David Gilmour's First Year with Pink Floyd 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Svetonio, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

The 1968 "Early Years" box set clearly shows a band that is lost and confused. I used to think ASOS was their worst album but I've come to appreciate it mainly for the title track and the Rick Wright/Barrett songs. With respect to the Townshend quote, anyone who has ever taken acid knows that he would have had to have walked for at least 6 hours to come down off it plus Syd isn't revered as a guitarist for the same reasons that say, Clapton was. However, there is no reason to say that Clapton is necessarily more qualified to provide a better guitar experience just because he has more chops than Barrett who could be using more emotion, effects and creativity for what comes out of his guitar. Barrett was all about pure freedom and artistic expression . It's really a shame that more of his live performances were not captured.

Chris M, Pete Puma and Lightworker like this.
  2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

To return to the topic, the first year with Gilmour was nowhere as good as the first year with Barrett! :drool:

Chris M and Dreams266 like this.
  3. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

As I recall, he mentioned slide technique in particular. What's funny, though, is that Syd used it in an utterly different context than a blues guitarist would. So in that sense, he taught that back to Dave :) Bet Joker's Wild's guitarist never imagined he'd be applying his tool box to something like Saucerful of Secrets ; )

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Chris M and JamesLord like this.
  4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

And not only psychedelic music, but flat out metal.

5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident Thread Starter

The U.S. zine founded in 1983 in California by an 21-yrs old editor* devoted to the obscure U.S. garage psych from 1960s, English freakbeat, the 70s punk and so on? Oh please enlighten me!

*Mike Stax' own band The Loons:

You like it? really?

6. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I would like to be enlightened even if Sventonio can't be. Please post it.

Svetonio and tables_turning like this.
  7. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Yes. What do you know about Ugly Things magazine anyway? That is sort of low quality trolling when my classmates used to tease me when i listened Beatles or Who instead of Prodigy.
    You clearly run out of arguments already. I already tired of enlighten you in many cases. I didn't teach you on subject of prog, then you, please, don't teach me about subject you have zero knowledge about

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Svetonio and tables_turning like this.
  8. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

"...and what exactly is a dream?...and what exactly is a joke?"

JamesLord and Steve G like this.
  9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry man I didn't know that I was arguing with a connoisseur of "freakbeat"! :biglaugh:
    But for the end of our little discussion, I'd like to post my own description of "genre-in-retrospective" called freakbeat, fully respecting the fact that the term was coined in 1980 i.e. during mod revival in England: it's all kind of the 60s English underground psych music that stop to be interesting immediately when a punker gotta grow sometime and hence stop to swallow LSD everyday :winkgrin:

p.s. Oh and if you just said that Barrett's The Pink Floyd weren't freakbeat due to lack of cohesive rhythm on Piper LP, it would make much more sense than everything what you have been posting on this thread :agree:

10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

They never played New York in 1967. Gigs were cancelled.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  11. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

You are correct sir ! .... I forgot about the work-visa snafu ...

<Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd News>

12. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

July 24, 1968 .... 50 years ago today ...... on tour in America ....
    a late addition to a "British Invasion" show at Philly's JFK stadium, Pink Floyd gets rained on and out, and The Troggs and The Who are cancelled altogether .... (so what did they all go and do afterwards ?)

a Who fan who was there remembers ...
    THE COLONEL REMEMBERS: Pictures Of <strike>Lily</strike> Philly

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  13. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

It sounds like John Peel was tripping that afternoon in Hyde Park. The way that review was written, it sure sounds like it.

Does a decent recording exist/circulate of the Pink Floyd performance that day? I'd like to hear it!

14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I enjoy his wah wah playing on "Corporal Clegg" - raw, nothing fancy or technical, and that's what I like about it...and to get back to what was being said before wuite freakbeat to me.
    Of course, he didn't sound like the latter David Gilmour.

15. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

The band itself was very tight, to me all of them play a key role but I really don't see why the appeal for Syd Barrett even today remains so high. The music just sounded all over the place. Astronomy Domine is an excellent opener but the album as a whole really is not a very enjoyable listen. A Saucer Full of Secretes is more enjoyable for me and that is when Gilmour arrived. You start to see the band blossom as musicians. Once we get into the Meddle days it was full on. I don't think Barrett would have led the band there so in hindsight I think Barrett having his issues pushed Waters to put them on the right path.

16. I don’t think anyone is comparing them as guitarist but Syd as the leader, singer and main songwriter had a profound impact of on music with limited releases.

ToneLa likes this.
  17. I would argue that they pushed them in a different direction—one equally valid.

18. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

Well as I said, Floyd with Waters and Gilmour was much more enjoyable all around listen for me.

Svetonio likes this.
  19. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

IMHO Barrett is akin to Brian Jones. Great musical minds that founded their sound, but they get more credit than maybe they deserve for where the band ended up. Floyd just like the Stones ended up in such a different place than where they were intended to go, and I'm thankful for where that. I understand that their starting point is important, but in a lot of ways both bands evolved and morphed into something totally different once their founders were gone. And in Syd's case it was essentially 1 1/2 albums. I think Barrett is deified in part because he wasn't in the band for very long. I wonder what his legacy might've been had he stayed in the band for 20 years and they cranked out terrible album after terrible album. Would they have been a flash in the pan along with some of the other bands of that era that had one great album then flamed out? We'll never know.

20. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Not true. They played the Cheetah Club in Los Angeles and NY. The NY show was reviewed in Variety and Record World. Its actually all in the link you posted.

GoodKitty likes this.
  21. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Six Bachelors and GoodKitty like this.
  22. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Yes. It's one of the important elements. Gilmour's unique guitar playing was also a major factor

23. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Has it now been released separately then? What's the dvd called? I may have to buy this!

24. Beatle Ed

Beatle Ed Forum Resident

Or ineptitude, depending on how you look at it! :D I tend to agree with Gilmour that Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother were a low point of thrashing around to find direction. The live record is very good though.

ohnothimagen and RobNeil like this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The volume books are available individually since 2017. For Pink Floyd '68, check out The Early Years 1968: Germin/ation.

Beatle Ed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.