David Letterman to retire in 2015. Stephen Colbert to take over.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Poor Napoleon, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Ferguson did a full Desmond Tutu show. Once again, Letterman's production company.

2. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Tutu is a more well known figure than Zevon is/was.

3. SoundAdvice

I view a death bed Zevon as bigger, under his openly discussed circumstances.

4. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

How about Dana Carvey?

5. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I go to bed early these days, but I'll assume he's still there and ask 'What about Paul?' The Zevon good-bye show was excellent. I became a fan of Letterman when he had a daytime show and I watched him at night for years. I'm glad he's in charge of his retirement. Everyone should be.

krock2009 likes this.
  6. None of the above. If we're gonna consider that route, and if he could pull off the interviews, how about: Wayne Brady. The right age (43 by the time Letterman retires); personable; no baggage I'm aware of; proven strong improv skills, which could get put to manic use for viral-ready bits.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  7. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Nothing like that had ever been done....I'm pretty sure as far as late night comedy is concerned. That show was great, touching and weird all at the same time. And what about having U2 as the musical guest for a full week? Brilliant!

Question I have is this. Does Dave even know who is his replacement? Does he have a running list? Will he even be the one to make that decision or have a heavy hand in picking his replacement?

My hope is this....that whoever it is, we've never heard of them. You know, like a writer or a short run game host that's maybe done a little stand-up or not and just has that spark. The only way we can judge them is to watch every night like many others. Who new that Johnny Carson had it? Conan flopped for weeks until he found his legs. Chevy Chase struggled for........ok not him. But you know what I mean, IMO it would be the way to go. Take a chance on someone.

AKA and krock2009 like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A) I think Jerry is much too wealthy and is keenly aware of the risk of failing, b) I don't think he's interested in a talkshow at all, and c) he's too old (60).

I'd kinda like to see Conan O'Brien take it, but I think the reality from a network point of view is that they'll hire some 40-year-old guy named Jimmy who's good at sketch comedy, has no experience in broadcasting, and is very tied in to Twitter, Facebook, and other kinds of social networking. I suspect they'll grab somebody from out of nowhere.

As much as I think Craig Ferguson is very funny and genuine, I don't think he wants to the job and I don't think he'd do well. It's gonna be a huge competition at 11:30PM next year once Letterman leaves.

Even Carson wasn't given the opportunity to choose his replacement, and NBC didn't seek out his advice. I think once Dave leaves, he no longer owns the timeslot... though technically, his company does still own the Ferguson show. I suspect he'd willingly relinquish the "Late Night" franchise and just walk away clean.

AKA likes this.
  9. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Blender and krock2009 like this.
  10. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Conan had The White Stripes on for a full week in 2002, and Craig Kilborn had Morrissey on for a full week in 2004. Dave did pioneer that trend, having John Fogerty on 2 nights in a row in 1997, and having Natalie Merchant on for an unplanned second night in 2001.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Now that Letterman has an endgame in sight, I bet he'll really step it up and get really edgy and crazy in the weeks leading up to his retirement. Hey, how 'bout if he gives the show to Conan, then suddenly returns six months later and takes the show back? Naaaaa, been done before.

Dan Kennedy likes this.
  12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

13. Gregory Earl

I did not know that.

Billy Infinity, Vidiot and krock2009 like this.
  14. Gregory Earl

I agree. He's given us all a reason to not miss a show from this point on. I must admit I at this point in my life miss 99% of all late night shows. I got a job now and.....

Vidiot likes this.
  15. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Here's a longer version of the retirement announcement.

16. Wow, Mills has really let himself go hasn't he? He looks a helluva lot older than he did 30 years ago.

krock2009 likes this.
  17. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

He's been running on fumes for 5 years, but at least he can say that he finally beat Jay Leno!

18. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The week or Morrissey performances were cancelled. He eventually did two nights later that Summer where he hilariously forgot the words to I Have Forgiven Jesus. And a third performance a month later.

The last time he performed on Letterman in 2007 he actually blamed the cold temperatures in the studio for giving him throat problems and eventually cancelled a week of concert dates (to which I had tickets for all of them).

"Singer Morrissey has cancelled shows scheduled for Wednesday, June 27, at the Pines Theatre in Northampton, and June 29 at the Mann Center in Philadelphia, citing a throat infection that forced him to end his concert Tuesday in Boston after just 30 minutes.
    UPDATE: Morrissey on Friday cancelled his show scheduled for Saturday, June 30, at Madison Square Garden.

The singer pinned the blame on arctic temperatures in the Ed Sullivan Theatre in New York, where he taped an appearance Monday for "Late Night With David Letterman" (the show, on which he debuts the new song "That's How People Grow Up," airs Friday).

During the intro to "National Front Disco" Morrissey told the audience, "We recorded the David Letterman Show last night in a studio that was 30 degrees below zero. Twenty-nine degrees below I can take but 30 below was too much and unfortunately it will not just be the emotions cracking tonight but my voice as well." Three songs later, he called it quits.

Both nixed shows are expected to be rescheduled. Check here for information on the Northampton concert and here for details on Philly. His management is working to reschedule the cancelled dates, and hopes to make an announcement early the week of July 2. The tour is now expected to continue July 2 at Wolf Trap in Vienna, Va.

krock2009 likes this.
  19. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

30 years ago he was about 25-26, now he's 55-56.

20. SoundAdvice

Isn't it a variation of Cavett having someone like Harrison on for a full hour or John Lennon doing a week of shows with Mike Douglas(?)?

21. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Not really. I think he looks okay; like a 55-year-old man.

22. SoundAdvice

Look up recent photos of Stipe with his grey beard.

AKA likes this.
  23. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Exactly. Celebrities get way too much **** for looking their own age. I think they should be applauded.

905 and JimC like this.
  24. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Gonna miss Dave,The Jimmy's are funny but I keep flipping back to Dave.

OldSoul and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.