David Lindley question.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CarlosofCoronado, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Rosemary Butler

2. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Saw DL with Peter Ryland Cooder and son
    Doesn't get better than that
    Except with Jackson B.....

3. Wally Cleaver

Wally Cleaver Forum Resident

I have all three el-rayo X cds. I love em. Before you leave this world you gotta pay the man! I also have Twango Bango II with Wally Ingram; not as good but Sport Utility Suck is my theme song!

4. CarlosofCoronado

CarlosofCoronado Forum Resident Thread Starter

rockfeat wrote:

The solo was the one at the end of "And That Girl Could sing".......to answer the OP question

---Many many thanks, and now to get a copy. As to the query re the cover, my fragile mind has no recall, only that it was in the last century :)

Cheers to all

Carlos

5. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I saw Mr. Dave and El Rayo X many, many times in the late 80s. Just tremendous. Unfortunately he suffers from tinnitis so the loud shows are out. :( Maybe he should chat with Pete Townshend about whatever fix PT is using.

6. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

Sounds like a bad Frankie Valli impression.

7. rockfeat

rockfeat Forum Farmer

Yeah, and everybody in the band and the audience was cracking up! Much fun!! :D

8. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Loved him in the group Kaliedoscope ( along with Chris Darrow ) and play all their 60s recordings on a regular basis.

9. Kaleidoscope, not to be confused with the UK band, were a great melting pot of styles ... psych, prog, roots, folk, world, rock ... love 'em!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaleidoscope_(US_band)

FYI - El Rayo lovers who have the 3 studio releases ... there is also an OOP Asylum/WEA German vinyl pressing titled "El Rayo Live" from 1983 Cat# 96.0235-1 to keep an eye out for ...it is excellent. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

10. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Jackson Browne and David Lindley played a No Nukes type benifit in Columbia, SC with John Sebastian. A friend of mine was back stage and while David was playing a solo on lap steel and guitar, he asked Jackson " Does David ever make a mistake?" The reply, "Not so's you'd notice."

Later he was asking David about an obscure Kaleidoscope fact, David told him, "Man, you know to much."

11. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Mercury Blues and Spodie .................:) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

12. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Also available on Japanese cd, and it's wonderful. A blistering performance of Mercury Blues that will peel the paint off your walls.

13. Skip Reynolds

Also, Mr. Dave himself sells a fantastic (no other word will do) CD of live Rayo-X. For sale direct from his website.

14. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

I remember that tour as well.

Boy that takes you back . I couldnt remember the year,I thought possibly 72 ? I remember them playing at the Auditorium Theatre in Riochester New York . The venue was at the end of the street where I lived for a month. Freezing cold out . Snowing like hell ... But it was great just walking 100 yards and catching that show with Linda and Jackson . What was the guys name that was playing lead for Linda ? I cant remember it to save my soul . I think it was a Jewish guy,well known at the time and very good .
    Lyndley played I believe an old Rickenbacker lap steel . You could buy those in upsate New York at that time for $50.00 no one knew what to do with them . David L had a lot to do with Jacksons sound and had that dirty blues sound on the lap steel ,it distorted but sounded great,I think he played a Tele 6 string on a lot of tunes as well . Can you believe that was 35 years ago ? The funny thing I recall . It was possible 10 degrees out and David was wearing a short sleeve Hawaiin shirt . By the by . Lindas band carried no slouches either . I think they used some of the same players ? Does anyone remember ?

15. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

That show was February 24, 1974...2 days before the show I saw in Willamsburg.
    Bob Warford...He was playing the 2nd b-bender ever made. Bob and his Dad built the "pull-string" mechanism from scratch using Gene Parsons' plans in 1968.

[​IMG]

Warford, Andrew Gold, Kenny Edwards, John Ware. Some dates on this tour Richard Bowden played. Jackson's drummer, Larry Zack, played congas on one of Linda's songs. Lloyd Myers replaced Ware on drums the following month when Linda hooked up with James Taylor's Walking Man Tour. BTW, Jackson's bass player, Doug Haywood, had just moved from Linda's band to Jackson's immediately before this tour, when Kenny signed back up.

I took this picture of Linda and Bob at the William & Mary show.

[​IMG]

I should dig out some of my pictures from Jackson's portion of the show. David is in many of them.

16. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Neat Pics. I have heard FM broadcasts from Detroit and a couple of other dates from this tour. Great shows!!!

17. Russea

Russea Active Member

Not to mention the several other cd's available on his site!They're all excellent with special mention to the Ry Cooder /Lindley double disc-expensive($40) ,but you'll forget all about the usual guitar "heroes".Among the best from either artist!.

18. Gerbaby

Gerbaby Forum Resident

Andrew Gold was who I was thinking of .

Thanks for the heads up . Jake

19. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

20. Skip Reynolds

21. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

"Very Greasy" with El Rayo-X, "Playing Even Better" with percussionist Hani Naser and "Twango Bango III" with drummer Wally Ingram are my favourite albums of David Lindley.
    At the time, he is going completely solo, but I like his stylistical transformations of songs much better when they feature some other instrumental accompaniment as well as his own string mastery.

22. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

All these 3 different releases of the same live album, or are they different performances and worth seeking out?

23. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Two different releases:

First on vinyl and then Japanese CD from 1983:

Wooly Bully
    Turning Point
    Talk To The Lawyer
    Spodie
    Rag Bag
    Mercury Blues

From David's web site CD of recordings from 1986:

Do You Wanna Dance
    Papa Was A Rolling Stone
    Jah Reggae
    You Been Doing Somthing Wrong, I Can Tell By The Way You Smell
    Bon Temps Roulie
    Alien Invasion
    Quarter Of A Man
    Your Old Lady
    Turning Point
    I'm A Hog For You Baby
    Rave On

24. Skip Reynolds

A) ... there is also an OOP Asylum/WEA German vinyl pressing titled "El Rayo Live" from 1983 Cat# 96.0235-1 to keep an eye out for ...it is excellent.

B) ... Also available on Japanese cd, and it's wonderful. A blistering performance of Mercury Blues that will peel the paint off your walls.

C) ...Also, Mr. Dave himself sells a fantastic (no other word will do) CD of live Rayo-X. For sale direct from his website.

A and B are the same album, with the hideous day-glo pink cover. Only has six songs, but at least three of them are absolute must-have's regardless of price. (Wooly Bully, Mercury Blues, Rag Bag.)

C is a newer CD, 14 songs, hideous orange cover, also a must-have.

25. Skip Reynolds

Just in case you have trouble seeing them...

The Pink Album (giggle) is Elektra WPCP-3444 "Made In Japan"

BTW, I'm not a slob- the splatters are part of the cover art.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.