfortunately. Did see him in Chicago, minus encore though.

Can't wait for bluray set.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  2. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

I just got back from the theatre as well. More than most, "Live at Pompeii" benefits from the big screen and the loud Dolby surround. I thought it was fantastic; "Comfortably Numb" was the closest thing I get to a religious moment.

Sevoflurane and RiRiIII like this.
  3. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Sadly I was trapped at the office and missed it... lucky you all!

4. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Agree 100%. My local cinema multiplex was showing it on one screen in 4K / Atmos and it looked and sounded superb. One Of These Days and Comfortably Numb were outstanding, but the performance overall was excellent, DG was in fine form, and the band were all superb.

5. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Very different from my own experience/opinion. Thought the sound was stellar. Also appreciated the fresh and different details in arrangement and performance.

6. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Unfortunately the showing at Newcastle UK was cancelled at the last minute. The manager wasn't sure what had happened and said he thought other UK cities also cancelled. Anyone else had that experience? We were promised a refund and also got 2 free tickets each for any film. Really disappointing

7. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

That is really bad. Make sure you get the film on DVD/BluRay.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  8. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

My wife is brazilian. She stayed home to watch the kids (not a major fan like myself). I told her about Joao Mello from Brazil and how Greg Philliganes bowed and praised him during his Shine On solo. We researched a bit and found out that he was 20 when he got hired by Gilmour! I'm very curious how that happened. Anoyone knows the story?

9. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Couldn’t make it myself. I’d have been disappointed if I had have gone though, no Faces of Stone. My favourite song on RTL, emotive subject matter and some of David best ever guitar work. I’ll just have to console myself with the all singing, all dancing Blu Ray boxset and my own decent HT system in a couple of weeks.

Wow! A friend received similar offer when the advance screening of Spider-Man: Homecoming was cancelled earlier this year as the digital file for the film hadn’t finished downloading. This was at the flagship Odeon at Liverpool ONE, not some provincial cinema.

If this had have been any more widespread, I suspect we’d have all heard the screams by now. Has the cinema been able to reschedule the screening?

rontoon likes this.
  10. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

The Manager said something should go the website.

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Luckily, it is rescreened also tomorrow here in Athens. I am going!

revolution_vanderbilt and Kalli like this.
  12. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

Went to a viewing last night in Belfast and it was excellent- always a surprise over here when people burst into applause for a pre-recorded show! :)

Kalli and The Revealer like this.
  13. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Yes, there was some applause at my screening too.
    It also happened at the Genesis live cinema broadcast in 2007.
    They can't hear you!

14. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Applause AND goosebumps when the radio starts playing at the beginning of 'Wish You Were Here'.....What a song.

15. Yujo Rodrigues

Yujo Rodrigues New Member

Lars, Joao Mello was playing in a band in London togheter with Gilmour's daughter boyfriend (now Sara's husband). It seems Gilmour was searching for a sax player, watched him and enjoyed.

Kalli and LarsO like this.
  16. Yujo Rodrigues

Yujo Rodrigues New Member

Watched the movie yesterday night with my wife and 6 years old daughter. What a fantastic edit. I enjoyed the setlist, perfect match. I'm curious anyway to see the rest in BluRay. Very happy to be part of the crowd during the second night, it's like being part of history, a story to tell to my future grandsons. Said that, the movie edit offers a better experience for viewers than watching it live at the amphitheatre IMO.

17. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

18. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Bet he didn't expect that to happen when he joined the band! Good player with his own style apart from the classic Dick Parry sound.

The Revealer likes this.
  19. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Had a marvelous time in Kiev, Ukraine last night. Dunno whether the theatre was playing Atmos correctly but there were no problems with the sound. All seats sold out. Powerful sound. Great tone. Was fun to see him in the beginning with a Les Paul of all things. Great light show. And David is a blessed man. To play AND SING like this at the age of 71. Remarkable. Great musicians. Interesting harmonized solo on Great Gig. Remarkable atmosphere of the venue. Me and my girlfriend are really glad that they showed it in our neck of the woods.

Johnny Reb, azjvm05, LarsO and 6 others like this.
  20. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

My wife - not a big Gilmour fan but always a Floyd fan - was really impressed with his voice and how important it has always been to the music. I said, "It's starting to get raspy." She replied, "That just makes it better." I guess I'm a blessed man, too. ;)

21. Merman

Merman Forum Resident

Funny fact: People were clapping at the end of some songs :)

22. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Haha by everybody you must mean me :) as I love it

23. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Me too. Love the cartoon video as well. It is a change of pace on the album for sure but to me it works.

I've been wondering if the common dislike for that song is because people doesn't think the style fits Gilmour or if they generally doesn't like music in that style.

Johnny Reb and Phillip Walch like this.
  24. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

We had a blast at the music Hall in Portsmouth NH. Oldest theatre in NH 1878 it was rebuilt I believe after it burned down. First time there incredible little venue with full bar. Picture and sound was awesome. Show was amazing I was overcome with emotion when they played great gig followed buy a boat lies waiting and then wish you were here. What a tribute.

I was really in love with the previous band but I'll say the current band was incredible. Love seeing Chuck out there ! We also got the short return to Pompeii at the beginning or whatever it was called. If they show it again at music Hall I will definitely go again.

25. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Looks like the only 2 Tennessee cities that showed this on the 13th are not even listed on the 14-19 rerun.

Shame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.