David Lewiston, Musical Explorer, Dies at 88

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christopher, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic Thread Starter

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

David Lewiston's Nonesuch Explorer Series helped bring a lot of "world music" to my turntable. I sought out as many of those titles as I could come across in the second hand bins. They had attractive artwork, were well-annotated, usually in great condition, and inexpensive. As a bonus (as I was later able to appreciate) many (most?) of the recordings were mastered by Robert Ludwig. The man's work truly did open musical doors to the world. Rest In Peace, Mr. Lewiston.

Jeff Kent and christopher like this.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

4. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

5. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

While discussions about "golden ages" of recorded the music,even those late'60s' discussions overlook the perfect storm of college radio/commercial underground radio/stereo FM creating a beast that was feeding a stream of new sounds for new ears, lasting more that three minutes,all for free. Folks on a budget could enter a well-stocked Sam Goodys and select a handful of new listening experiences for the price of a couple of mainstream albums. Lewiston,Jac Holzman and Teresa Sterne made Nonesuch a label always worth taking a chance with results that still resonate today.

christopher and jamesmaya like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.