David Gilmour's First Year with Pink Floyd 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Svetonio, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nope. The Who in 1966 is typical 'Rock' band.
    Btw, the first 'Rock' song ever is The Who's My Generation. That's the song that turned Pop into 'Rock'.

2. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Yes, no differences in tracks like Run Run Run & Won't Get Fooled Again at all. What's your definition of Rock then? What's the difference between Rock & Freakbeat?

3. Svetonio

'Rock' as a genre [with big 'R' and without 'roll'] was developed by English mod bands who were playing R&B standards on more agressive way. So, they invented 'riff'. Therefore, 'Rock' is a riff actually, e.g. when Keith Richards starts to play his riffs of Satisfation, that's 'Rock'. Of course, due to then zeitgeist, 'Rock' became more complex in the Seventies, but it still to be a riff based genre.
    "Freakbeat" is not a real genre actually. It's just a nice term coined by a journalist in 1980 to mark the bands of the Sixties' English Psychedelic rock scene that sound similar to the U.S. Garage Psych scene off the same era.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  4. hallucalation

So by that logic Beatles is not rock band because they did not played loud r&b covers and rarely played riffs? So is Stones was never mod band...

5. Svetonio

Of course that The Beatles were not 'Rock' but Pop-Rock band. Though, they recorded a few 'Rock' songs like Back in the U.S.S.R, Helter Skelter, Get Back ...

6. Svetonio

Okay, then perfect examples are The Kinks's You Really Got Me and The Who's My Generation where Pete Towshend performed riffs with his windmill-strum.

7. hallucalation

My Generation and You’re Really Got Me in particular started whole wave of garage bands in US. They are more in line with freakbeat or garage rock.Which is loud short 3 minute songs with power chords and attitude. Regarding Beatles... i better shut up! Back to the Floyd - no way it’s freakbeat

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I concur as the Live 4 Songs on 'Ummagumma' to me best represent all 5 Members and I prefer those type of Songs from their Psychedelic-Rock/Space-Rock Phase over what came later, although love all of 'WYWH' except the Title Track(that song and 'Money' from DSOTM kept me from not even having any desire to explore Pink Floyd, until around 2003 when 6 years earlier, I heard that 'OK Computer' was the DSOTM for my era, so got me interested eventually to check out other PF Music, but was really when I was watching a video on a TV in Circuit City and I ask the sales clerk who is this band and he said "Dude, that is Pink Floyd". The song was 'One of These Days' and that is what got me hooked on PF).

I also love 'Animals'(Waters dominated started here, but still a great album), but then Waters took over too much control for 'The Wall'(too bloated) and 'The Final Leftovers errrr. Cut'(a Waters Solo Album).

Just wish that Live part of the album would have added 'The Embryo'(similar to a few BBC versions) and 'Interstellar Overdrive'(although I have the London 1966-67 for that song live). Once I got into Pink Floyd, I really loved Atom Heart Mother Title Track, and 'Echoes' & 'One of These Days' from Meddle, in my Top 6-7 PF Songs. 'Echoes' is my #1 PF Song though overall.

japhyman likes this.
  9. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Nope, the Who in '66 were mod rockers.

10. oates

oates Forum Resident

'Freakbeat' is a 1980s term used to describe the groups who were influenced by the 1965 innovations by The Who and The Kinks - a kind of Maximum R&B/Pop Art with a bit of pot / speed thrown in. So Pink Floyd do not fit into the Freakbeat category, and nor do the Who or The Kinks. Psychedelia and LSD are not the same as Freakbeat but there is obviously a bit of overlap. More significantly, Freakbeat was about short, sharp sonic assaults, not long freak-out improvisations which the early Floyd were most famous for.

11. hallucalation

They were in 1965. They abandoned their r&b/mod image and goes to Pop Art in 1966.

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Frankly, I find this kind of speculation meaningless. Things happened how they happened and the Barrett album and singles are great and the Gilmour albums are great. No one wants Floyd to have called it quits after Barrett. Presumably anyone who's honest would not want the Floyd to never have had Barrett as a member. The brief Barrett era helped make the Floyd what they are. No point in pitting one against the other.

zinan, D.B., anth67 and 4 others like this.
  13. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

IMO the Kinks started it with You really got me

laf848 likes this.
  14. dkmonroe

The hell?! He was very much a "scholastic person" as regards art! And I think his Floyd work was very much an influence on progressive rock. "Progressive rock" doesn't just mean playing Chopin while wearing a cape.

15. dkmonroe

Oh geez, not this again.

Go listen to Please Please Me again, first track is a balls-out rock song.

16. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Gilmour has been a ceaseless champion of Syd's writing and talent. He produced and played on both of Syd's albums and appeared with him live - post Floyd.

He continues to perform songs Syd wrote to this very day - beautifully I might add. I have heard him play Dark Globe, Terrapin, Astronomy Domine, Here I Go, Domino.

There is no doubt how highly David regards Syd's work. I love 'em both myself.

Dodoz, Billy_Sunday, D.B. and 5 others like this.
  17. hallucalation

Is this freakbeat song?

dkmonroe likes this.
  18. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Ok, technically they were mod rockers in the beginning of '66 and art rockers
    by the end of '66. But at least we get the point. ;)

19. Svetonio

While playing R&B standards on their "wrong" way, mod bands invented 'Rock' as a genre as well.

20. I always thought of Interstellar Overdrive and Astronomy Domine as early examples of Space Rock. Now Lucifer Sam sounds more like Freak Beat to me.

21. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

The first rock song was recorded in the US in the mid 40's to early 50's. There are multiple candidates for that title.

EVOLVIST and savemenow like this.
  22. Svetonio

Pop Art was a genre of the visual art, not music.

23. Svetonio

Which song? lol, sadly, that song never existed..
    'Rock' was invented at London's mod scene.

24. Svetonio

Indeed, Pete Townshend got idea to write Tommy because he was inspired by an freakbeat album - S.F. Sorrow by Pretty Things.

25. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Rockett 88 is one of the candidates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.