David Gilmour - Live in Pompeii (Official Release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I think he's known for fixing his live releases in the studio anyway

Billy Infinity likes this.
  2. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Watching David twice last year at the Albert was and will remain one of my greatest concert experiences! I can't wait to see that show with the Pompeii backdrop to be made into a high quality concert film. That's one thing with David, whether you like his music or not, the releases are always done really well.

SteveFff, Bill Mac and coffeetime like this.
  3. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I replied to your comment above, but for some reason, the quote didn't get through.

4. MadFloyd

MadFloyd Forum Resident

Thank you, I appreciate it.

5. Yujo Rodrigues

Yujo Rodrigues New Member

Anyone here saw that?
    DCD Rights | Catalogue

60 minute recording from the DG Pompeii concert? Short version or a documentary is coming?

About Pompeii: I was there on the second night. Lucky enough I slept two nights in the same hotel where Adrian Maben was. 2 or 3 minutes talking during breakfast and he told me he's working on a BluRay version of the original Pompeii concert. I told him nothing in Pompeii will be better than the original PF concert @ Pompeii and he answered with a big smile :D

Johnny Reb likes this.
  6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Only 60 minutes??? Probably unique to the broadcast version. A shortened edit of DSOT also aired on cable, IIRC.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Yujo Rodrigues likes this.
  7. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I hope not!

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  8. rontoon

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

One hour is a shame.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  10. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I really hope it's not just 60min as that'd be a real shame. I'd hope the at the stage, despite being a bit of a perfectionist, that the odd wart in show would make it real and authentic....not something he has to worry about...sheesh, he's proven himself well enough over the last 40 years or so.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  11. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Maybe it's a broadcast highlights package and the full show will be available on Blu-ray?

12. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

So if there will be a Blu-Ray release of the original Pompeii film, does that make the Pompeii Video in 5.1 on the Obfusc/ation Box Set obsolete already, since a Blu-Ray would provide better video quality to go along with 5.1 Audio option? That would leave the Obfusc/ation with just having in one's collection for the CD of Pompeii(unless this will also be a second option with a new Blu-Ray if 2 versions might be sold), the Remix of OBC on CD, and for Video-3 other versions of the songs(Wot's...Uh the Deal, Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun, & Careful with that Axe, Eugene) played in a different venue, and about 14 minutes of French ballet dancers prancing around to shortened versions of songs from Pompeii(which is not something worth watching much-IMO, but I have no interest in watching ballet dancers, no matter what music they are prancing around to on stage), and a few interviews from France that dos nothing for me since I do not speak French(although I am sure the SHF Members from France might enjoy those interviews).

13. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I think it's very unlikely that David would release a short 60-minute film of those historic concerts. This definitely is the broadcast version. Expect the full (or almost full) concert version on commercial release (DVD/BD) along with some bonus extras.

I wonder if there will be a deluxe version that also includes the Wide Horizons BBC documentary...

14. EndlessRiver

EndlessRiver Forum Resident

Ron what is the source of your information posted??

LarsO likes this.
  15. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

16. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Hm, I thought Andy Jackson did the 5.1 on the box and James Guthrie was supposed to do the BD?

17. rontoon

That is correct. Guthrie will be mixing the standalone Blu-ray of the original Pompeii film. The current mix on the Obfusc/ation Blu-ray is not obsolete as it's an alternate mix.

18. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I believe James/das boot won't be doing the Pompeii Blu-ray now.

Hattipper likes this.
  19. rontoon

And why is that? They dont want to pay for it twice? Does this mean that Andy will use his transfer and mix? I think its still scheduled for a 4th quarter release.

Hattipper likes this.
  20. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I'm not aware of the reason however my assumption is Andy will be providing the mix. Unless Adrian has someone else doing it?

rontoon likes this.
  21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

No full show = no buy

calgary669 likes this.
  22. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

I really hope not. I usually *love* Andy Jackson's work, but Pompeii from TEY is...Less than ideal. That Blu-ray had so much treble, you could shatter crystal with it.

Or diamonds! ;-)

footlooseman and rontoon like this.
  23. Or Marbles?! :yikes:

24. They Call Me M

They Call Me M Wall History Nerd

Greetings from Cowtown! The Convention Center is about this big |<---------------------->| What a great place to see that show!

We flew out to LA to catch the first of the Hollywood Bowl shows. Other than David Crosby doing his best to fake his way through "Comfortably Numb", I thought the show was outstanding. As others have said, some of the visuals were unique to the Hollywood Bowl.

That said, I saw some of the fan video of the Pompeii shows posted before YouTube would take them down and the way the entire arena was used as part of the light show was spectacular. I can't wait for this disc and plan to watch it loud on the biggest screen I can.

Dog Ear likes this.
  25. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I wonder if there were any tensions with the band members during the tour?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.