David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

This is why I take the time to capture the audio to my hard drive with Audacity (which I do on on an older pc running linux to get full 24bit resolution). It's time consuming to do, but then I can carry the files on my phone. I actually find myself tossing the blu-ray discs in more often, tho. I really like On An Island. I first heard it all the way through on RTN. It does sound great on the vinyl. Gdansk has the benefit of the orchestra. It's months before I cycle through it all in the normal course of events.

rontoon likes this.
  2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

My theory is he wasn't in a good place mentally most of the 80's. Until he met Polly around 1989.

Might explains why he's barely touched any of his 80's stuff, except Sorrow, in the past 23 years or so years of shows.

3. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

When I listen to live albums I prefer CD/DVD/BR over vinyl for this very reason, much like bonus tracks. They are just not suited to vinyl.

rontoon likes this.
  4. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

He did try "On the Turning Away" on the OAI tour but forgot the lyrics midway through :laugh:

But in a recent interview he said that he's very proud of AMLOR songwriting and performance wise. And I can see why, I still think it's very strong musically. Songs like "Take a Breath" and "This Heaven" are in a similar vein but with more timeless production. The live versions of AMLOR material that are out there don't really do the material justice IMO (partially thanks to the mixing) except "Sorrow" from the PULSE CD.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Man, you're one lazy dude, dude! :laugh:

pinkrudy likes this.
  6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

She got him off his coke habit as well. Not a good time period for David.

NunoBento, The Revealer and Deek57 like this.
  7. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The "Rizzlas" are still in play though, a box of them can be seen in the Wider Horizons doc.. Anyway why not.

8. Terry

Terry Senior Member

This is quite an impressive marketing campaign.

9. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Not good for David or Rick both with coke i dont really like the DSOT album only stand out for me is run like hell i know pulse has had a clean up but its so much better performance wise too plus its watchable

rontoon likes this.
  10. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Always preferred the Tv broadcast of the Venice concert than the official DSOT film itself. Aside from it being my point of entry for all things Floyd, it doesn’t have all of the awful dropped frames, cuts to black and white and other effects that distract and date it horribly.

11. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

All this.

coffeetime likes this.
  12. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Anyone have an early review copy of the blu ray set? If so, what are dimensions of the poster and postcards?

13. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

Marketing in my inbox says the poster is 24X36. Wish I had that early review to offer! Waiting, waiting....:waiting:

xXFloydianXx likes this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I thought the other day as I put a poster back inside of a newly acquired album, " I used to make room for these on my walls, as a kid, now at nearly 60, they go back inside the record jacket."

15. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

why didnt floyd do the IOW? the JH set gets a bad rep by some but its my favorite, the machine gun alone is worth the price of admission for those that paid

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  16. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I'm with you there, now when I get a poster I just wonder why, they get a cursory glance then they get tucked back into the sleeve never to see the light of day again. I stopped putting up posters forty years ago..

Phillip Walch, rontoon and Myke like this.
  17. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

The Dark Side Of The Moon 30th anniversary poster was put in a frame by my wife and is hanging by our dinner table. And she is not even a Floyd fan. Neither did she do it to please me (at least not only) but because she loves it. That one is unusually good looking though.

[​IMG]

supermd, superstar19, Kalli and 8 others like this.
  18. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Where did they meet? I know they didn't start "dating" until 1992.

19. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Well, I'm not a young teen that just slams up posters with tacks or tape. And I've got some boring empty walls. Framing looks professional.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It really makes all the difference. Takes them from teenage distraction to potential works of art. Poster dependent, of course.

Hattipper likes this.
  21. Phillip Walch

They met at a house party of a friends of Polly's, she thought he was gay as Storm lived with him at the time and DG even joked at (I think) the Hay Book festival that they acted like a married couple.

22. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I didn't realise how close Dave was to Storm.

JulesRules likes this.
  23. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

So they met a few years earlier before they started dating?

24. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I thought they first met when they had picnic next to each other and their respective children bonded (I think Polly told this in the Wider Horizons documentary).

vitorbastos123 and Rooster_Ties like this.
  25. Phillip Walch

Thank you I will check it out. I do remember a reference about their kids.

I can't find the full video of their Q&A at the Hay but I think it was there that they talked about a dinner part. Storm and David at that time were flat mates and now I remember better, she said that a friend told her that David was going to be there. When he arrived he had actually brought Storm with him and t turned out that Storm was staying with David at that time. Storm was best man at their wedding.

@Sigma6 just to tag you in above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.