David Letterman to retire in 2015. Stephen Colbert to take over.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Poor Napoleon, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Sheesh. I never really considered Colbert (or Stewart, for that matter) "intellectually deep". I consider them one-note topical
    comedians with a limited appeal that is self-enforced. It will be interesting to see if Colbert and his writers choose to try to
    broaden his appeal for the national network audience, or simply continue to preach to the choir. Jimmy Fallon (with more actual
    comedic and musical talent) has been making attempts to reach out across Party lines and has a more watchable show now.

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I never said Colbert or Stewart were intellectually deep. I was just challenging the notion that Carson was, and that a person is a "Johnny H8ter" if they point out that Carson's humor was extremely corny or that the content of his interviews was often quite vapid. Like I said, I miss Carson's ability to let the spotlight shine on his guests rather than himself, as well as the spontaneity of his show, both qualities that are sadly lacking in today's hosts. But I also think people view Carson with the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia and forget how lightweight and silly his show really was most of the time.

I'm sure Colbert will try to broaden his appeal on the new show. The focus of his current show is politics, and the focus of The Late Show is not, and on a show that is aimed at a wide audience it doesn't make sense to alienate a large group of potential viewers.

3. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I hope that Colbert leaves the "try to please everyone" to Fallon, and continues to skewer what needs skewering. That's one of the things that makes him great.

jupiter8, JimC, Cassius and 3 others like this.
  4. Or how dated-feeling it was as well. I find it odd that anyone born after Carson took over The Tonight Show has much affection for him, as he always struck me like he was pitching to the pre-Boomer generation. As a teen discovering the late night TV scene in the '80s, I only watched the show if Leno or Rivers were guest-hosting.

misterdecibel likes this.
  5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Definitely. By the 80s he was kind of the last man standing who was still practicing the silly/cornball Laugh-In style of humor. His comedy didn't much appeal to me at all when I was a teenager in the 80s. It felt dated at the time, and I much preferred the sarcasm and irony of Letterman. I've since come to really appreciate his interviewing skills and general appeal as a personality, but it still puzzles me that anyone would use the word "sophistication" in the context of describing his show.

MRamble and Dudley Morris like this.
  7. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

FWIW.....LOS ANGELES (AP) —
    Stephen Colbert will be paying a visit to CBS' "Late Show," his future home.
    The network said Tuesday that Colbert will be a guest on "Late Show with David Letterman" on April 22.

8. Probably a variation of the same retro-coolness that has made Mad Men so popular. Carson was a holdover from that Kennedy space-age era when men were men, women were women, you actually read Playboy for the articles, and everyone made sophisticated chat about current events and culture over a cocktail or six in a smoke-hazed environment.

MRamble likes this.
  9. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I share your sentiments on Carson in the '80s. It baffled me why anyone would want to watch him instead of Letterman. The monologues were painful to watch at times.

However, seeing some of the YouTube videos from the sixties, it shows a certain vigor absent from his later years. It seems Carson, at some point having trounced all competition, grew complacent and the show suffered accordingly. You could say the same about Letterman now.

swandown, MRamble and Dudley Morris like this.
  10. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Is that how long it will be 'til Dave has a show that isn't a re-run?

11. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I thought Paul and band were off supporting the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions this week. If so, that would explain the reruns.

Oh, and who should take over Paul's spot?

MRamble likes this.
  12. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Way back when 21-year-olds were considered legal adults and held responsible for their own decisions. This usually included smoking, drinking, voting and supporting themselves by working.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What? When were they not?

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh, BTW, I think Colbert is a great choice. I hope he does bring a little of that character he does to the show.

15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Ringo?

16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Maybe Hugh Laurie?

guy incognito and frankfan1 like this.
  17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

18. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I'll be happy is she doesn't and has no intentiona of replacing Ferguson in that 12:30 time slot. But that interview is a load of BS.

"During the interview with DeGeneres, Handler confirmed what her manager Irzing Azoff told TheWrap earlier this week: The flashing of the CBS logo was unintentional." The reading materialwith the CBS logo in the photo was placed upside down to Handler, who was supposedly reading it, to give the camera a clear shot of exactly what it was.

And, ""I like to jobs that no one's ever done. ... I like to create my own thing ...". Has Handler ever done anything that could be considered original or unique to her?

19. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

This is kind of like playing tennis with myself, but I'm going to go with Trent Reznor.

20. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

The Mountain Goats, one of Stephen's favorite bands.

21. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

22. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I think Colbert is a Rush fan. Geddy Lee? Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys?

23. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It's 40 % chance Colbert will succeed.
    If he fails I like to see what cbs does.?

Problem with Colbert a lot people hate him
    then there are his fans .
    with Lettermen you liked him or ignored him.
    Hate, is stronger than like.

24. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

BS

25. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Yes! Brilliantly funny and musically gifted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.